Archived I cut up my Target Check Card today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...I usually keep a security balance in my checking, so I never paid much attention to my redcard purchases, but after reading this thread, I checked yesterdays transaction. Yep, it posted, just says pending. I do get a text if my account falls below $100, so no overdrafts for me!

I usually keep an extra 100 to 200 in my checking account just for this reason too.

Maybe it's just my bank, but mine come out right away, they don't "lump" into one payment??? Then again, I don't use mine very often, but just went and checked my bank account vs. the receipts and they've all cleared within 24 hours...

Maybe it's just my bank, but mine come out right away, they don't "lump" into one payment??? Then again, I don't use mine very often, but just went and checked my bank account vs. the receipts and they've all cleared within 24 hours...

Mine's the same way. I haven't had that problem either.

I've been thinking about getting rid of mine, too. It's a debit card - why isn't showing up as soon as I make the transaction instead of 2-3 days later? There is no time lag with my other debit card. Too hard to keep track of transactions and balances.

I'm much happier without it. Not as many impulse buys and I know what's in there is in there.

I've been thinking about getting rid of mine, too. It's a debit card - why isn't showing up as soon as I make the transaction instead of 2-3 days later? There is no time lag with my other debit card. Too hard to keep track of transactions and balances.
Your other debit is tied directly to your bank account which is why it shows up sooner. The Tgt debit has to go through the Target bank first which is why it takes that extra time. I just deduct mine right away and it seems to be working out fine. I've had it since when they offered it to team members.

Your other debit is tied directly to your bank account which is why it shows up sooner. The Tgt debit has to go through the Target bank first which is why it takes that extra time. I just deduct mine right away and it seems to be working out fine. I've had it since when they offered it to team members.
I used mine yesterday (about 4 pm) and checked my online banking this morning and it was already deducted??? Not that it's a big deal because our checking account never gets that low, but I think the user's bank has something to do with the time it takes to be deducted...

I haven't had any problems with the debit card, but the Target credit card was evil. I made a lot of big purchases in one month and ended up hitting my credit limit, so I paid the whole thing off through the REDcard website, and it took over two weeks AFTER the withdrawal had cleared my checking account before they let me use the REDcard again. I called REDcard customer service and they basically said they didn't believe I really had enough money to pay off the card... Well, I guess they know where I work, right?

Just an FYI about Bank of America. There is a class action lawsuit about their practice of deducting the larger debits first regardless of order it came in. After the larger debits it would do the smaller debits in the hopes that if it goes overdraft so they can charge more overdraft fees. They did it to me once, $35 for a .50 cent debit... I use chase now.

Just an FYI about Bank of America. There is a class action lawsuit about their practice of deducting the larger debits first regardless of order it came in. After the larger debits it would do the smaller debits in the hopes that if it goes overdraft so they can charge more overdraft fees. They did it to me once, $35 for a .50 cent debit... I use chase now.

I think that was settled. I've been with BofA 30 years, so I got a refund check, but I don't remember how much it was. Chase & Wells Fargo were doing it too, as it happened to my son & daughter, but after BofA got sued, I think all the banks finally learned they can't get away with that any more.

The tricky part is the ONLY methods of payment to get your employee discount is with a Target Visa, a Target Check Card, check, cash, or Target credit card. So by cutting up this card, you will lose out on one of your methods of acceptable forms of payment to get your discount.
$175 in overdraft fees. Not all from the check card but it played a major role. Even though I turned overdraft protection off they still go through due to it going through Target. Nevermind my bank grouping all my transactions from last week into yesterday! Good riddance! I'm also considering cancelling my debit card and getting an ATM card or switching banks.

If I am not mistaken, all transactions via the Target Debit card are converted into Electronic Check Drafts. Different banks handle Electronic drafts in different manners. This conversion to electronic draft is what usually results in the "float time" on each transaction. Target applies the same algorithm to allowing your Target Debit transactions as it does with your check writing. I do not know if your combined check writing and debit card use would result in a decline of a transaction....

I know there used to be a series of "levels" with writing checks to control risks where you moved through the various levels.... Don't remember the amounts, but something like 3 checks in a 2 week period for less than $200 that clear ok moves you to lv1...then 5 checks for between 200-500 in a month moves you to lv 2.... then 8 for between 500-1000 made you lv 3 and the glorious top tier was lv 4 where you had no check limit but an upper 30 day rolling limit of $2500. If you had a transaction declined then you were bumped down to the next level and had check writing privileges suspended until you honored the NSF.

a little overcomplicated analysis, but whatever floats your boat, long story short, it's a shame that Target doesn't allow it's employees to use all forms of payment, including whichever credit and check cards a team member happens to own.
If I am not mistaken, all transactions via the Target Debit card are converted into Electronic Check Drafts. Different banks handle Electronic drafts in different manners. This conversion to electronic draft is what usually results in the "float time" on each transaction. Target applies the same algorithm to allowing your Target Debit transactions as it does with your check writing. I do not know if your combined check writing and debit card use would result in a decline of a transaction....

I know there used to be a series of "levels" with writing checks to control risks where you moved through the various levels.... Don't remember the amounts, but something like 3 checks in a 2 week period for less than $200 that clear ok moves you to lv1...then 5 checks for between 200-500 in a month moves you to lv 2.... then 8 for between 500-1000 made you lv 3 and the glorious top tier was lv 4 where you had no check limit but an upper 30 day rolling limit of $2500. If you had a transaction declined then you were bumped down to the next level and had check writing privileges suspended until you honored the NSF.

I am fascinated/mystified by the details of how the two systems and their interplay or lack thereof.

Once, a guest tried to make purchase with her new Target check card of nearly $120 and asked for $40 cash back. It was declined. I wondered if the purchase amount was too large for the first time. I asked her if she had any cash at all to reduce the amount needed from the card. She answered in the negative. She then tried without the cash back and the check card was declined again. I called a team leader over to see what I could do.

He allowed me to give the 5% discount (I seem to sometimes get inconsistent answers on this at my store, but I have always given at least an apology coupon) and he suggested that she use her regular bank card. She said it was in her other purse and she would have to leave to get it (I did not catch whether she meant it was in her car or at her house, or if she even remembered). Well, I find that at least half the time when a guest says he/she must leave and return with ID/payment, the guest does not return.

My mind then jumped to the reflexive question I always ask a guest when I am trying to convince a guest to open a red card: I asked if she had a check. She was confused, but eventually answered that her checkbook was in the purse she had with her. OOPS! I thought. The system will decline her check for the same reason as her check card and she will be inconvenienced further and never want to shop at Target again.

I reconfirmed that she had no cash at all. I took off the 5% (subconsciously rounding up a little, since I felt bad about all the inconvenience she faced simply trying to use a program we advertised to get 5% off). She wrote the check for over $112. I crossed each finger as I fed the check in. I expected to see a decline, but after first swiped her Driver's license (preceded by a brief but heart-stopping search for it) THEN keyed her DL#, the little dog appeared with with a thumbs-up.

Maybe I felt too emotional, but I always find it very awkward and embarrassing when a guest does everything right in using a program I must promote constantly and then he or she is almost unable to use it based on something I am not supposed to advertise.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw a lot of payment problems on the debit card. Most of the issues were not the guests fault, but ours.

Leave it to target to have us push a broken product.

$175 in overdraft fees. Not all from the check card but it played a major role. Even though I turned overdraft protection off they still go through due to it going through Target. Nevermind my bank grouping all my transactions from last week into yesterday! Good riddance! I'm also considering cancelling my debit card and getting an ATM card or switching banks.
For some reason, purchases made with the Target check card are lumped into one monthly draft payment. This is the reason I never got it because you never know when its going to draft.
Mine aren't lumped together. Weren't when I banked with Wells Fargo and not now when I'm with the credit union. It does seem to take about 3 days for them to come out but since I usually deducted them right away it's never been a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back