Archived How high can you go

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImBaffled

Addicted to pulling
How far up the ladder can you get with no degree. If you theoretically had amazing interviewing/communication skills paired with an amazing work ethic etc. how far can you climb up the ladder at target without a piece of paper? Me and another tm were talking about this the other day as we both want to develop but he does not have a degree.

I was told that was grandfathered out, and all new ETLs must have a bachelor's degree. Maybe it is just my district. Since senior is gone, I guess it is just Team leader

No longer required for store level. Both ETL and SF only require bachelors degree OR equivalent experience. Im pretty sure most target positions no longer require them because they realize it doesn’t matter. I know a DSD and a PMPB without degrees. It’s not typical but it’s doable

I have an AMAZING beyond amazing ETL who has no degree. It's not common but when it happened for us it was the best thing for our store in many ways. I miss that person though. They don't work with our core team anymore. Great leader, great person.

I definitely agree. My favorite ETL in the passed had no degree. He knew how the store worked instead of just graduating and quitting in a couple years. They were the worst.

My previous SD was promoted with no degree. I also know a DSD in my group without a degree.

I'm pretty sure it is district by district, store by store. In mine it is required to have a bachelor's degree. I only know because I asked during my interview with the HRBP what was required for ETL. But, your store very well may allow above TL to not have a degree. I personally have a degree and have never used it, so it has basically been a worthless piece of paper for quite a while now.

I'm pretty sure it is district by district, store by store. In mine it is required to have a bachelor's degree. I only know because I asked during my interview with the HRBP what was required for ETL. But, your store very well may allow above TL to not have a degree. I personally have a degree and have never used it, so it has basically been a worthless piece of paper for quite a while now.
They typically say it's a requirement for external hires but it's not. They can't legally deny someone solely on the reason they do not have a degree as they have posted on the job posting that a 4 year degree OR equivalent experience. They could easily say someone isn't the right fit or doesn't have the right experience but to flat out tell someone they won't be hired because a lack of degree would be illegal.

They typically say it's a requirement for external hires but it's not. They can't legally deny someone solely on the reason they do not have a degree as they have posted on the job posting that a 4 year degree OR equivalent experience. They could easily say someone isn't the right fit or doesn't have the right experience but to flat out tell someone they won't be hired because a lack of degree would be illegal.
never considered it like that I thought hiring standards were a company by company thing and requiring a degree was totally legal...but I guess the companies just put that as a preference? lol I mean it makes sense I guess but wow I would hate to be an ETL though all they do is stress stress stress at my store...My old TL who became a ETL without a degree isnt so physically stressed anymore but I can see they have a ton of different shit to worry about that wasn't a problem before

You don’t necessarily need a degree for any position in the company other than perhaps analytics or advertising. It helps but it’s how involved you are with your leaders and their leaders. The degree is only important if you’re coming in to a company as a new hire.

never considered it like that I thought hiring standards were a company by company thing and requiring a degree was totally legal...but I guess the companies just put that as a preference? lol I mean it makes sense I guess but wow I would hate to be an ETL though all they do is stress stress stress at my store...My old TL who became a ETL without a degree isnt so physically stressed anymore but I can see they have a ton of different shit to worry about that wasn't a problem before
Companies can have their own standards yes but target as a company does not require it and clearly states that in their job requirements on their website so for a specific DSD or store to say otherwise would be wrong. They can’t state that the only reason you didn’t get the job is based of something they state on their website is not a requirement.

Companies can have their own standards yes but target as a company does not require it and clearly states that in their job requirements on their website so for a specific DSD or store to say otherwise would be wrong. They can’t state that the only reason you didn’t get the job is based of something they state on their website is not a requirement.
Something I should've known day one. Damn. Glad I didn't spread any bad knowledge on this subject.

No offense to any ETLs who came in straight out of college, but I have never had a good experience with them. In fact, I am only a TL, and I could wipe the floor with one of our ETLs at the moment. ZERO communication or decision making skills. All they do is sit in the office, on a computer and will come out to help for about one hour total per day. And this dip stick makes more money than I do. For doing less work. It’s pretty great.

Recently promoted to ETL and I do not have a bachelor's degree. Some districts may require it and in my district that was the myth too. Truth is it’s up to the DTL and HRBP. These “requirements” aren’t set in stone. They can make the decision to look past that.

I’ve learned that if they want you to be somewhere they’ll make it happen. These rules and requirements are just guides. Unless like someone said you’re dealing in the finance department or something.

Recently promoted to ETL and I do not have a bachelor's degree. Some districts may require it and in my district that was the myth too. Truth is it’s up to the DTL and HRBP. These “requirements” aren’t set in stone. They can make the decision to look past that.

I’ve learned that if they want you to be somewhere they’ll make it happen. These rules and requirements are just guides. Unless like someone said you’re dealing in the finance department or something.
Congrats!

I have a Bachelor's Degree, like a lot of people I work with and have worked with. I've been offered TL positions and never took them because I never planned on working at Target for as long as I have. A couple of my friends have trained to be TLs with no result. Neither have had degrees. It's an unwritten rule as far as I'm concerned.

I would say theoretically you could go as high as someone with a degree could. ETL has happened as people here have stated. And I feel like, at that point, they don't give a shit who has a degree and who doesn't, Promoting from that point on depends on how much of a "rockstar" you are for the company. Again I could be wrong, but with my experience at target I totally feel like this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back