How many concurrent drive-ups can 1 TM handle? 2? 3?

This will vary depending on the kinds of orders you're getting and whether the guests give you enough time, but what would you say is, on average, the number of people in the queue (including both arriving and arrived) that can be handled by 1 TM? How about 2? 3?

When I worked drive-ups, I felt like I could handle up to 6 in the queue by myself without the time slipping over 2 minutes, though it makes for a rough day if that keeps up for more than an hour or two. Two TMs I feel should be able to handle 10-12. Agree/disagree?

Payroll is so tight that we have to be incredibly efficient moving team members around. I'm finding it pretty challenging, and sometimes totally impossible, to keep the time down below or at least close to 2 minutes.

I wouldn't want more than 4 and ideally 2 TM;s for 6 in the queue because it seems like it is never a few items in the same location. At least 2 of the 6 will be in 2-4 locations with up to 15 items or an extra large item. Also it is rare for more than 2 of the 6 to give the "i'm on my way signal". I always try to thank those that do with at least a 6 min time to get the order ready.

I don't regularly do drive ups, so I might not be as quick as the regulars.

A team member should be able to handle bringing out 10 driveups. If there are 10 driveups in 2 carts the person that sorted the carts should be able to explain which is which. I think a team member can bring out 15 drive ups as long as it’s sorted well and explained well. For me it was 5 single bags in the main part of the cart and 1 order in the top and 1 in the bottom. Then in my second cart I had 1 order in each area Top, Middle(main part), Bottom. You have to scan every bag so it isn’t that hard in my opinion. It’s not that hard to check the last name and check how many bags and the stickers on the bag for each order.

Well my store seems to think that 5-7 are able to be handled by 1 person. Which...sure...if they were already to go. But when you get 5-7 with maybe 2 of those ready and the others with no warning and huge grocery orders, it becomes challenging.

Well my store seems to think that 5-7 are able to be handled by 1 person. Which...sure...if they were already to go. But when you get 5-7 with maybe 2 of those ready and the others with no warning and huge grocery orders, it becomes challenging.
Wow just like McDonald’s drive thru. “You get the wrong order when you get home”. Lol

I don't care how many are on the way, if they are kind of staggered. I can handle taking out 2-4 at a time depending on the size. A pop up with a huge grocery order ruins everything. We've had orders fill 2 carts for one guest. I'm not the fastest at the DUs though.

A team member should be able to handle bringing out 10 driveups. If there are 10 driveups in 2 carts the person that sorted the carts should be able to explain which is which. I think a team member can bring out 15 drive ups as long as it’s sorted well and explained well. For me it was 5 single bags in the main part of the cart and 1 order in the top and 1 in the bottom. Then in my second cart I had 1 order in each area Top, Middle(main part), Bottom. You have to scan every bag so it isn’t that hard in my opinion. It’s not that hard to check the last name and check how many bags and the stickers on the bag for each order.
Seems like some other stores do more organizing than mine. What you're describing sounds like there is somebody pulling and prepping those orders, whereas we don't have a person doing that unless we get really busy (say 12 or more).

Right now, we have one opener, one mid and one closer, and the mid gives double coverage for the hours of like 11-7 (give or take).

Hard to know when to switch up strategy to begin prepping. I have a feeling we aren't organizing enough, and as the TL I'm maybe expecting too much of my team? When I do step into the role of prepping, I feel like I can handle 12-15 in the queue.

It really does become challenging. I did this for a long time and I lost a lot of weight in that period.

I'm also noticing the grocery is really picking up as a proportion of the orders, like all our old regulars are now adding lots of grocery. It's amazing for brand and business, but tough on the team.

I've been noticing a lot of grocery too. Even the team has to order their stuff for pick up.

Wow just like McDonald’s drive thru. “You get the wrong order when you get home”. Lol
This works though. I watched my Target do this. They just asked for our name and code then gave the order to us. However, only works well if the cart is organized correctly.

Back