Archived How to coach TM for tasks not getting done bc they were helping customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never liked the "term" coach at when I worked at Target. It's retail, not sports. There is no team. It's every person for themselves. Why not just be blunt about what it really means? It's when a boss bitches you out for doing something bad or wrong.
So, in your infinite wisdom, what word would you use to describe, the action of a discussion aimed at correcting or enhancing someone’s performance?

There goes my one mistake for the year...

Damn!

“Coach” is used in many business models. Starbucks uses it as well. Its meaning is meant to describe you helping someone improve their performance through constructive feedback. It’s not strictly a sports term.

TL’s/ETL’s: Let's say you ask Bob to do a task a day for 2 weeks and none of the tasks get done bc he was busy helping customers.

Don't get me wrong. I get customer service but at some point it becomes a time management issue when none of the tasks given are being done.

What would this coaching conversation sound like and what would be your response if Bob says "I was giving great customer service and you can't coach me for that."
I'd tell that particular TL/ETL to pull their head out of their backside and get the proper staffing so that one person can focus on GUEST service and another on tasking. The problem usually is that the sales floor is under staffed and unreasonable expectations are demanded. If the TM is busy with a guest, bring in someone from Hardkines or Soft Lines (depending on the situation) to fill the task gap.
If one thinks that coaching is a good idea.... tell them to pack their bag. The DM will terminate their employment.

Task should take x amount of time. Know how long it takes you as a manager that knows all the shortcuts. Know how long Target in their wisdom of averages things it should take. Figure out what is reasonable and what is a push. Set the expectation.

Guest interaction should not be more than x amount of time. You're pushing at noon on a Saturday across from electronics, or picking in HBA/cosmetics expect more guest interaction time. It's your store you know when it's busy and when the talkative guests come in. Tell them guest interactions should not be more than a certain amount of time, I use 5 min as even if you have to walk across the store to get something for a guest it's less than that based on my store. If you can't extract yourself from a guest teach them to call for backup. On average there are less than 3 on a Saturday depending on the section of the store. Sorry Grandma I'm not holding your hand for the full shopping trip and neither should TMs.

I understand upsell, but following a person around is not going to provide the upsell when we don't have product on the floor to up sell. Understand the retail environment and comp, retail as a whole was up in May, if you're store didn't that says more about your store than if you did comp up. If the floor is empty the best I can do is potentially find a web only product that is not on the floor to offer and make sure the floor is full. We're not a hardware store we're not going to have aerators, or the very specific custom battery the guests wants.

Teach TMs how to use the devices, stop only giving TMs one piece of information every 5 hour shift. Unless you're giving them mindless tasks eventually they need to know everything and it will take a while to learn it. Let them drink from a fire hose as they won't remember everything anyway and the more information they have to make informed decisions the better they will be in their job.

Don't be rude, find alternatives, help the guest, and set reasonable expectations. When you set unreasonable expectations you increase stress and drive people away. How many people really want an overly stressful job for lower pay than most office jobs that have far less stress? If you're a TM you should be able to push back respectfully if managers expectations are not reasonable.

Managers please don't play favorites with the schedule or performance discussions. Yes, call in the top performer first when there is a callout, but don't schedule by performance. Those poor performers shouldn't have made it past 90 days and it's your responsibility to manage them out. I'd rather fight to prevent a final, final for someone that's good but has issues in one area then have to document things for months if things go south.

One of the most promising TMs for a TL position has an issue with being cryonically 20 minutes late. That would normally prevent them from a TL position, and I know I'm going to have to fight to prevent the CCA on being cryonically late even though I'm the one writing them up. Yes, I'm documenting them because I should, and I want them to improve, but I'm also going to fight for them because they are an extremely hard competent worker.

You NCNS and I don't care you're getting a CCA. You're 2 hours late and didn't call I'll let you work just to give you the CCA the same day.

Know your employees strengths, teach them. They probably didn't get training at the start. Target is retail and a lot of poor managers can hide in the retail environment and blame semi transient employees.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

/Rant

We have a TM who is constantly chatting with guests. Which, you know, good for them because the guests appreciate it, but they don’t communicate anything to the closing TM if they’ve opened. They just expect you to know they haven’t done zones, have three full carts of reshop, etc.

In this TMs case, it’s not a matter of not having the time, because they do, they would just rather talk or hang out at the boat.

We have a TM who is constantly chatting with guests. Which, you know, good for them because the guests appreciate it, but they don’t communicate anything to the closing TM if they’ve opened. They just expect you to know they haven’t done zones, have three full carts of reshop, etc.

In this TMs case, it’s not a matter of not having the time, because they do, they would just rather talk or hang out at the boat.
The problem in this scenario is that they are avoiding the work. Electronics, for example, is E2E. The importance of tasking and getting things done is of major importance. A toy zone, however, MUST NEVER BE DONE UNTIL ALL E2E TASKS ARE COMPLETE. (That is from a corporate directive). Usually, the closing team rely's upon the morning team to accomplish most of the E2E tasks and picks up the slack from there. I think the largest issue is with the communication between the closing team and the opening team. I usually leave a detailed note for the morning team. Should be implemented across the board.

The problem in this scenario is that they are avoiding the work. Electronics, for example, is E2E. The importance of tasking and getting things done is of major importance. A toy zone, however, MUST NEVER BE DONE UNTIL ALL E2E TASKS ARE COMPLETE. (That is from a corporate directive). Usually, the closing team rely's upon the morning team to accomplish most of the E2E tasks and picks up the slack from there. I think the largest issue is with the communication between the closing team and the opening team. I usually leave a detailed note for the morning team. Should be implemented across the board.
Depends on payroll . My team do what you can & tell others on what you cant do. The sad part is, there is no hours to do anything. IMO.

This. I had plenty of team members on flow that were great with guest service, and would go above and beyond while assisting guests, but at the end of the day their core role was to compete truck push. There are other team members, or leaders, available to assist guests if it becomes too time consuming.

It's everyone's job to assist guests. That's what I hear at huddle every morning.

TL’s/ETL’s: Let's say you ask Bob to do a task a day for 2 weeks and none of the tasks get done bc he was busy helping customers.

Don't get me wrong. I get customer service but at some point it becomes a time management issue when none of the tasks given are being done.

What would this coaching conversation sound like and what would be your response if Bob says "I was giving great customer service and you can't coach me for that."

Do you even work at Target? We don't have customers. We have guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back