Archived HR and Lunch breaks`

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not necessary true. So you’re saying everyone who truly forgets to punch out and does a punch correction later isn’t on lunch and should be given a CA for time theft? Relax man....
Yes. Enforce the policy and you’ll have Zero compliance.

I love how people are taking this WAY too seriously. My last job you were lucky if you even got a lunch break at all. No such thing as “compliance” there.

Metrics rule at my store, punch correction to avoid compliance violations is standard procedure. It’s that dirty little secret that everyone knows about, and leadership condones. For them, a punch correction makes work for HRTMs, but a compliance violation is a serious strike against metrics, and the all important metrics are sacrosanct.🙄😱😳

I love how people are taking this WAY too seriously. My last job you were lucky if you even got a lunch break at all. No such thing as “compliance” there.

What does the shitty company you worked for have to do with labor laws?

Please follow the rules. Don't try to manipulate them. Target is absolutely wonderful when it comes to breaks and lunches. If you do the "right" thing you'll never have this problem. We are "all" responsible for compliance. You should never be in a situation where you're racing to the clock. Be aware of your time and remind others. Communication is key.

What's the deal with HR telling me it's "too late" like umm no I was not working even if I was on the clock. I think they're the one in the wrong and I feel stupid asking but what do you think?

I was too far from the time thing to punch out so I just took my lunch as if I were gonna punch correct later for not clocking out...make sense? HR didn't seem to get it either...like hey I couldn't make it to the time clock in time but I was already on lunch so I'll punch correct later...get it? but they said no it was too late like umm no it's never too late to punch correct if it's the same day of the missed punch especially lol...hardlinesmaster you mustve not read it all the way because I don't see you as a dolt. EDIT: Simplified I just could not get to the clock in time but I already started my lunch so punch correcting later should be no issue as per past experiences in the last few years. She's kinda new as HR but I didn't think she was so new she didn't understand the punch correct process.

I never wait til the last second always 15-20 minutes until at the least I just got distracted with a guest and some other nonsense. =P Thanks for everybody responding though. I do appreciate the opinions but the judging can be left at the door. lol I am not new by any means.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't always wait till the last second and trust that you will take your future meal breaks at a much earlier time, especially after reading this thread's responses.

You asked what we thought about your HR so I will say that your HR is not wrong. Target policy is that you need to use the time clock to accurately record your punches. Punch corrections should only be used in certain situations and not to get around using the time clock. During orientation, they have you sign a rest/meal break policy paper that states that you understand the rules. Intentionally not using the time clock and instead submitting a punch correction to skate around compliance can be considered time card falsification. You are supposed to use the time clock before going to lunch so lunch should start right when you clock out. It is a TM's responsibility to remember to clock out on time for their lunches. If you couldn't make it in time to the time clock before physically going to lunch, then you are "late" to take a meal. Since they have the break/lunch policy posted in TMSC and/or a copy of it that you signed during orientation, you can't strongly argue that you didn't understand the policy when they issue you a coaching or corrective action.

Here is some information from the Team Member Handbook as well:
Taking Timely Meal Periods.jpg

I definitely do not recommend skipping the time clock and doing punch corrections as a method to avoid getting in trouble. myTime has record of all time clock usage (or lack of it) and punch corrections which can be used to see if a TM/TL has a history of doing this type of stuff. It is possible to get discovered. [Edit: People in my store got busted for it so don't do it.]

Last edited:
Your HR is well within their right to issue a CA. It's your responsibility to start heading towards the time clock with enough time to punch out. Simply saying you took off your name badge is not enough. Maybe once would fly but if you were my TM I'd either write you up for hitting compliance, time clock fraud, or loafing. Take your pick.

That’s not necessary true. So you’re saying everyone who truly forgets to punch out and does a punch correction later isn’t on lunch and should be given a CA for time theft? Relax man....
"Fraud" implies some sort of personal gain, which in this case there is none. It goes against policy to submit a punch correction instead of simply clocking in/out, definitely, but unless the team member is using deceptive means for financial or personal gain, I wouldn't really call it fraud. They weren't getting paid more because of their actions, nor were they working less than reported.

It's not at all similar to, say, shopping while on the clock. Because there, there is financial gain through deceptive means.

@gsa4lyfe The issue comes down to intent. Honestly forgetting and intentionally not using the time clock are 2 very different things. HR would be right to issue CA for both but are usually more lenient towards the former.

@Sloth The gain doesn't necessarily have to be monetary for it to constitute fraud. The gains in this situation are not flagging for meal compliance, not receiving a corrective, and/or not being fired for hitting compliance.

Stop stealing, be decent. You dolt.
Does Target have their own definition of fraud? Every law site I search it up on mention either personal/monetary gain or the intent to deprive the victim of something.

I doubt he'd have received a corrective or been termed. No one is my store has been fired or written up for it, unless they've done it excessively. HR will act stern, but it's never more than a slap on the wrist. Really, not even a slap. Just a gentle poke.
I understand I just wanted your opinions but I did not like being told I was purposely trying to be fraudulent. It was too late to clock out and I just decided that since I wouldn't make it to the clock i would just punch correct. It really is super straight forward not planned out hours in advance or some shit.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't always wait till the last second and trust that you will take your future meal breaks at a much earlier time, especially after reading this thread's responses.

You asked what we thought about your HR so I will say that your HR is not wrong. Target policy is that you need to use the time clock to accurately record your punches. Punch corrections should only be used in certain situations and not to get around using the time clock. During orientation, they have you sign a rest/meal break policy paper that states that you understand the rules. Intentionally not using the time clock and instead submitting a punch correction to skate around compliance can be considered time card falsification. You are supposed to use the time clock before going to lunch so lunch should start right when you clock out. It is a TM's responsibility to remember to clock out on time for their lunches. If you couldn't make it in time to the time clock before physically going to lunch, then you are "late" to take a meal. Since they have the break/lunch policy posted in TMSC and/or a copy of it that you signed during orientation, you can't strongly argue that you didn't understand the policy when they issue you a coaching or corrective action.

Here is some information from the Team Member Handbook as well:
View attachment 6661

I definitely do not recommend skipping the time clock and doing punch corrections as a method to avoid getting in trouble. myTime has record of all time clock usage (or lack of it) and punch corrections which can be used to see if a TM/TL has a history of doing this type of stuff. It is possible to get discovered. [Edit: People in my store got busted for it so don't do it.]
Fair but abuse would be saying I do this often or even once a year which is not the case.

Does Target have their own definition of fraud? Every law site I search it up on mention either personal/monetary gain or the intent to deprive the victim of something.

I doubt he'd have received a corrective or been termed. No one is my store has been fired or written up for it, unless they've done it excessively. HR will act stern, but it's never more than a slap on the wrist. Really, not even a slap. Just a gentle poke.

In this situation, Personal gain = not facing disciplinary action

read again I was too far from the time thing to punch out so I just took my lunch as if I were gonna punch correct later for not clocking out...make sense? HR didn't seem to get it either...like hey I couldn't make it to the time clock in time but I was already on lunch so I'll punch correct later...get it? but they said no it was too late like umm no it's never too late to punch correct if it's the same day of the missed punch especially lol...hardlinesmaster you mustve not read it all the way because I don't see you as a dolt. EDIT: Simplified I just could not get to the clock in time but I already started my lunch so punch correcting later should be no issue as per past experiences in the last few years. She's kinda new as HR but I didn't think she was so new she didn't understand the punch correct process.
She overstepped and shouldn’t have added it without you doing punch correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back