Archived Husband and wife - ETL and TM in the same building?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Target has strict rules about husband/wife & boyfriend/girlfriend working in the same store even districts sometimes. However, I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who is currently doing this with knowledge of their STL? I am an ETL & my husband would be a great addition to Target, and I have brought this forward only to find out about the rules. However, I question this because I optioned out of being involved with any discussion around him if he did get employed & he would never work during the same time as myself as a TM. I question it as well because we have 3 or 4 couples in the building including a Sr.TL and a GSTL working in the store & they do overlap working schedules sometimes. Any insight on this topic? Thanks!

Stupid question? Are you the Lod over him? Welcome, by the way. As long as you are not his boss or work in the same area, it should be ok.

No one here can speak with certainty because it would ultimately be a decision of the STL or DTL. Higher-ups tend to interpret things their own way so rules tend to vary between stores and districts. That said, as long as you do not directly supervise your spouse it would be within Target policy. My store has an unusually high amount of married couples- including a SrTl- but that doesn't mean your store will be quite as receptive.

Stupid question? Are you the Lod over him? Welcome, by the way. As long as you are not his boss or work in the same area, it should be ok.

I would be if he was on the sales floor, yes. However, the plan was to never work the same shift, so that I wouldn't have direct supervision over him, which is very doable since we accommodate other couples & I do the schedule. Also, he was going to work on flow 4am and overnight and I'm softlines.

I think it's a bad idea. If I was an STL I wouldn't allow it because of the fact that you are privy to information that other Team Members don't know. There is a chance your hubbs may find out soemthing he's not supposed to know. How would you react in a contribution meeting if another ETL said that your husband was a poor performer and needed to be let go? I'm not trying to be negative about your situation, I just don't think it's a good idea.

It can be done. I did it for years. It had to be okayed at the group level. Most team members had no clue we were married. We went in together one Sat to do some shopping and a member of my team asked if we were "dating". Cracked us up! We were not suppose to work the same closing shift as LOD and TL but it did happen on occasion. We never allowed ourselves to be alone in any office together and we were never closer than an arms length to each other. He has since moved on to another career. It worked for us but I am sure it wouldn't for everyone.

I totally understand that perspective. Trust me I have thought of it. But I'm kinda cut throat and if he sucks, he sucks. No going around it. I'd probably talk him out of target because I wouldn't want him on anyone's team if he is a poor performer.

He is a high potential to move up from a professional opinion, and he is still in college and just needs a part time job until he can graduate. Target can give him opportunity and we can both move around without having him worry about having to find a job once he's graduated. It gives him an insight on whether or not retail is for him.

Why would you have your husband take such a crappy/crappy paying job?

He is a high potential to move up from a professional opinion, and he is still in college and just needs a part time job until he can graduate. Target can give him opportunity and we can both move around without having him worry about having to find a job once he's graduated. It gives him an insight on whether or not retail is for him.
It pays the bills!

There's a lot of better retail outlets than Target to get experience. Heck I heard Costco pays pretty darn good ;)

I wouldn't wish working at Target on my worst enemy.

Working with your significant other just creates problems. Best to just avoid it and have him work elsewhere.

Its a personal thing maybe. I love target. I bleed red, haha. Our store and district has an awesome culture. Team members like their jobs here :) Every area of the U.S. is different for sure. And culture is sometimes stronger in different groups and districts.

I hope this doesn't happen. It's the worst situation there can be.
You will not be impartial. Save it, don't even try to fool yourself.
It's not fair to the workers at the store. It's not fair to your or him.
I want to just rip into you right now about this, but I won't.

New ETLs are just adorable.

You're kidding yourself if your STL or ETL-HR would even think of signing off on this. Even if you were to work different shifts there's still contribution meetings which would make you privy to and have input on his performance. Not to mention the fact that its specifically in the team member handbook that ETLs can't be in a relationship with anyone in the store. It's not gonna happen. If you even propose this idea to your STL they're going to take it as a reflection of you having poor judgment and not knowing your own guidelines. It would be in your best interest not to even suggest this idea.

Yes, this message might seem hostile but an avatar that says "Expect More. Complain Less." from an ETL just pisses me off to no end because it's the exact mindframe that makes actual change and constructive criticism difficult in this company because any voice (guest or team member) that isn't "vibe" is just labeled a complainer. By the way, you're not the only ETL who thinks everyone in their district loves the company and their job...

Now that I've thought about it more I just want to say, Lifeinsoftlines I feel sorry for people who have to work with you. You lack any sort of critical thinking, you are not able to see potential problems, you're already showing signs of favoritism, and you're clueless about the work environment you're in. It's nice you want something good for your husband, no one faults you for that, but not at the expense of others. It's time to grow up. If you need me to explain it further and in detail then please ask.

You know, I failed to mention it in my original post but the other source of my hostility is that this person is an ETL, effectively one of the top decision makers in a multi-million dollar business. This is who Target management prefers to handle their daily business decisions over TLs and team members who have been with the company and have learned the business. This is indicative where Target is going with their management hiring practices and it's sad they are overlooking all the talented people who are already working at their stores in favor of fresh college grads whose entire retail experience may have consisted of a summer of in store internship.

You know, I failed to mention it in my original post but the other source of my hostility is that this person is an ETL, effectively one of the top decision makers in a multi-million dollar business. This is who Target management prefers to handle their daily business decisions over TLs and team members who have been with the company and have learned the business. This is indicative where Target is going with their management hiring practices and it's sad they are overlooking all the talented people who are already working at their stores in favor of fresh college grads whose entire retail experience may have consisted of a summer of in store internship.

Target does have a lot of upper management waste.. The 10 or so etls is really overkill for my old store and is nothing but a payroll black hole. 500k is a lot of middle management/tm positions! Why doesn't spot remove useless etls instead of having no team members on the floor, which seems to be the growing trend...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing to say. You sound like the most closed minded person in the world and its really too bad you feel that way. Thanks for your opinion anyways. (P.S. The avatar is in regards to our guests)

Everyone, remember life's stl has no problem with it. She did say there was other couples in the same store.

Everyone, remember life's stl has no problem with it. She did say there was other couples in the same store.

The specific instance of the other couples were TL/Sr. TL though which is (LOD shift, aside) more or less a relationship between peers. An ETL and team member though is entirely different. The biggest issue, as I mentioned previously, would be the ETL contribution meetings. Contribution meetings wouldn't affect TL/Sr. TL though because neither of those positions should be involved in ETL contribution meetings.

The ETL in question is trying to compare TM's dating, it reminds me of a child arguing with their parents saying their friend got to do it. It is 100% wrong and shouldn't happen.

Yeah its really out of place for a salaried manager to be involved outside of work with a TM that they may be LOD over. Period.

Theres a Front end TM at my old store that is friends with a particular ETL outside of work, and is also friends with the longstanding GSTL. The amount of preferential treatment she gets is obscene. Just found out that she got my vacant GSA position handed to her. She was Photo Lab assistant before (which she got handed to her as well after they drove out our last assistant), but I think they finally axed that position with the move to dry lab. I'm not the only one who notices what goes on either; especially considering the other GSA and her are best friends, it just looks so bad.

OP, you want this to happen at your store? Because it will. Once people find out you and a TM are involved, they will hang you out to dry for it. Best to stay uninvolved and IMPARTIAL when it comes to your subordinates.

I thought I already mentioned this, but I would not contribute to contribution for TMs. ETLs do not do contribution in our store anyways, that is only our TLs. All of our other married couples in the store do not take part of contribution or staffing when it comes to areas of their significant others. It would be the same circumstance here. However, I do see what you all are saying. However, in our store it's part of our culture & it's not "unprofessional" as it seems from other perspectives. I'm sorry you feel that way ' stuipd rules'. I started this thread as a question, I don't believe I have been "arguing" with anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back