Archived HR and Lunch breaks`

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope my HR doesn't browse this forum...

Anyway I had to go to lunch the other day but it was 2 minutes until compliance so I just got on walkie and said I was going to lunch and I figured I could just go and shop for food and punch correct later since the time clock was too far to reach in 2 minutes without rushing. I got off lunch and HR said I missed my meal and I said no I took my nametag off and went to shop for lunch before compliance and she said "it's too late I already added the time" so when I go to sign for the compliance am I in trouble? I know for sure I was not working when the time for me to got to lunch came so legally I did go to lunch I just never signed out. What's the deal with HR telling me it's "too late" like umm no I was not working even if I was on the clock. I think they're the one in the wrong and I feel stupid asking but what do you think?

read again I was too far from the time thing to punch out so I just took my lunch as if I were gonna punch correct later for not clocking out...make sense? HR didn't seem to get it either...like hey I couldn't make it to the time clock in time but I was already on lunch so I'll punch correct later...get it? but they said no it was too late like umm no it's never too late to punch correct if it's the same day of the missed punch especially lol...hardlinesmaster you mustve not read it all the way because I don't see you as a dolt. EDIT: Simplified I just could not get to the clock in time but I already started my lunch so punch correcting later should be no issue as per past experiences in the last few years. She's kinda new as HR but I didn't think she was so new she didn't understand the punch correct process.

Last edited:
They are cracking down on compliance. Leaders and I think HR gets an alert on the Zebra when someone is near compliance (and stays past their shift). So you doing a punch correction later doesn't stop the alert from going out at the time. Lesson learned, watch the time and go on break.

ehhh, we are all expected to get to the time clock on time especially for our meal. at least at my store, we’d still get in trouble even if we had intentions to do a punch correction.

You won't get in trouble unless you continuously do it. Target takes meal compliance seriously. Just start going to lunch earlier. Set a timer on your phone or zebra. My store if you begin to have problems; you have a scheduled lunch time and someone will walk you to the time clock.

I see what you did there and that’s a shady practice. Used to do it a lot when I worked AP, but maybe I got more slack back then because of my position. However, Target policy is that you only submit a punch correction if you forget to punch or if the time clock isn’t working. Not because you don’t have time to make it there.

Best way to cover your ass here is to say you started your lunch but forgot to clock out. Simply saying that you couldn’t make it in time (Decided to skip using the time clock) would give the ETL an easy way to issue a CA.

read again I was too far from the time thing to punch out so I just took my lunch as if I were gonna punch correct later for not clocking out...make sense? HR didn't seem to get it either...like hey I couldn't make it to the time clock in time but I was already on lunch so I'll punch correct later...get it? but they said no it was too late like umm no it's never too late to punch correct if it's the same day of the missed punch especially lol...hardlinesmaster you mustve not read it all the way because I don't see you as a dolt. EDIT: Simplified I just could not get to the clock in time but I already started my lunch so punch correcting later should be no issue as per past experiences in the last few years. She's kinda new as HR but I didn't think she was so new she didn't understand the punch correct process.
Hey buddy, you are not “on lunch” unless you punch out. Buying something on the clock is considered stealing company’s time. Again, you don’t “start your lunch” unless you punch out. I hope you are capable of understanding this.

I see what you did there and that’s a shady practice. Used to do it a lot when I worked AP, but maybe I got more slack back then because of my position. However, Target policy is that you only submit a punch correction if you forget to punch or if the time clock isn’t working. Not because you don’t have time to make it there.

Best way to cover your ass here is to say you started your lunch but forgot to clock out. Simply saying that you couldn’t make it in time (Decided to skip using the time clock) would give the ETL an easy way to issue a CA.
wow a CA over an honest mistake? I wasnt intending to not make it to the time clock I just noticed it late and decided to just not clock out since the clock was further than a 2 minute walk (I would have had to jog or run to make it) so it's just an unintentional not clocking off in time I was already on my lunch and shopping by the time compliance hit...whatever the case it's been two weeks and still no one has asked me to sign anything but I have signed three punch corrections and one of them looked identical to the time I should've clocked out so maybe HR agreed with me in the end or I misunderstood them. I just wanted other TMs opinions. Thanks!

Hey buddy, you are not “on lunch” unless you punch out. Buying something on the clock is considered stealing company’s time. Again, you don’t “start your lunch” unless you punch out. I hope you are capable of understanding this.
Punch correcting that I was on lunch but didn't clock out because I "forgot" is good enough in my opinion. I get state laws and all but the rule is there to cover Targets ass and guess what...I am not gonna sue Target or try to get them in trouble. I'll sign the compliance sheet if I have to but I was just asking if it's a huge deal that HR wouldn't let me punch correct even though I was already technically on lunch I just never signed out. I can always lie about the reason for not clocking out for lunch so that's moot. I was asking opinions on it and I guess my situation is so weird or vague or something to the point that I get that kinda response from fellow TMs. Hey I'm not ignorant I'm just curious. If I was genuinely worried I would just go talk to my ETL HR and sort it out. This is about bouncing thoughts off TMs from other stores because why not.

They are cracking down on compliance. Leaders and I think HR gets an alert on the Zebra when someone is near compliance (and stays past their shift). So you doing a punch correction later doesn't stop the alert from going out at the time. Lesson learned, watch the time and go on break.
been 3 weeks and I haven't been talked to I think HR just did a punch correction sheet (which I prob signed and didn't notice it was for that incident) and trusted me on it but I was asking for opinions which I thank you for...I never wait til the last second always 15-20 minutes until at the least I just got distracted with a guest and some other nonsense. =P Thanks for everybody responding though. I do appreciate the opinions but the judging can be left at the door. lol I am not new by any means.

Punch correcting that I was on lunch but didn't clock out because I "forgot" is good enough in my opinion. I get state laws and all but the rule is there to cover Targets ass and guess what...I am not gonna sue Target or try to get them in trouble. I'll sign the compliance sheet if I have to but I was just asking if it's a huge deal that HR wouldn't let me punch correct even though I was already technically on lunch I just never signed out. I can always lie about the reason for not clocking out for lunch so that's moot. I was asking opinions on it and I guess my situation is so weird or vague or something to the point that I get that kinda response from fellow TMs. Hey I'm not ignorant I'm just curious. If I was genuinely worried I would just go talk to my ETL HR and sort it out. This is about bouncing thoughts off TMs from other stores because why not.
Again, let me say it slowly. You are not on lunch unless you punch out. There is no such thing as being on lunch “technically”. There something called getting fired for going into compliance. Doing punch corrections cause of laziness is forging company documents.

Again, let me say it slowly. You are not on lunch unless you punch out. There is no such thing as being on lunch “technically”. There something called getting fired for going into compliance. Doing punch corrections cause of laziness is forging company documents.
Laziness? It was a mistake and now you're insulting me. Piss off. Glad I'm not at your store. My eyes are rolling so hard they might fall out of their sockets. For spot's sake. lol

Stop stealing, be decent. You dolt.
Enjoy your day. You won't though with your attitude. Insulting me is not very brand of you. Also who stole hours? No one. If I punch correct it I literally did not get paid for the time I was still walking from the baler. God are you stupid? I wonder if you even read the post correctly. I am punch correcting to fix the fact that I should NOT be paid for the 3 minutes I was late for lunch because I was ALREADY on lunch getting food and it was pointless to go try to clock out if it's too late. SIGH

Last edited:
Enjoy your day. You won't though with your attitude. Insulting me is not very brand of you. Also who stole hours? No one. If I punch correct it I literally did not get paid for the time I was still walking from the baler. God are you stupid? I wonder if you even read the post correctly. I am punch correcting to fix the fact that I should NOT be paid for the 3 minutes I was late for lunch because I was ALREADY on lunch getting food and it was pointless to go try to clock out if it's too late. God are you that dumb? Insult me more, loser.
So there are these things called clocks and watches. They are used to tell time. Usually parents teach you how to use them, but I am sure your store will be happy to train you. I mean what kind of a dolt doesn’t know how to tell time. Once you learn how to tell time. You won’t have this doltish issue.

The issue is you waited until it was too late to reach the time clock. That was a mistake. You got caught up in that. I don't know about your store, but I've heard innumerable times .... Don't wait until you are about to go into compliance to head to the time clock. No one at your store told you this? Go to lunch at hour 5, if a 6 hour state, and you won't have this issue.

That would not go over in my store. It's your responsibility to not wait until the last second, and to get to the time clock before hitting compliance.

. She's kinda new as HR but I didn't think she was so new she didn't understand the punch correct process.

Sounds to me like she understands it fine. You don't. Clocking out for your meal break is required, you don't get to just bypass it.

Last edited:
I hope my HR doesn't browse this forum...

Anyway I had to go to lunch the other day but it was 2 minutes until compliance so I just got on walkie and said I was going to lunch and I figured I could just go and shop for food and punch correct later since the time clock was too far to reach in 2 minutes without rushing. I got off lunch and HR said I missed my meal and I said no I took my nametag off and went to shop for lunch before compliance and she said "it's too late I already added the time" so when I go to sign for the compliance am I in trouble? I know for sure I was not working when the time for me to got to lunch came so legally I did go to lunch I just never signed out. What's the deal with HR telling me it's "too late" like umm no I was not working even if I was on the clock. I think they're the one in the wrong and I feel stupid asking but what do you think?
Breaks and lunches don’t start until you enter the operator door . You are still on the clock until you Enter that door be it for lunch or break. So for you to say legally you went to lunch is a bit bs . Legally you were still on the clock and on the Salesfloor available for guest. Besides for your break you get paid for lunch you don’t. Any way you put it, if you didn’t enter that door and clocked out or announced your break to me and anyone else at least in my store means you are still on the clock.

Breaks and lunches don’t start until you enter the operator door . You are still on the clock until you Enter that door be it for lunch or break. So for you to say legally you went to lunch is a bit bs . Legally you were still on the clock and on the Salesfloor available for guest. Besides for your break you get paid for lunch you don’t. Any way you put it, if you didn’t enter that door and clocked out or announced your break to me and anyone else at least in my store means you are still on the clock.
F**** yeah!! That was exhilarating!!

They are cracking down on compliance big time. In New York, you need to take a meal within the first 6 hours of your shift. But leaders want us to take it within the fifth hour.

For an 8am-4pm shift, I'd rather take my meal at 1:30 instead of 12:45

Enjoy your day. You won't though with your attitude. Insulting me is not very brand of you. Also who stole hours? No one. If I punch correct it I literally did not get paid for the time I was still walking from the baler. God are you stupid? I wonder if you even read the post correctly. I am punch correcting to fix the fact that I should NOT be paid for the 3 minutes I was late for lunch because I was ALREADY on lunch getting food and it was pointless to go try to clock out if it's too late. SIGH
Your HR was just being an ass. That happens a lot when they just get the position recently and then they think they can use it for something else. It was wrong to give you a CA. I know what you mean. You would just punch correct and take out minutes out of your paid time so basically you are giving them back your "money". At my store, I see TMs doing it all the time, even when they wouldn't even be close to compliance. They pay for whatever they will eat and then go to the timeclock and clock out. I'd just say if it happens again, don't announce it over the walkie. Just go low profile and talk your way out. But getting a CA for a punch correction is stupid.

Surprised people are being sympathetic to this. You should have made the effort and rushed. It's your responsibility to take lunch on time. If you can't take it by your 5th hour, go at your 4th. I'm someone who thinks it's silly to scrutinize time down to the second, however, it's so easy to not hit compliance....you really have no one else to blame but yourself. So I wouldn't be so shocked at it being taken seriously.

Having said that, if it were me, I would have just "forgot" to clock out for lunch, and clocked back in 5 minutes early. Example, if my 5th hour was at Noon, I would clock back in at 12:40, so I could argue I left at 11:55.

That’s not necessary true. So you’re saying everyone who truly forgets to punch out and does a punch correction later isn’t on lunch and should be given a CA for time theft? Relax man....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back