Archived Hypothetical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say you're in charge of a store. You have the greatest TM ever working at said store. This TM is trained in every single TM position, and can do every position better than everyone else. What work center would you put them in?

Logistics in my opinion. Having a good backroom sets up the rest of the store for success. Because if Backroom is in trouble, then the rest of the store suffers.

Service Desk. A rockstar there can take the pressure off the GSTL/GSA and they in turn take the pressure off the LOD who can then address non front-end issues.

Instocks... This team needs to understand and appreciate all workcenters and the synergy that occurs. They must be versatile, flexible, accurate, knowledgeable and able to "fix" as they go.
Now if only my store would understand that, then maybe the floor would be in better shape.

Logistics. Mostly backroom or in stocks. Some of the most important positions in the store

Service Desk. A rockstar there can take the pressure off the GSTL/GSA and they in turn take the pressure off the LOD who can then address non front-end issues.

God no. A good service desk person is highly underrated by the LOD. I would work my butt off to have guest services looking perfect. I would get everything done. I am quick with guests and get them in and out. And thus a clean service desk always gives the appearance that I'm not doing anything (even when I'm working on something "extra"). Then the LOD would come by and make comments about not standing around not doing anything (extra special when it was the SrGSTL at the time doing it). But unfortunately she would just be saying what most of them were thinking. Only my STL thanks me for a spotless and well run guest services.

Best TM ever? Put them on track for Logistics TL. Eventual STL, potential CEO. A leader that understands the ins-&-outs of every position would be a huge advantage for a store.

Last edited:
God no. A good service desk person is highly underrated by the LOD. I would work my butt off to have guest services looking perfect. I would get everything done. I am quick with guests and get them in and out. And thus a clean service desk always gives the appearance that I'm not doing anything (even when I'm working on something "extra"). Then the LOD would come by and make comments about not standing around not doing anything (extra special when it was the SrGSTL at the time doing it). But unfortunately she would just be saying what most of them were thinking. Only my STL thanks me for a spotless and well run guest services.

Wow that's terrible. Our GSTLs and ETLs (and I!) are always up the SDTM's ass about keeping things clean. Chaos at guest service is one of my personal pet peeves. I would probably start singing show tunes and dancing if I walked up to the service desk and didn't find anything that needed to be sorted, tagged, cleaned or organized.

Wow that's terrible. Our GSTLs and ETLs (and I!) are always up the SDTM's ass about keeping things clean. Chaos at guest service is one of my personal pet peeves. I would probably start singing show tunes and dancing if I walked up to the service desk and didn't find anything that needed to be sorted, tagged, cleaned or organized.
My store is like this as well. We even get shout-outs on the walkie from a particular LOD about running a clean desk (she even gave us Starbucks GCs as thanks). I cannot work at the desk when it's chaotic. I will take 5 minutes to do a quick clean while someone else helps guests just so that I can work more efficiently.

Like a lot of others are saying, Logistics or POG are the areas where a really spectacular TM can have a huge impact on the store.

Signs.

Then they can help the pog team but be free to do all the random stuff that crops up.
I know, right? I hate our pptls day off or when she leaves earlier than the rest of the team...so many dumb questions. That they don't listen to my answer anyway.

I agree with where they want within reason. Backroom is a good choice, especially steel. Receiving maybe. Pog or pricing. Signing. Pfresh assistant if you are pfresh. Instocks if your team ever gets to scan stuff.

One huge variable… What area of the store is currently lacking/underperforming? What area is experiencing a pilot or remodel in your store? Does the DTL have an area they are trying to focus on in your district (maybe even group)? If your Logistics is a well oiled machine, your Plano is always working one week ahead, your in stocks are always green, but your red cards are lowest in the district you will want to add/shuffle strength to the area that needs the most help.

But… Your question was hypothetical and I am assuming this is a variable we aren't looking at.

Where will that team member be happiest? What do they want to learn? Do they earn red cards and sell attachments but at the end of the day feel unethical about pushing these things? Can they beat push times and move the flow team out minutes early everyday but feel unfulfilled without the guest interaction? Is their personal interest in seeing many areas of scoring and seeing them all green? Sometimes the most amazing team member gets placed into a position that they will do but aren't happy with and get burned out unexpectedly.

All those things considered…
Give them to CVS. We don't wanna feel bad for issuing another E to someone who deserves an O come reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back