Archived How to properly apologize to management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the default policy is that we accept all bills unless they look obviously fake. only certain stores are permitted to have counterfeit pens and machines at each checklane and that's due to being in high risk areas.
I would not consider my store a high-risk area and we have both ways to check bills at my store. I work CO on occasion and it's mostly 50's and 100's that we come across as fake. We might get one or two a month, with more during the holidays. Some of them are blatantly obvious and you wonder how they were even accepted.

it depends on your district and your individual store's risk level. not every store has (or even is ALLOWED to have) bill checking machines or counterfeit pens.

Bingo depends on risk level.

I believe they have counterfeit pens on SAP do they not? Its kind of silly since as a guest, I am not going to be offended that you use a pen. I would assume they are standard but there is probably a fear some cashiers wouldn't know how to handle a fake bill or who profile.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Recently, I messed up and had a theft happen due to my carelessness and received a PDD (I think it was called that). Anyways, even more recently I accepted a fake bill. I used the marker to check it and it didn't smudge, but the GSA informed me it was a fraudulent bill. I am very regretful and worried I will be fired very soon. I feel awful that I let this happen and feel like I am a liability due to my lack of common sense. However, I really need this job and want to do whatever it takes to keep it. How should I apologize to the store and AP so they can forgive me and let me stay?
Oh for sake! Were you trained, vetted, bonded and insured when hired?

Bingo depends on risk level.

I believe they have counterfeit pens on SAP do they not? Its kind of silly since as a guest, I am not going to be offended that you use a pen. I would assume they are standard but there is probably a fear some cashiers wouldn't know how to handle a fake bill or who profile.
Yes, you can have AP or front end management order the pens on SAP. The topic of accepting fake coupons comes up all the time, not sure why there is an issue when accepting a large bill and checking if it is real? When a guest uses a bill at SCO the machine can tell if it is legal tender, and if it is not, it will not be accepted.

As a former gstl that’s not true, it’s targets policy to test every $20,$50, and $100. Obviously $20s is a stretch but we are supposed to check them all and just inform the guest that you are unable to accept the bill.
I only cashier occasionally but we don't have any checking equipment, and the last I was informed was that inspecting bills visually was a form of accusing the guest of doing something illegal, or of putting employees at risk to a potentially hostile criminal the way confronting a shoplifter might risk a danger. But as seen in this thread, ASANTS. I've worked in different districts but must have only worked in low risk stores.

My store has pens but no machines. I’d prefer machines, faster and more accurate.
Yes, more accurate than someone who can’t determine if the bill has smudge. The only issue I have with the machine is that if the bill is wrinkled it will keep spitting it back out with an error; that is why I love the pen for backup.

I only cashier occasionally but we don't have any checking equipment, and the last I was informed was that inspecting bills visually was a form of accusing the guest of doing something illegal, or of putting employees at risk to a potentially hostile criminal the way confronting a shoplifter might risk a danger. But as seen in this thread, ASANTS. I've worked in different districts but must have only worked in low risk stores.
So, if you were handed a $50 coupon that was fraudulent, would you accept it as to not accuse the guest of doing something illegal?

So, if you were handed a $50 coupon that was fraudulent, would you accept it as to not accuse the guest of doing something illegal?
If it was handwritten in crayon, no. If the computer accepted it but I found it suspicious I'd call the GSTL over and tell the guest we have to have coupons that large approved by a manager. A $2 likely fraudulent coupon that the computer allowed, I'd probably permit only one and then call the GSTL after to investigate.

Now if they handed me Monopoly money I'd call over management too but I was taught to put the transaction through and contact the GSTL or AP afterwards so they could investigate it. I'm not really ready to get shot over a fake $50 so that works for me.

FYI - If your leadership is documenting this instance, it may not be that you did anything wrong, it could be the fact they are either...
- Your store is trying to ID an scapegoat.
- Your store is trying to performance you out.

Last edited:
As a former gstl that’s not true, it’s targets policy to test every $20,$50, and $100. Obviously $20s is a stretch but we are supposed to check them all and just inform the guest that you are unable to accept the bill.
Target policy but ASANTS. I've also been told by my GSTLs to not run 20s or 50s through the reader, only 100s and to be discreet about doing that much.

And @buliSBI , that's "scapegoat" ;)

If it was handwritten in crayon, no. If the computer accepted it but I found it suspicious I'd call the GSTL over and tell the guest we have to have coupons that large approved by a manager. A $2 likely fraudulent coupon that the computer allowed, I'd probably permit only one and then call the GSTL after to investigate.

Now if they handed me Monopoly money I'd call over management too but I was taught to put the transaction through and contact the GSTL or AP afterwards so they could investigate it. I'm not really ready to get shot over a fake $50 so that works for me.

this is best practice

We aren't even allowed to check/question the bills given to us so I'm not sure why you'd get in trouble for accepting it.

Mostly incorrect. Unless your in a really low risk district, your store should have bill scanning machines. If your store has the machines, you are required to use them. Target policy is (or at least it was in 2017 before I left) to scan every bill $20 and higher. You run the bill 3 times through the machine. 3 reds and you ask for other payment. If it does green even just once, you accept it. Although in my store we wouldn’t care unless someone paid like $300 in all hundreds and the cashier didn’t scan even a single one, then we’d have a talk with you.

Mostly incorrect. Unless your in a really low risk district, your store should have bill scanning machines. If your store has the machines, you are required to use them. Target policy is (or at least it was in 2017 before I left) to scan every bill $20 and higher. You run the bill 3 times through the machine. 3 reds and you ask for other payment. If it does green even just once, you accept it. Although in my store we wouldn’t care unless someone paid like $300 in all hundreds and the cashier didn’t scan even a single one, then we’d have a talk with you.
Thank you for the clarification. My store is low risk and we have the machines and pens. Does not make any sense to accept a bill because you are afraid of offending a guest.

It must be a district thing, because I've never even been to a target that used checking equipment. Learned something new today!

We have pens and constantly have counterfeit money come through, I find it in the cash office and AP comes around quite often and tells us to have cashiers test $20 and up because someone tried to use counterfeit money somewhere in our area. Personally I just test every big bill, that way hopefully someone isn’t going to think I’m profiling them if I just do it for every bill

we had a situation and were told that if it still passed the pen test we had to accept it. we denied someone who kept coming in with fakes one night and he complained on a survey that we didn’t check it just profiled and denied him. like yeah that was bad on the gsa that nights part, but we all knew what him and his buddy looked like and we knew the serial number of the copy. stl looked at the cameras apparently and saw her take no more than a glance and deny.

honestly, we get hit or at least they attempt to use fakes at my store, so often that we didn’t follow it. we just made sure we explained each and every missing watermark and every little thing that made it questionable. i can’t imagine just accepting it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back