Archived HR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGSTLman

FBTL
Hello. I have an ethical question I need answered. I recently had to do a follow up on a NC/NS with a team member. Our ETL-HR said that if the TM said he called but "didn't know who he spoke with" that I was to look at his call log on his phone to see if he called the store. I did, he had. She then asked me if I saw how long the conversation lasted, which I didn't.

I don't know if this is allowed. I mean, I understand we need to hold the teams accountable but should we be going to those lengths -- invading privacy?

Thanks. Wasn't sure what the protocol was there. Just seemed like something a bit sneaky.

I texted a call off to my TL one morning i was too sick to even want to call. Next day ETL-LOG asked to see my texts to him to make sure it was legitimate. I dont see anything unethical here unless you were instructed to take the TMs phone yourself and invade their personal space bur it was work related and no further information was obtained and im aure the TM was glad to show do they didnt get a ncns

I texted a call off to my TL one morning i was too sick to even want to call. Next day ETL-LOG asked to see my texts to him to make sure it was legitimate. I dont see anything unethical here unless you were instructed to take the TMs phone yourself and invade their personal space bur it was work related and no further information was obtained and im aure the TM was glad to show do they didnt get a ncns

Unless your tl was lod at the time a text is unacceptable way to call out.

Target has no right to see what's on your phone. From a legal stand point it's bad business.

Last edited:
@HRZone thank you!! The TM called out the night before and spoke to the LOD. my next move would have been to figure out who the LOD was that night and verify it with them. I hated the idea of asking him to show me his phone. He did with no problem but you might not always be that lucky.

At my store, some of the LODs wouldn't even remember who called out. Heck, some of them dont even know some TMs. Once, I answered a call and the tm said she was running a couple minutes late, so I just let the LOD know instead of transferring the call. I'm like "(tm first name) is going to be a little late." and he was like "who???"

This is what happens when you plug people into roles they have no business being in. Any respectable HR with common sense would know you don't ask someone that.

If I was that TM I would've said it's none of your business what's in my phone. If you pressed on the issue a call to the hotline would follow.

Texting out is not allowed. You call, ask to speak to LOD. If they are busy and someone wants to take a message, get their name and note the time. No LOD,will EVER look in my phone. EVER. TLs that use their phone to allow team members to change shifts, call in or ask questions about work are asking for trouble. You are not on the clock. The team members need to follow the rules and go through work including Targets phones. My LOD asked me to call one of my team members to ask them a question.When i told him I didnt have their phone number he was dumbfounded. I don't work off the clock and I will not use my phone to call my team members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back