How Long Did It Take You??

Hello everybody. I am new to Target and I am in flexible fulfillment. I will be going in for my third shift tonight. It seems like a fun job, but I would love to know how long it took you to get the job nailed down as far as understanding how to do your tasks successfully/at a good pace. I've found it to be a little confusing so far, but again I have only had two shifts of 3 hours each up to this point.

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

It took me a while! You never really stop learning things at target. Do you have any specific questions that might help if you asked? Good luck :)

Not really! Seriously most of the stuff is simple it's very repetitive and can be boring. Speed is of the essence at The Dog. Sometimes speed is valued more than accuracy, that depends who the departmental manager is. I will not use the word leader. Most of them have unrealistic expectations. Ask questions, stay focused, be punctual and cut the bullshitting while working. It's a decent stepping stone gig and realize you will be working with some very strange inexperienced people. Do your thing, do it well, keep your mouth shut.

Thanks guys! Tonight was great, I learned a lot and had fun doing it. I did get tripped up when the team lead asked me to cut a box down at the bottom and put it in the gaylord... I had absolutely no idea what any of that meant. Turns out it was more or less to break down the box and put in with the other boxes to be used/built up for later. Now I know what a gaylord is evidently

It takes 8 to 12 weeks to become fully self sufficient. Lots of people hit a wall about 3 weeks in. It’s not just learning the job but learning to manage your TLs expectations and the little details (like troubleshooting the printer).

It takes 8 to 12 weeks to become fully self sufficient. Lots of people hit a wall about 3 weeks in. It’s not just learning the job but learning to manage your TLs expectations and the little details (like troubleshooting the printer).
I can definitely see that

I think this is the most important advice when it comes to any job. I find that the most reliable and hardworking seasonal team members are the ones that ask the most questions.
Lord knows I've been asking my share lol

Omg I hope he meant the " baler" instead of the "gaylord" or do people call it that? 😂😂😂

Wow i always learn something new. People trip out sometimes because I say the word wayco and they are like wtf is that. I have never heard anyone in my store call that big carboard box thing a gaylord lol.

Wow i always learn something new. People trip out sometimes because I say the word wayco and they are like wtf is that. I have never heard anyone in my store call that big carboard box thing a gaylord lol.

Me either lol. Had no idea whatsoever what was being asked of me and honestly neither did a few of the members I was asking either. I’ve worked retail in general for several years, mainly as summer jobs, but nope

I never heard of gaylords before Target either, lol! Same for wacos and eaches. I love the word eaches, for some reason.

I believe my receiver told me years ago they are called Gaylord because they are manufactured in Gaylord Texas

I believe my receiver told me years ago they are called Gaylord because they are manufactured in Gaylord Texas
Oh I never heard that one before. I never heard it from anyone else but I was always under the assumption they got the name from Gaylord Nelson. Since Target was always all about being "green". He was the founder of Earth Day FYI. But I could be entirely wrong on that.

Last week I watched my SD damn near bite a seasonal’s head off, this week he’s running circles around others. Gotta love how they grow.

Master google here to settle the gaylord question.
It’s a name brand of a box company if you don’t want to read about it

Flex? Two hours for me but I been with the company before taking over Flex as a TL. I was never in the department when I got the position but I knew how to pull, Backstock, and I knew sales floor so it was easy due to my Backroom and sales floor experience.

It took two hours because I went in as TL so there was some reporting and backend things I had to learn.

Speaking from a TL point of view to be successful with Flex I think you have to have a strong team morale. My team all had each other’s back and it was fun at times. So in regards to you I would seek out the team members your leader trust the most and learn from them.

Back