Archived How should I word my letter of resignation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started working at my store almost a year ago.

A lot of changes have been made since then.

ETLs and STLs have come and gone, but one thing has remained: the family-like environment I have with some of my coworkers.

Unfortunately, due to some extenuating, I had to request some time off during the holiday season (the 14th-23rd). Even though I put it in three months in advance, it was not approved.

I am a hardlines team member and have grown quite attached to my peers. My STL doesn't seem too worried about losing me as it was he who I spoke to about the time off to begin with, but I still don't want to have to resign. Despite the negatives, I quite enjoy my job. However, resigning is the only way I will be able to get my time off. How should I word my letter of resignation to express my regret in my decision? Do I give it to any LOD/ETL or the STL?

Does your reason for time off qualify for FMLA or another legitimate reason for leave? If so, I would explain your situation to the ETL-HR and/or STL and see what you can do. If you just requested 10 days off during the last week leading up the Christmas, it's expected that it would be denied. The snap judgement would be that you are just trying to get the holidays off. If you absolutely must quit, you can give a letter of resignation to your ETL-HR. They'll probably have you do a voluntary termination form. Either way, work your two weeks if you ever want to come back to Target.

Any requests for time off during the blackout periods are automatically denied regardless of how much advanced notice you give. You should talk to your ETL about your reason for needing that time off and see if they will work with you. Failing that, you can try to get other team members to cover your scheduled shifts at that time.

If you do end up leaving, a letter of resignation isn't necessary, though I guess you could attach to your voluntary termination form, which is all you really need. That goes to the ETL-HR.

You sign a self-termination paper given to you by an HR-ETL or HR-Team member. Then you wait out your two weeks and walk away. If you're lucky, they'll remember to bother filing your paperwork in the right drawer afterwards.

Also, what is the circumstances leading to your request for time off? Despite the hysteria, if it's something serious most ETLs are pretty flexible. Unless you're just wanting Christmas time off, in which case you already sold your soul to retail about that long ago. I really wouldn't bother with the letter at that point, it'll look unprofessional since the expectations were clear that blackout periods run from late November till beginning of January and that you are most likely to get requests off for that period rejected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back