How should I quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeagleDoubleG

Hey all. So I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I'm a 17 year old seasonal cashier at Target and my family just informed me of a surprise Christmas vacation we will be leaving for this Sunday, the 23rd. I am scheduled to work that Sunday and both Saturday and Sunday the following weekend, which I will still be gone for. I can't exactly not go on this trip and no one seems to be picking up any shifts on Kronos lately.

Now to be honest, I haven't exactly loved my time at Target. It was a fine seasonal job, but I found that it is not something I would long term anyway. I was planning on sticking through the seasonal period and then just happily leaving when they let me go (or putting in my two weeks at some point in January and working the last few shifts). Well now that I can't work these next 3 shifts, I'm looking to just quit considering I doubt they won't just fire me anyway and I would have only had a few more weeks there anyway.

What would be the best approach to leaving? Should I let someone know right when I get there on Saturday and fill out the paperwork? Should I call in tonight or tomorrow and let them know Saturday will be my last day?
I really hate to leave like this but Target can thank my irresponsible parents for not taking this into account when planning a week and a half surprise vacation. I'd hate to leave on bad terms and/or be marked as not rehireable just because of all this.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm sorry to tell you that your parents are going to be directly responsible for you being unrehireable. Leaving this way, especially this time of year, screws the team, period.

So yes, please tell your ETL & TL asap so they can work on getting your shifts covered. Then, go in, sign into Workday and quit. At least that makes you look like you tried to leave on good terms.

Easy. Don’t come back again. It’s not like they’re going to call hooters wings, Chuck E. Cheese, or wherever the hell you’ll work at just to Enlighten them on how you left their company so abruptly.

Even though there's are a part of me that wants this scenario .... Ask to cover any shifts those days. Puf your name on lots of shifts on the swap board. Then just don't ever go back.

Tell the Etl or ertl hr what is happening. It won't be liked. But it's happening. It's reality. Then move forward.

You should tell them ASAP...

If Target had wronged you in any way that would be one thing but you are literally just inflicting pain, for no reason other than irresponsible selfishness on your part and your parents part, upon your peers and more so anyone in leadership in the building that gives a damn about a functioning store.

While your shifts probably won’t get filled at all because of the time of year and lack of real notice, the earlier you tell someone the more of a chance the store team has at potentially successfully adapting to your absence.

Your parents, aside from being inconsiderate assholes in this moment, probably have fucked you over long term by setting shitty examples via irresponsible behavior, and there’s no way this is a first of such for them, that has inflicted untold amounts of life long lasting emotional damage that you undoubtedly will carry on in their place. Indeed, you already are... clearly.

You are leaving on bad terms and you will be marked as non rehireable which is a blessing in disguise for yourself.

Good luck and I feel sorry for you and the people around you.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, no one's gonna get those shifts covered, your department will frantically be searching for help from other departments, you've just upset everyone there, and there's no easy way around it.
If I was in your situation, I would take the cruise or trip thing as well, just do it. You're young. I'm only nineteen. If someone said "Hey I'm paying for the entire trip to Colorado and just had a buddy dip out, want in?" and I'd say "Hell yes, son." while I don't have a mortgage or bills to worry about. I mean, I have bills, just not a lot.

Just call out for those 3 days if no one takes those shifts. You’re 17 after all target shouldn’t expect much from you or your irresponsible parents. Hahaha that’s by gonna be a trip for the LOD

A couple days ago when I got to work an adult seasonal tm informed the ETL that day would be his last day due to.... obviously doing something like that isn't ideal, so try to give them as much warning as you can even if it is just a few extra days.

Whaaat?! Oh, the horror ! What WILL we do without you ?? Have no fear, everyone is replaceable, no one will remember your name next week. Seen it happen hundreds of times, business as usual, not even a beat skipped. Ever. For anyone, in any position. Be decent and give as much notice as possible in case it’s not too late for it to make a difference. No way you are re-hireable, deal with that. Congrats on your promotion to guest status.

Wot's all this then???
gMscglN.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back