Specialty How's Ulta going?

mizl

Beauty TM
I'm curious to hear how the other stores with Ulta are going now that it's been almost two months and things have had a chance to settle. Our issues have been pretty typical Target ones, missing ISM, people messing up counts, not having enough bodies for coverage, guests being goblins and opening things. Anyone else's drawers absolutely suck balls?

So strange because my store is the biggest in the state but in our remodel we didn’t get the Ulta or the Apple Store. They redid all of them though, we got electronics 2.0. I don’t know exactly what the code name for my stores beauty is but it looks like a Sephora lol.

So strange because my store is the biggest in the state but in our remodel we didn’t get the Ulta or the Apple Store. They redid all of them though, we got electronics 2.0. I don’t know exactly what the code name for my stores beauty is but it looks like a Sephora lol.
Probably beauty blowout 2.0. Ulta remodels are based on a lot of factors, apparently.

Repacks are pretty dumb, on the truck there's usually one or two items inside these repacks making it very likely to get crushed by heavier boxes or thrown off the conveyor belt during the unload

Probably beauty blowout 2.0. Ulta remodels are based on a lot of factors, apparently.
Yeah I don’t know the code name but it looks very much like a beauty store. There are basically isles within isles with tables and stuff. Really cool for guests. Have no idea how beauty is doing mentally though LOL

If your store is anything like 95% of the ones in north Texas, then there is already an Ulta right next to your store so it wouldn't make sense. I only know of one or two in my area that got the Ulta remodel

If your store is anything like 95% of the ones in north Texas, then there is already an Ulta right next to your store so it wouldn't make sense. I only know of one or two in my area that got the Ulta remodel
My store is a little away from Ulta. about 10-minute drive.

Anyone who doesn't have an Ulta keep getting a bunch of Ulta products in their repacks though? I don't know if I should hold onto them for holiday or go ahead and put some of them out.

Anyone who doesn't have an Ulta keep getting a bunch of Ulta products in their repacks though? I don't know if I should hold onto them for holiday or go ahead and put some of them out.
We have. At first I was just finding a spot to get rid of them. Now we have so many I wouldn't be shocked if there was a POG for holiday. Maybe even the beacon since it's so many gift sets.

You must be in a big city. I never even heard of Ulta until we got one.
About 30,000 people, but just a little bit outside the metropolitan area of a major city.

I keep getting SSZ 2 repacks that are supposed to be just Ulta with other random shit thrown in - kitchen, clothing, accessories. I don't know why the DCs can't keep things straight. Ask your reverse logistics TM about sweeping them back. Probably should mySupport it too. Failing all that, defect them as ESIM and donate them, I guess.

Repacks are pretty dumb, on the truck there's usually one or two items inside these repacks making it very likely to get crushed by heavier boxes or thrown off the conveyor belt during the unload
I don't know what's worse - getting crushed tiny repacks with one item in them, getting a full uboat of pristine full size repacks with three items in each of them, or the full size repacks they sent in advance that were overflowing with thousands of, like, 5 nearly identical shades of lipstick or concealer or eyeliner, packaging crushed just enough to look bad, that I spent entire shifts for 2-3 weeks painstakingly sorting out so I could backstock them. You'd think the last one is the worst but sitting on the floor of a backroom aisle (secretly listening to a podcast) for 8 hours while making stacks of lipstick is almost meditative. Doing it for weeks kind of canceled out any calm it generated though.

I just found out today that we're getting Ulta next year. I'm a current beauty tm and had some questions. Will we be asked if we want to train for Ulta? Will there still be regular beauty tm's? Would we be trained in-store? Would I be an employee of target or ULTA? Can I choose to stay at my current position? My ETL didn't have answers so f you could help out...Thanks!

I just found out today that we're getting Ulta next year. I'm a current beauty tm and had some questions. Will we be asked if we want to train for Ulta? Will there still be regular beauty tm's? Would we be trained in-store? Would I be an employee of target or ULTA? Can I choose to stay at my current position? My ETL didn't have answers so f you could help out...Thanks!
1) you’ll still be a Target employee
2) you can train for Ulta or be in regular beauty however Ulta stores gain a Beauty TL so they may have the expectation that everyone be trained

Keep in mind also, many employees at the regular ULTA stores are considered to be vendors and are really just reps from the individual brands - not employees of ULTA. They look like ULTA employees because they're usually dressed the same but really they're on the payroll of brands like Urban Decay, Lancome, etc. They're generally trained makeup artists (or are really good at makeup and know someone to get their foot in the door) and their pay is WAY better. They travel to the ULTA stores within their district to ensure stock, cleanliness, and they have to meet high sales goals. My friend that works as one always exceeds hers and gets awesome bonuses.

ETA: the reason I explained this lol is that ULTA employees are mostly trained for overall sales and customer service, which Target already provides to a Beauty TM. I think the only other extra training you'd have to do would be extra ULTA trainings on the computer so you know what to push sales wise.

Ask in advance if you can be an Ulta TM. Ulta TMs are kind of like starbucks TMs. We all work for Target, but Ulta TMs have a different dress code. Sometimes the Ulta TMs look really bored because their work is already done (they have less merch) and at least one person has to be over there while the store is open.

Core Beauty TMs have shorter training for covering Ulta breaks/lunches, Ulta Beauty TMs have more training, lots of brand knowledge.

1) you’ll still be a Target employee
2) you can train for Ulta or be in regular beauty however Ulta stores gain a Beauty TL so they may have the expectation that everyone be trained
Does the Beauty TL oversee the Target beauty area & those TM's along with ULTA or just the ULTA area and TM's?

Back