Archived how to quit asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically my entire store is stuck in a very high school mentality and I can't stand it anymore. Also my schedule is just not working...they have me scheduled every single week day for 8 hours each shift when I go to school full time and they know that. I want to go ahead and put in my two weeks but I don't know if I can even make it that far. Even if I did, I know that everyone would find out and start to question me about it. I guess what I'm asking is how can I just go ahead a quit without having to work the next two weeks through? I'm still under my 90 days so I won't be considered rehireable regardless and I don't mind. I don't think I can make it another day :(

Sometimes you just have to leave a place
I would put it in writing that they continually scheduled you outside of your availability, and I would send it certified mail.
Good luck to you and I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I am really getting sick of this availability nonsense myself.

Speak with your hr person and explain calmly that you are being scheduled outside your availability. That is not your problem to get hrs covered, but bring it to their attention asap. If you don't want to stay on and do not care about rehire ability, then ask for self termination form. Good luck

Speak with your hr person and explain calmly that you are being scheduled outside your availability. That is not your problem to get hrs covered, but bring it to their attention asap. If you don't want to stay on and do not care about rehire ability, then ask for self termination form. Good luck
The thing is that it does fit my availability but I didn't expect them to fill it up at much as possible during the week since I'm available weekends if that makes sense. This isn't the biggest problem and it's more about the work environment for me :/ also HR is never there at closing which is when I work for the next week

It may make sense to you but not Target. If you have that schedule as available you always should expect to be scheduled. You are telling them you are available to work. Sorry

It may make sense to you but not Target. If you have that schedule as available you always should expect to be scheduled. You are telling them you are available to work. Sorry
Okay yeah I understand that. That's not really my main issue of why I am planning on leaving...more of an issue with the people and work environment

I here ya. Sorry your fellow tms and your store suck. Targets vary greatly and I guess you may not have a good one.

As much as I'd love to you to tell your bosses to go fuck themselves is unneeded this day in age. Just fill out the voluntary termination paper, sign it, and leave it with with TSC or your direct supervisor's mailbox. You don't even have to see them, you can even do it mid shift if you feel that bad. That would be your "extended lunch" all Target employees want.

The answer to the question in the topic (how to quit asap) is pretty simple. Call and ask for the LOD or go in and tell them "Hey I need to quit effective immediately." You can be as polite or rude as you wish. You are not bound by a contract that prevents you from quitting on the spot.

Obviously most TMs would recommend you at least fill out the form from HR and work your two weeks so you don't screw over your coworkers.

You may also want to try calling during the day to express your concerns to ETL-HR. They may find it easier to reduce you max available hours per week and throw half your shifts on the swap board if the alternative is you quitting and leaving a hole in the schedule and needing to hire another TM.

As much as I'd love to you to tell your bosses to go fuck themselves is unneeded this day in age. Just fill out the voluntary termination paper, sign it, and leave it with with TSC or your direct supervisor's mailbox. You don't even have to see them, you can even do it mid shift if you feel that bad. That would be your "extended lunch" all Target employees want.
Would I have to ask for that paper from HR? They are never there during my shifts and we don't have a mailbox...at least I don't think so. We just have a folder for "turn into HR". The thing with my store is there are a few times that are good, like today everything went smoothly, but most of the time I am wanting to leave right then and there. So "extended lunch" looks like the option I might go with soon.

If you decide to come back, you will be able to get rehired. So fill out the form, & give to an Lod.

Last edited:
If you decide to come back, you will be able to get rehired. So fill out the form, & give to an Lod.
Would I be able to get rehired if I put in my two weeks under my 90 days? The only reason I don't want to work the two weeks is because knowing my store, word would get out and people would question me about it or give me attitude.

You didn't state that you were under 90 days. Maybe not get rehired.
I did in my original post...if I do quit and am considered non rehireable that would not affect me outside of target right?

Last edited:
I did in my original post...if I do quit and am considered non rehireable that would not affect me outside of target right?

No, it won't. They don't tell future employers anything but confirm the dates you were employed. So it will look bad that you stayed so little, but no one will ever care beyond that. The quickest way to quit is to pick up the phone and call and tell them you won't be back.

No, it won't. They don't tell future employers anything but confirm the dates you were employed. So it will look bad that you stayed so little, but no one will ever care beyond that. The quickest way to quit is to pick up the phone and call and tell them you won't be back.
Okay thank you! This is really the only thing I was worried about.

Target spent money on training you so they won't want to lose you so easily.
A girl I was hired with (under 90 days) literally got into an argument with the GSTL and HR because they scheduled her for too many hours (similar to you). GSTL and HR got mad, but they didn't fire her.
So re-scheduling you shouldn't be too much of an issue. But I understand that confrontation can be scary.

But you're saying that the work environment is more of a turn-off for you than the hours? What's happening? I was worried about "high school mentalities" and "power tripping leads" before I got hired too, but (pretty much) everyone at my store is really friendly (thank god).

Target spent money on training you so they won't want to lose you so easily.
A girl I was hired with (under 90 days) literally got into an argument with the GSTL and HR because they scheduled her for too many hours (similar to you). GSTL and HR got mad, but they didn't fire her.
So re-scheduling you shouldn't be too much of an issue. But I understand that confrontation can be scary.

But you're saying that the work environment is more of a turn-off for you than the hours? What's happening? I was worried about "high school mentalities" and "power tripping leads" before I got hired too, but (pretty much) everyone at my store is really friendly (thank god).
Well things have gotten a little better since I've made this post. I've been working mostly closing which let's me avoid most of the negative people and work mostly on my own...but even today working an evening shift was pretty bad. Basically people are just always angry and talk down to me. Almost every single time I ask a question someone rolls their eyes at me...I don't ask questions that often but something like "Do I need to walk with the guest that is purchasing a locked item?" and they act like I'm the dumbest employee they have seen. There's also a lot of gossip, which I honestly don't understand, but I have heard many people talking about others and saying what a terrible job they're doing and lots of other things. Even today, another TM asked me to look up something on the mydevice I had and when I told her I couldn't find the item she told me that I should know how to do this by now, that I'm responsible for it and that's part of my job to be able to look things up. It wasn't that I wasn't capable of finding it but that we didn't even sell the item but she refused to listen. Also a big part is that team leads and LOD's expect me to do the impossible in a short amount of time. It even gets to the point where they check in on me every 5 minutes to tell me how much time is left. There are so many things that I could add but long story short, there are only very few friendly people who are willing to help me and the rest are angry whenever I speak to them. The past week has been OK but even today I was thinking of walking out and not coming back. I want to avoid doing that though and may just put in my two weeks soon.

team leads and LOD's expect me to do the impossible in a short amount of time
This is the worst thing about working "sales floor". There's a nearly infinite amount of work to be done in the limited amount of time you have. But TLs and ETLs have different definitions for "done" than you and I. They say they want an aisle zoned. You would make it 100% perfect. They just want to glance down the aisle and have it look half decent. That saves you hours worth of work trying to perfect each aisle. They want strays collected and put back out. You would put it exactly where it goes. They just want it in the right department.

TL,DR: Do a half-ass job, get paid twice as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back