Archived How much trouble can this get me into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. Long time larker, first time poster...Anyway, here's my situation:

About a month ago I went on educational LOA because things at school were just becoming too much. From where I live, I drive 45 mins south to get to school and 25 mins north to get to my store. It was just too much, and my education is more important so I went on LOA. My HR person was okay with this. I've had no problems, except recently....When I went on LOA, I told them to call or email me my schedule (because I cannot access it at home - not sure why, it just won't let me log in) when I was on Spring Break (which is this week). They did that. I emailed them back stating that I cannot work 3 of the days they gave me because of an internship I got at the school in my field of study. The HR person emailed me back saying that she put my shifts in the book for me. When I was in on Saturday I noticed that no one had picked up the shifts - they're middle of the day and my store has mostly high schoolers working, so it doesn't surprise me that they were never filled. I asked some people at my store on Saturday if I could get written up for not showing up, and they all said yes. Anyway, I didn't go in today, nor will I tomorrow or Thursday because of my internship (which is more important to me than working at Target for people who don't care about me).

Basically my question is this - Will I get written up/fired for not showing up for 3 days, even tho I talked to someone about it already? If I do, I'm not one bit sadden by this, since I hate my store and my STL hates me and has been trying (poorly) to find a way to get rid of me (she tried to get me in trouble at Starbucks for something that was her fault). We've already had 3 LOD leave the company completely in the last month because of how poorly things have been running, so again - if fired, I won't be crying over it.

I didn't call in because I told them last week already I cannot make it in. They knew prior to me going on LOA I was looking for internships in my field, I was clear and up front with them about that when I went on LOA, because I was told I cannot work while on LOA. Do I seriously have to call in everyday to talk to someone about it even though they already KNEW I wasn't going to make it in?

So, the shifts were within the scope of the LOA or no? If it wasn't, and all your HR rep did was put it up for swap shift, you're still responsible for the shifts. If it was, I don't see how they could schedule you when you're already on LOA. I would call in the other days, if you're interested in keeping your job, to be safe.

My LOA is from mid March to mid May, but I did tell them when my spring break was (or is since it's this week). They emailed me last week Monday letting me know when my scheduled hours where after I already picked up an internship at the school. Thing is, they had to go in and completely over ride something because my name isn't on the schedule that's posted for all TMs at all. Idk why.

Lets look at it from their perspective:

You let them know you would be on spring break, so they are assuming you want to work that time.
You told them to let you know when they scheduled you. This confirms to them that you wanted to be scheduled during spring break.
They had to work around the fact that you were still on LOA so that they could schedule you and get you those hours.
You didn't let them know when you got the internship that plans had changed, so they scheduled you.
They put the shifts up to help you out so that someone could take them for you. They need someone to be there.

You need to call out for each of those shifts because you are responsible for all posted shifts. They wouldn't have have went through the trouble to schedule you if you didn't make it sound like you wanted to work spring break. If you don't call in or show up for those shifts you would be classified as voluntarily terminated for 3 consecutive NCNS.

Yeah most likely you would be terminated, or possible put on a CCA?

Yeah most likely you would be terminated, or possible put on a CCA?

Is a CCA the same as a CA2? What does it stand for/mean? There's no list of disciplinary codes in the pinned thread on our Stupid Language.

So I called in and talked to my LOD, and had no idea if I was even suppose to work today? She said she didn't have a schedule on her (which is weird, because they ALWAYS do). She told me to call back tomorrow when HR is in to talk to them, since they should know what is going on. So who knows anymore. Welcome to my store where people don't talk to each other at all. :/

if they schedule you within your availability then you are expected to work those hours... unless YOU can find someone to take your shifts.. 3 ncns usually result in termination... it doesn't seem like you really care all that much though so i wouldnt worry about it lol... if you care enough though.. talk to your hr in the morning and see what they say... good luck with everything either way!

I didn't call in because I told them last week already I cannot make it in. They knew prior to me going on LOA I was looking for internships in my field, I was clear and up front with them about that when I went on LOA, because I was told I cannot work while on LOA. Do I seriously have to call in everyday to talk to someone about it even though they already KNEW I wasn't going to make it in?

The way our ETL's preach it, you're supposed to call in before your shifts so the current LOD knows you won't be in and can plan accordingly..

would you keep yourself around if you were the stl? you've already proven to them that target s not your number 1 priority.

would you keep yourself around if you were the stl? you've already proven to them that target s not your number 1 priority.
The idea that Target has to be a Team Member's #1 priority while we're obviously not even #3 on their list is just preposterous. It's a good part of why Target has such a high turnover rate.

Lets look at it from their perspective:

You let them know you would be on spring break, so they are assuming you want to work that time.
You told them to let you know when they scheduled you. This confirms to them that you wanted to be scheduled during spring break.
They had to work around the fact that you were still on LOA so that they could schedule you and get you those hours.
You didn't let them know when you got the internship that plans had changed, so they scheduled you.
They put the shifts up to help you out so that someone could take them for you. They need someone to be there.

You need to call out for each of those shifts because you are responsible for all posted shifts. They wouldn't have have went through the trouble to schedule you if you didn't make it sound like you wanted to work spring break. If you don't call in or show up for those shifts you would be classified as voluntarily terminated for 3 consecutive NCNS.

This is pretty much the sound logic in my opinion.

The only way that you may be able to get out of getting in trouble is if the shifts they scheduled you were outside of your last approved availability change. But then again, if a TM tells me they are going on spring break and do not state any other restrictions to their schedule, I assume they have open availability that week. Actually I would say it also depends on your ETL-HR. You did however tell her you were not able to work a few days ahead of time, so she may give you a break there. However, if you have a less forgiving ETL-HR, getting an internship or another job during your LOA is not a Target approved thing (have had TMs get fired/quit for trying to go on LOA to "try-out" another job) which means that they do not have to be flexible and accommodating with your request. If all 3 days have passed already..well then good luck. Otherwise if they haven't, at least make sure you call in for the remaining days. At the very worst, you will have a Corrective Action for NCNS, but they won't term you for Job Abandonment unless it's 3 consecutive NCNS.

The idea that Target has to be a Team Member's #1 priority while we're obviously not even #3 on their list is just preposterous. It's a good part of why Target has such a high turnover rate.

That sums it up perfectly!

How does a company expect loyalty or even respect when they have none for their employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back