I don’t care anymore. Next week is my final day at Target. Should I just clock in and walk out?

I’ve been at Target for 4 years and I’m pretty much done with it. I’ve been treated like garbage by everyone. From the GSTL’s to the STL to the ETL’s to the self check out people. I’m pretty much done. I’m leaving for school soon and don’t plan on coming back once I’m on break either. .... On my final day, I’ve decided I’m gonna walk in and clock in, then walk out and go home. Should I do this? Can I legally be in trouble if I do this? Can target withhold my money if I do this? All answers would be appreciated ....
Dude, a lot of us here are NOT 100% "drinking the Koolaid" about Target, but for you to cavalierly claim "I've been treated like garbage by everyone" is very disturbing. You haven't had the pleasure of working in truly dirty or underappreciated jobs such as:
  1. a grease monkey in a quick-lube oil change shop,
  2. a migrant worker picking crops under intense heat and sunlight and with very limited time for harvesting,
  3. a newly-enlisted soldier enduring the incredible and unexpected shock of military basic training (boot camp) in the US armed forces,
  4. a new soldier unexpectedly placed on very short notice into a military combat zone, where you really can feel "treated like garbage",
  5. a custodian (janitor) cleaning up garbage and other dirty things, often with a huge amount of physical stamina cleaning icky things and receiving very little recognition for good work, or
  6. a maid having to clean up all sorts of icky things from motel/hotel guests
Even if you were to eventually get into "good jobs" working in what appears to be a very pleasant environment - be it a technology firm, bank, insurance company, law office, government agency - you'll find times when the crappy behavior of fellow human beings really can break your heart and soul. Target isn't unique in this regard.

As you've worked at Target for 4 years, my suggestion is to finish your time honorably. You don't have to knock yourself out trying to exceed expectations. Just perform the tasks and maybe, just maybe, try surprising the GSTLs, ETLs, TLs, TMs and others by getting some real revenge - killing them with kindness and smiles for your last couple of days at Target. Shocking your co-workers with unexpected joy may make them jealous that you actually get to quit working there while they are still "stuck" at Target! Killing your unfriendly cohorts with kindness is a great way to tell them that you are a much bigger person than they are with their pettiness, and maybe it will leave a positive lasting impression on a few folks as you are "leaving well".

Last edited:
Dude, a lot of us here are NOT 100% "drinking the Koolaid" about Target, but for you to cavalierly claim "I've been treated like garbage by everyone" is very disturbing. You haven't had the pleasure of working in truly dirty or underappreciated jobs such as:
  1. a grease monkey in a quick-lube oil change shop,
  2. a migrant worker picking crops under intense heat and sunlight and with very limited time for harvesting,
  3. a newly-enlisted soldier enduring the incredible and unexpected shock of military basic training (boot camp) in the US armed forces,
  4. a new soldier unexpectedly placed on very short notice into a military combat zone, where you really can feel "treated like garbage",
  5. a custodian (janitor) cleaning up garbage and other dirty things, often with a huge amount of physical stamina cleaning icky things and receiving very little recognition for good work, or
  6. a maid having to clean up all sorts of icky things from motel/hotel guests
Even if you were to eventually get into "good jobs" working in what appears to be a very pleasant environment - be it a technology firm, bank, insurance company, law office, government agency - you'll find times when the crappy behavior of fellow human beings really can break your heart and soul. Target isn't unique in this regard.

As you've worked at Target for 4 years, my suggestion is to finish your time honorably. You don't have to knock yourself out trying to exceed expectations. Just perform the tasks and maybe, just maybe, try surprising the GSTLs, ETLs, TLs, TMs and others by getting some real revenge - killing them with kindness and smiles for your last couple of days at Target. Shocking your co-workers with unexpected joy may make them jealous that you actually get to quit working there while they are still "stuck" at Target! Killing your unfriendly cohorts with kindness is a great way to tell them that you are a much bigger person than they are with their pettiness, and maybe it will leave a positive lasting impression on a few folks as you are "leaving well".

Thought I'd toss on a couple of other jobs to your list just because there are so many of them out there that really suck and so many people just don't have a clue.

1) Working slime line in a fish processing plant. Your are the low man on the totem pole under the belly slitter who opens up the fish and the washers who clean the them up for packing. you pull out guts and egg sacs as fish are passed to you. Better put them in the right buckets or you will get yelled at.
You will smell like fish guts no matter how long you shower and people will go to another aisle in the store to get away from you.

2) Working in an assisted living facility where you can deeply involved in caring for the people there and they die on you. That is a brainfuck that goes above and beyond just about any other job I've had.

Last edited:
I would suggest serving out any 2 week notice to its fullest. You never know if you may need to go back to Target (even if it is a different store).

Please reconsider and serve your full two weeks notice. I understand if things haven't been smooth between yourself and your co-workers but you might need to go back to Target and punching in and leaving is only going to hurt your co-workers in terms of increasing their workload.

C'mon, you know Planosss. Every now and then he develops a fever or just cuddled a kitten or something else mood altering and doesn't include the snark in his replies. I also worry about him when these moments happen but he bounces back to normal within a day or so.
I sure hope so . Kinda miss his normal self 😂

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm just under my 8 year mark. I gave my 2 weeks notice and showed up for every shift I was scheduled. Today was my last day and do you want to know what I did? I showed up, punched in on time, worked like my usual self while smiling and laughing with my coworkers and then clocked out knowing I left the right way. I'll be rehirable if the time ever comes (you don't want to burn bridges, just in case) and I know my work ethic didn't change one bit during the course of my 2 weeks.

Be an adult and do the right thing.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm just under my 8 year mark. I gave my 2 weeks notice and showed up for every shift I was scheduled. Today was my last day and do you want to know what I did? I showed up, punched in on time, worked like my usual self while smiling and laughing with my coworkers and then clocked out knowing I left the right way. I'll be rehirable if the time ever comes (you don't want to burn bridges, just in case) and I know my work ethic didn't change one bit during the course of my 2 weeks.

Be an adult and do the right thing.
Good Luck!

Back