Service & Engagement How to start showing interest in a S/E TL position

I'm starting to look at the S/E TL position as potential career path that would be a nice pair with my BA degree I'm currently working on. I have talked to my S/E ETL but she didn't really say much and rumor has it anyways that she's about to get the boot. My HR isn't good with definitive answers and is always swamped with other things going on. I'm considering approaching my SD about it because he's a really cool dude. Has a lot of integrity, has an extensive history with retail management, and easily approachable. I'm assuming once I throw my name out there, I have to practically badger the person I talk to until there are serious procedures being taken.

Any tips on showing interest in a leadership position (not necessarily my store).

You should definitely have a sit down with your HR ETL and/or your SD about your future with Spot. You can also show your leadership qualities right now. I'm going to assume you are a front end TM, what can you do at the front to stand out? If you close, you can rally the team to have the front ready for guests at opening. (Think, refill bags, zoned end caps and inboards, paid stickers and receipt tape at all registers to name a few) You can also ask a current SETL to mentor you. Ask them for more leadership type duties such as "running the lines". Good luck!
Source - former seasonal cashier, now Closing Leader

Caveat, I'm still new to the SETL job. There are several approaches, but I think you have to be able to make your goals and intentions clear to leadership, while having the skills/attendance/responsibility/attitude to back it up. Also be ready to hear some hard truth about what separates you from a leader, if they think you're not quite ready.

Here's the question that separates people the most, in my opinion:

Are you the person who they want to watch the front while they're at lunch? That's the person I'm developing.

Personally, I wouldn't sit "the bench" but that approach works for some. I would patiently look for another job for at least the same pay if nothing is opening up in your district. Target is hard. If you're good enough to be a solid front end manager at Target, you are probably good enough to make more money at a less stressful job elsewhere.

Tis the season! I just signed myself up for more responsibility, too. Talk to your SD and tell them that you are interested in being a TL and see what he says. If your ETL SE is about to get the boot then there might be a lot of rearranging of staff to change things around.

Caveat, I'm still new to the SETL job. There are several approaches, but I think you have to be able to make your goals and intentions clear to leadership, while having the skills/attendance/responsibility/attitude to back it up. Also be ready to hear some hard truth about what separates you from a leader, if they think you're not quite ready.

Here's the question that separates people the most, in my opinion:

Are you the person who they want to watch the front while they're at lunch? That's the person I'm developing.

Personally, I wouldn't sit "the bench" but that approach works for some. I would patiently look for another job for at least the same pay if nothing is opening up in your district. Target is hard. If you're good enough to be a solid front end manager at Target, you are probably good enough to make more money at a less stressful job elsewhere.
Personally, I wouldn't sit "the bench" but that approach works for some.

Good point because if you are on "the bench" that could be for any TL opening not just SETL.

Learn to pick Flexs. More to understand how to do them and how to store them plays a huge role in an SETL.

I'm starting to look at the S/E TL position as potential career path that would be a nice pair with my BA degree I'm currently working on. I have talked to my S/E ETL but she didn't really say much and rumor has it anyways that she's about to get the boot. My HR isn't good with definitive answers and is always swamped with other things going on. I'm considering approaching my SD about it because he's a really cool dude. Has a lot of integrity, has an extensive history with retail management, and easily approachable. I'm assuming once I throw my name out there, I have to practically badger the person I talk to until there are serious procedures being taken.

Any tips on showing interest in a leadership position (not necessarily my store).
Ask for Responsibility, take ownership of certain tasks, know your metrics, be a team player

What do you mean? I think I understand, but not sure.

How to pick the OPUs you are sending out for Du and pickup. I've learned them and can help trouble shoot and answer questions. I can also teach people how to make individual labels instead of hitting reprint and having 5 waters in one bag.

Does your store have team member development days? Once a month my SD/HR sit down with every team member interested in growung their career with Spot. I would share your interest, ask your leaders for feedback, and ask for more responsibility up front. I know our high potential service and engagement team members run the front in team lead absense or when they go home for the day. We also swap out put our team lesd on guest service/sco and have team member run the front (that way the lead is there to help problem solve if needed) The ones who have been very succesful are the ones who are receptive to feedback. They can also challenge their peers, and give tough feedback when necess.

Last edited:
Challenging peers - that is the hard part! Most people are receptive to me, but some are just a huge pain the in the butt.

Back