How long on bench

How long are you normally on the bench for? Let’s say a position you want comes up and you think your fit for it and so does everyone else in the store thinks you should get it except your SD what advice would you have going into the interview and what would you do if you where me

Prove the SD wrong.

Have a list of your accomplishments, your successes, and your reasons for being qualified. Be prepared for the interview.

Ask for some recommendations. Ask your TL or ETL.

If the SD is unmoved and will not give you a position that everyone thinks you are qualified for, start looking online for another job at another company. Companies will be hiring as the economy keeps opening. Take your talents elsewhere. You might even get more money elsewhere.

In the near future, let it slip on the salesfloor that a friend of yours contacted you about a position in their company. Say you turned it down because you hope to move up in Target but also say it was a very tempting offer. Put some pressure on the SD that you have options and could leave in the future.

3 years. Dont wait that long, i kept getting promises and promises. Had a good relationship with my hrs, etls, and sds (pluralised because they kept coming and going) so i had to keep proving myself over and over. Worked closely with my dsd at the time and would go to stores to help all over with planoramas, remodels, amd just plain failing stores. Finally had enough and said i was going to find a new job amd got promoted 2 days later.

Apply the job. On the bench doesnt really have a time limit or time frame because obviously they need a position open for them. Apply for any leadership position, itll help in the long run to know more roles. Can always change roles later if someone leaves or if a tl shuffle occurs.

It depends. Experience can be very different at another store. Better or worse. Let your store know you're interested in applying and get their blessing.

Talk to others in the district about what's going on there.

I would let them put on the bench for only six months then ask them for an update. If they don't give one start looking for another job.

In those job interviews tell them you are looking more opportunities and their isn't any at Target in the near future.

However I WOULD NOT let them have me do TL work for TM pay in the meantime.

I would let them put on the bench for only six months then ask them for an update. If they don't give one start looking for another job.

In those job interviews tell them you are looking more opportunities and their isn't any at Target in the near future.

However I WOULD NOT let them have me do TL work for TM pay in the meantime.
It is what it is you either do it and hope you get an opportunity soon or dont do TL work and dont get the promotion. It happens everywhere you want to get promoted theyll suck everything out of you till they cant anymore.
Always be looking for other opportunities ive seen many tms promoted faster to etl by leaving target and coming back rather then going tm>tl>etl pathway. I didnt want to do that as ive been with target for 11+ years and didnt wamt to lose that. But it kept me on the bench linger then neccessary

I didn't (and wouldn't) do the bench. I asked for a TL interview and told them I wouldn't be able to stay otherwise, and I meant it. They broke the heart of somebody on the bench, which is unfortunate, but that's how it seems to go. It's like the corporate version of the friendzone.

When I said "In those job interviews tell them you are looking more opportunities and their isn't any at Target in the near future."

I meant when you are interviewing with another company and not Target.

However I still stand by my statements about not doing TL work for TM Pay and leaving after not getting an answer.

Bench and pipeline are two very different things. If you haven't been put through tl interviews and signed off at all levels you aren't on the "bench". If you are a high potential tm with the hopes of moving up at Target, you are in your stores pipeline. My store has had tm who were officially on the bench signed off by dsd, hrbp and they need to wait a few months for a position to open up.

Politics, period.

I wouldn’t recommend ultimatums or threats of leaving.
‘I have seen unqualified people move fast and ALSO seen very qualified people made to wait.
‘Boils down to:
‘Leadership wants to work with their friends - no matter if that person knows their stuff or not.

Sure, qualified and knowledgeable can’t hurt you chances, but it guarantees nothing.
‘Better to get along with other leadership in the building more than the tm’s.

Back