How hard is it to term a TM for internal theft?

Hey all,

We have a TM in my department who is stealing. Probably been doing it for months, maybe even years, mostly grocery items and jewelry. (Absolutely positive theft by the way.) Our ETL-AP (plainclothes) has been watching them on the floor every shift for at least a week and a half. Of course everyone in our store knows who our ETL-AP is and some TMs have noticed that this TM is being watched by AP. So word got around. The TM went to our SD yesterday and claimed racism and that they're going to sue.
I honestly just am shocked that this TM still has a job. When they came into work today I was blown away honestly. I thought it was funny though cause even after the TM threatened to sue, I noticed our AP-ETL was still trailing behind them for a chunk of the day today 😂
I ended up reporting this TM because they kept disappearing for hours and "shopping" on the clock. Then we found out it was more than just disappearing haha.

Anyways, how long does it take to "build a case" on internals? It blows my mind they don't get rid of them the second they steal anything. I feel gross having to work with this TM. I wonder if Spot is actually threatened by the potential lawsuit.

Last edited:
If you’re not AP, plain clothes or shirted, then mind your business. You expressing your “disgust” of another person because of their actions that do not affect you in anyway is strange. At my store, TLs don’t tell us about other TM’s business, so the fact that this has spread around and no one Hi-po has attempted to quell this is interesting. We literally had a TM termed for internal theft a little ago and none of us noticed. We shut up about it because we aren’t allowed to talk about it or we get informal reprimand.
Your do not know this TM’s outside situation.
if they sue the company, it’ll have nothing to do with YOU.

If you’re not AP, plain clothes or shirted, then mind your business. You expressing your “disgust” of another person because of their actions that do not affect you in anyway is strange. At my store, TLs don’t tell us about other TM’s business, so the fact that this has spread around and no one Hi-po has attempted to quell this is interesting. We literally had a TM termed for internal theft a little ago and none of us noticed. We shut up about it because we aren’t allowed to talk about it or we get informal reprimand.
Whoa there buddy. Honestly, I don't care about the theft. Do I agree with it? Hell no, but the fact that this TM has been slacking off for an extremely long time and shopping for 30+ minutes on the clock nearly every shift while we have to pick up their slack is what is infuriating me. The theft was just an accidental find. It is gross to me that anyone with lack of integrity like that would be kept when there are people who genuinely want the hours and are honest people. I don't like to get my nose into other people's business but at this point it is affecting our team. Regardless, I'm more interested in how Target handles internal theft and what the polices are. I could care less about the TMs situation.
The way you're acting makes me think you're from my store and know this person.

I’m definitely not from your store because If a grown man was coming to me about gossip like that i would throw up.
Secondly, your AP is eyeing this guy. He’s going to get fired. That’s what always happens in the end. At my target they wait until your theft totals up to a certain amount, 500 dollars IIRC. Just do your work and mind your business. Really.

Regardless, I'm more interested in how Target handles internal theft and what the polices are.
Why? Are you planning on following the TM's example? Seriously, the advice to MYOB is good. Unless you're called upon to corroborate the TM's behavior - and it's extremely unlikely you will be - this is something to steer clear of, now and in the future. Let your AP do their job and stay out of their way.

Whoa there buddy. Honestly, I don't care about the theft. Do I agree with it? Hell no, but the fact that this TM has been slacking off for an extremely long time and shopping for 30+ minutes on the clock nearly every shift while we have to pick up their slack is what is infuriating me. The theft was just an accidental find. It is gross to me that anyone with lack of integrity like that would be kept when there are people who genuinely want the hours and are honest people. I don't like to get my nose into other people's business but at this point it is affecting our team. Regardless, I'm more interested in how Target handles internal theft and what the polices are. I could care less about the TMs situation.
The way you're acting makes me think you're from my store and know this person.
Target AP is reportedly the best in the business. They don't have to watch. They have it on tape. They often wait until the total amount reaches felony level, then arrest.

Trust me, they know what they are doing.

Whoa... taking it personal!? You’re actually talking about your situation at your store. And then disrespectfully telling another not too.. GLASS HOUSE

Why does everyone always tell everyone to mind their own business in such a rude manner around here? The point of this forum is to interact with each other, seek information and advice, and vent. If the advice is to keep your head down and stay out of things, that's sometimes great advice, but why does it have to be delivered so rudely? Like the person is personally coming after YOU. SO rude.

The deleted OP said this TM's behavior was very negatively affecting his team. That is something to legitimately be upset about. Whether they can do anything about it or not, venting and seeking HELPFUL advice on this forum is something we should all be able to do without being belittled. Lighten the fuck up, people.

Not that it matters at this point because OP deleted their account, but just wanted to chip in on the popular rumor that AP waits to hit felony level before closing out an internal. Whilst this may be true for some stores, it is definitely not best practice and is written nowhere in any training we receive. Some AP teams more than likely do this to boost their own stats or to get a really good case to put on their resume to help them move up the chain, however best practice is to identify the theft, build a case and close it out as soon as it's air tight. I've closed out internals after just a weeks worth of review before. The only time I can say I would wait on closing an already air tight internal, was if the dollar value was less than maybe twenty dollars, I might wait a month to see if they'll take anything else and if not I'd just pull them. I've pulled a team member for stealing a 5 dollar gift card two months before I pulled them.

Another little side note I saw in the thread is AP physically conducting sales floor surveillance on a team member. This is definitely not best practice and could potentially cause a lot of issues, including trouble for the AP team member. Best practice for internal investigations is to rely solely on video review, live camera surveillance, reporting and covert camera strategy.

EDIT to answer the original question of how long it takes to build an internal case. The absolute quickest it could likely be done (except for very specific cases) is probably about three days. One full day to gather all the reporting/video review if it's a fairly clean cut case that doesn't require a covert strategy. Then another day where the team member is working, AP will usually swap their shift to come in an hour before the team member, hide in the office and conduct a full day of live camera surveillance. Theoretically the team member could be then pulled on their next shift.

Last edited:

Oh you couldn't possibly be any more full of shit. Team members stealing from your store does impact you in multiple ways.

It increases shortage thus reduces profitability which does have an impact on the other team members, if only to a small degree.
It increases workload with incorrect on hand counts and having to spend extra time researching and correcting inventory, which is a noticeable direct impact.
It increases workload for other people when team members are loafing and wasting time by stealing, thus essentially stealing payroll also, which is an extremely noticeable and direct impact.

According to your logic, theft is permissible and morally right "depending on their outside situation."

It's not "strange" in the least bit to be upset by this, which is just a passive way of you personally calling the other poster a racist for disliking the fact that a person of color is stealing hours and merchandise, haha.

Absolutely pathetic.

OP was correct in reporting the behavior, but needs to let it go after that. Yes, Target is on the case and they're likely going to allow it to become a felony before terming, which in itself is wrong imo but I'm guessing it solidifies their case to get rid of them permanently with little chance of repercussion on the back end and reduces their actual overall cost in the long run.

But you are pathetic in so many ways for thinking this doesn't impact OP. It does.

Last edited:
It seems to me they just wanted to find out how long it may take their store to get rid of this thorn in their side. Can't say I blame them for wanting the person gone. It's very aggravating when one is a hard worker and seems to be doing everything right while other TMs slack off (never mind actually steal) and go about their business, getting paid the same with no consequences. Obviously they will drop the hammer on this TM soon, so OP should just bide their time - things will be taken care of soon enough, and in the meantime I would just do my job and try not to let it bother me.

In my early years an ETL told me a few things about AP:
Unless it's a single big heist, they likely will not term you after a single theft.
They look to see if once was an aberration; anything more indicates a pattern.
They also would NOT coach someone for theft because the TM would simply adopt more covert methods even if put on final.
As my AP said, people don't stop stealing when they're caught, they just hide it better so a TM caught stealing was an instant term.

I'll just say I have had to set in on a internal investigation with our APTL and someone from district/group AP on the phone. I was there to take notes in the event the TM decided to dispute anything they said or AP later on after the the interview. Hardest thing I ever had to do at any job and never want to do it again.

Back