I am so done...

Let me start by saying that as someone who works at the front end of the store, the job itself is manageable and fairly easy to do and besides the occasional asshole customer, it's whatever. My issue is quite literally everything else that has been going on and it all started when I first began working there. I started a little over a year ago and should have immediately left when I sat through an 8hr orientation and was thrown on the register with no training literally a day later. It was a major red flag, especially since I kept getting in trouble for making mistakes and had to keep reminding my managers I was never trained for the job. You would think that they would finally decide to formally train me instead of acting surprised every time I made a mistake but nope, they just went on about their day.

The biggest red flag was my team leader, who I will call Janet. I should have known shit would hit the fan when she would reprimand me for things I did when she wasn't even here and I soon learned that Janet would sit in the parking lot after clocking out and would watch us, which creeped us all out, especially the cart attendants. She is also rude, has no idea how to properly speak to people and has a habit of singling out an employee when she's in a bad mood and harassing them their entire shift. Me and multiple other coworkers are constantly being pulled into her office to be reprimanded over small petty shit like not greeting every single guest that walks into the store when cleaning carts or forgetting to highlight the survey at the end of the receipt and putting our name every now and then. I can't even ask for her help because she has a nasty ass attitude and says shit like, "I am not a fairy. I can't pull out my magic wand and magically fix the problem, figure it out yourself," like...okay? And it has been like this since I started when she lashed out at me on my first day of work because I had no idea where the lockers were.

It has gotten worse ever since we got a new director for the store who practically encourages her way of management. Multiple people have quit because of Janet and despite being reported constantly, they only end up talking to her which literally does nothing. The only thing she has stopped doing since being reported is showing up to work drunk after clocking out, which should have gotten her fired. I am constantly on edge and watching over my shoulder because she has a habit of keeping a close eye on me and making sure I am doing everything to a T, and even then she'll find something to nitpick. Even when she's not here we have to deal with the new team leader reporting literally anything we do to Janet so when she comes in to work the next day she starts getting on our ass. The new team leader is too much of a pussy to tell us to our face that something we're doing is bothering her and knows we hate Janet so she uses that to her advantage. It is an uncomfortable and unhappy work environment and I am so done.

KEKW I say it’s perfectly fine what they gonna do? Fire you? Call you more often in the office to ‘coach’ you? That’s free money man.

Let me start by saying that as someone who works at the front end of the store, the job itself is manageable and fairly easy to do and besides the occasional asshole customer, it's whatever. My issue is quite literally everything else that has been going on and it all started when I first began working there. I started a little over a year ago and should have immediately left when I sat through an 8hr orientation and was thrown on the register with no training literally a day later. It was a major red flag, especially since I kept getting in trouble for making mistakes and had to keep reminding my managers I was never trained for the job. You would think that they would finally decide to formally train me instead of acting surprised every time I made a mistake but nope, they just went on about their day.

The biggest red flag was my team leader, who I will call Janet. I should have known shit would hit the fan when she would reprimand me for things I did when she wasn't even here and I soon learned that Janet would sit in the parking lot after clocking out and would watch us, which creeped us all out, especially the cart attendants. She is also rude, has no idea how to properly speak to people and has a habit of singling out an employee when she's in a bad mood and harassing them their entire shift. Me and multiple other coworkers are constantly being pulled into her office to be reprimanded over small petty shit like not greeting every single guest that walks into the store when cleaning carts or forgetting to highlight the survey at the end of the receipt and putting our name every now and then. I can't even ask for her help because she has a nasty ass attitude and says shit like, "I am not a fairy. I can't pull out my magic wand and magically fix the problem, figure it out yourself," like...okay? And it has been like this since I started when she lashed out at me on my first day of work because I had no idea where the lockers were.

It has gotten worse ever since we got a new director for the store who practically encourages her way of management. Multiple people have quit because of Janet and despite being reported constantly, they only end up talking to her which literally does nothing. The only thing she has stopped doing since being reported is showing up to work drunk after clocking out, which should have gotten her fired. I am constantly on edge and watching over my shoulder because she has a habit of keeping a close eye on me and making sure I am doing everything to a T, and even then she'll find something to nitpick. Even when she's not here we have to deal with the new team leader reporting literally anything we do to Janet so when she comes in to work the next day she starts getting on our ass. The new team leader is too much of a pussy to tell us to our face that something we're doing is bothering her and knows we hate Janet so she uses that to her advantage. It is an uncomfortable and unhappy work environment and I am so done.
We may be working at same store.... lmao... I think it’s whatever the way the wind is blowing honestly

Target management and corporation is a joke, I know many people at my store and the country quit because of a toxic workplace and management. I’m at Cart Attendant and we deal with the most bs than anyone up front whether they realize it or not.

Target management and corporation is a joke, I know many people at my store and the country quit because of a toxic workplace and management. I’m at Cart Attendant and we deal with the most bs than anyone up front whether they realize it or not.
absolutely. my manager is constantly telling me how easy it is while she never does it herself

This so much.

You have to communicate and sometimes ask for follow up.

How is your HR? Good HR can make a big difference when it comes to situations like this.
last hr did nothing and was fired, current hr does nothing and doesnt care either

I'm curious as to what you do as a CA. Our cart attendants bring in carts and does the occasional carry in/out, empties hangers at the lanes and empties the plastic bag recycle bin If necessary, they may occasionally watch SCO or cashier but not usually. One of our CAs can also do drive up when an extra is needed. There isn't a lot of direct guest interaction by our CA, so that's why I'm curious about dealing with the most bs up front.

My FOSA literally do it all. Backup on lane answer phones, pull items to carry out for guests, respond on walkie with absolutely zero seconds given till they answer hands-free of course because they were running a driveup out and figured let me grab a row of carts while I am out here! Taking blame for anything in a millisecond that isn’t brand standard. An absolute thank less job! It’s sad to watch me team take on more and more and it’s not enough.... miss the target I loved!

Nope because multiple coworkers have already done so and nothing has been done. I plan on putting in my two weeks this week so I can just get out of here
Use your vacation, personal, & sick leave first. You might want talk to your sd about your issues. If the events are documented & not heresay, there maybe an investigation in the works due to others saying something to hr.

I'm curious as to what you do as a CA. Our cart attendants bring in carts and does the occasional carry in/out, empties hangers at the lanes and empties the plastic bag recycle bin If necessary, they may occasionally watch SCO or cashier but not usually. One of our CAs can also do drive up when an extra is needed. There isn't a lot of direct guest interaction by our CA, so that's why I'm curious about dealing with the most bs up front.
Customers tend to bother us, Worrying about idiot drivers in the parking lot, Bathroom checks most of the time, Take defects to the back room an hour before close sometimes a few times during the day, Management does not give us enough respect, Take out trash, Get yelled at by customers sometimes over questions we answer especially if we don’t know, Cart Attendants deal with more than cashiers and people who work at guest service. GS and Cashiers only deal with customers, They don’t deal with other risks. Until they know what we have to deal with, I don’t wanna hear shit about them complaining about how bad it is to be at GS or cashier. A lot of them refuse to be cross trained to do spills and carry outs and whatnot because they are too pussy and lazy to do it and expect us to do it all for them which is bullshit.

Last edited:
All the people who think CA’s don’t deal with much or don’t do much are either part of the retail problem or are just flat out ignorant but wouldn’t dare to try the job position. My store is toxic like a lot of other target stores in this country so...., I can’t wait until I can finally quit my job one day there and leave this pathetic toxic place.

All the people who think CA’s don’t deal with much or don’t do much are either part of the retail problem or are just flat out ignorant but wouldn’t dare to try the job position. My store is toxic like a lot of other target stores in this country so...., I can’t wait until I can finally quit my job one day there and leave this pathetic toxic place.
Not the answer I expected. I actually wanted to know what you do that is different from other CA's that causes you to deal with the most bs at the front end. I always thought that those at guest service did. (No, I don't work at guest service and from my description you can see that I am well aware of the expectations of the CA's in my store.) But, hey! You do you and contribute to the toxicity of your store.

Customers tend to bother us, Worrying about idiot drivers in the parking lot, Bathroom checks most of the time, Take defects to the back room an hour before close sometimes a few times during the day, Management does not give us enough respect, Take out trash, Get yelled at by customers sometimes over questions we answer especially if we don’t know, Cart Attendants deal with more than cashiers and people who work at guest service. GS and Cashiers only deal with customers, They don’t deal with other risks. Until they know what we have to deal with, I don’t wanna hear shit about them complaining about how bad it is to be at GS or cashier. A lot of them refuse to be cross trained to do spills and carry outs and whatnot because they are too pussy and lazy to do it and expect us to do it all for them which is bullshit.
Ok. Read this and literally laughed out loud. You seriously have no clue. (My best clue? They're guests and if you actually have worked at Spot for more than a minute you'd never even think "customer".)

Ok. Read this and literally laughed out loud. You seriously have no clue. (My best clue? They're guests and if you actually have worked at Spot for more than a minute you'd never even think "customer".)
Then you are probably part of the problem why the work world is the way it is especially retail, we do just as much work and don’t stand behind a desk most of the time. Try being a cart attendant one day and see if you wanna stick with it. Targets job description and how they treat us is ridiculous, Can’t even get others to help when we need it but will get mad if we say no to them when we can’t. Pathetic.

Big problems these days especially at target is all they hire is snowflake and lazy people who need a safe space and they allow mistreatment to happen and bias and workplace drama. People who support stuff like that are part of the problem on why target is a joke and why good people don’t wanna stay working for them. You might know the job description but not understand it completely and again, Definitely just as much bs dealt with than being behind a cashier register or service desk.

Big problems these days especially at target is all they hire is snowflake and lazy people who need a safe space and they allow mistreatment to happen and bias and workplace drama. People who support stuff like that are part of the problem on why target is a joke and why good people don’t wanna stay working for them. You might know the job description but not understand it completely and again, Definitely just as much bs dealt with than being behind a cashier register or service desk.

Not speaking for @Rarejem here but it was your use of the word customer that kinda made what you said look off.
You get trained to say guest really early on and it sticks.
My issue is your use of snowflake and safe spaces especially since they are totally out of context.
Seriously, just no.
Dude, most of the stuff you are describing are part of the world of working retail.
It sucks.
But it isn't specific to Target.
There are a lot of things they could do to mitigate the problems and some stores do but most just don't bother.
Welcome to how fucked up life can be.
At least you haven't been fired for having disabilities.

Not speaking for @Rarejem here but it was your use of the word customer that kinda made what you said look off.
You get trained to say guest really early on and it sticks.
My issue is your use of snowflake and safe spaces especially since they are totally out of context.
Seriously, just no.
Dude, most of the stuff you are describing are part of the world of working retail.
It sucks.
But it isn't specific to Target.
There are a lot of things they could do to mitigate the problems and some stores do but most just don't bother.
Welcome to how fucked up life can be.
At least you haven't been fired for having disabilities.
Customer is not the same thing as guest lol. Idc if it doesn’t stick to me for their cult ways. And yeah there’s a lot of snowflakes that work there who are either easily offended and lazy to do stuff and wanna do the minimum. I’m not the same as them and I will work hard until I finally quit. And I know that’s retail but cart attendants deal with a lot and there’s a lot of drama and workplace bias. Truth hurts and Ima do things at my job the right way. 🤷‍♂️

@Duval Dawg I respect the cart attendants, you are right in that you guys have a lot on your plates. It's very physical work. I have helped getting carts before and felt like I wanted to pass out lol. Now granted I'm a woman of a certain age and in probably the worst shape of my life, not necessarily weight but overall stamina and condition.

Serious question: do you enjoy your job? Is your biggest complaint the job itself or that you feel you aren't appreciated? If you like your work try to focus on that, and know that there are TMs like me who know how hard the cart attendants work.

@Duval Dawg I respect the cart attendants, you are right in that you guys have a lot on your plates. It's very physical work. I have helped getting carts before and felt like I wanted to pass out lol. Now granted I'm a woman of a certain age and in probably the worst shape of my life, not necessarily weight but overall stamina and condition.

Serious question: do you enjoy your job? Is your biggest complaint the job itself or that you feel you aren't appreciated? If you like your work try to focus on that, and know that there are TMs like me who know how hard the cart attendants work.
It’s the way the workplace, management and lazy workers mostly. The amount of work I have to put in although lots of it is overall easy but when I ask for help I barely get it but they’ll get mad if I say no to them at GS from time to time. I’m not appreciated by many and I think it’s because of my personality because I’m not like a lot of the people they have in their culture. I’m trying to quit and find a new job but haven’t had much luck. I just want out of Target/Big Retail and my store for good to be honestly.

Last edited:
Then you are probably part of the problem why the work world is the way it is especially retail, we do just as much work and don’t stand behind a desk most of the time. Try being a cart attendant one day and see if you wanna stick with it. Targets job description and how they treat us is ridiculous, Can’t even get others to help when we need it but will get mad if we say no to them when we can’t. Pathetic.
Been there, done that. It's NOT the work center with the most bs and I have worked in just about every work center over the course of many years with Spot. Do I respect our CA's? Absolutely! Do they work hard? Absolutely! Do I appreciate them? Absolutely! I thank them every single time they bring in carts. I have helped them to straighten their cart lines so they don't stick together. Maybe I'm part of the problem. I do my job, I help others when needed, I have a positive attitude and thank my coworkers when they assist me and I recognize them when they've gone above and beyond, and I don't expect gushing thank you recognitions for doing my job. This isn't my first rodeo and it is definitely not the career I started with, but it is the one I will end with and I'm happy with that. Good luck finding a new job. I hope you find one that will be a better fit.

Back