I hate my new TL, and everyone's in the same boat.

Hi there, I don't post here often so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I just want some advice.
My store got a new TL for my section (+ a few others included) a few months ago. They seemed really high strung and too uppity, like they were trying too hard to be nice to everyone. However, they're VERY young, with no large department store experience, I figured it would calm down after a few weeks, because it just seemed like their personality. They asked for my and everyone in their sections phone numbers their first day (HR has since gotten onto them, but they continued texting me and my coworkers about/not about work...HR personally pulled me aside and asked how often they texted me and what about.) I've come to the decision that they're just, extremely dumb (to put it frankly, I really cant think of any nice way to say this.) They've been slowly getting on everyone's nerves, as they seem to just keep getting more and more eccentric and annoying. Their first few weeks, they called me and another TM three times in one day (once to ask if we would come in that day, another to ask if we would stay late the next day, and once more to see if we would work two days out). It's gotten better but previously if we would decline staying later than our scheduled shift they would try to bargain with us by saying like "just another hour". If we agreed, they'd ask us to stay even later ie "how about you stay until 9? (when we agreed to staying until 7)". Most of these behaviors have calmed down, though not by much.
They are also incredibly overbearing. They'll hover over us, make us walk all around the store with them, tell us that we need to do basic work duties even if we're already working on them, and overall being incredibly annoying. My section doesn't have it as bad as one of their other sections that they're over. I know they messed up their backstock numbers completely, among other things, and has caused two people to leave that section for another one permanently.
Recently what has gotten on my nerves the most is when I was scheduled for another section for the day, they were there. I was in the middle of my 15 and returning to the breakroom from getting food, and they stopped me in TSE to talk about work. I said, "I'll get back with you when I'm off my 15." They acted really offended, rolled their eyes and continued talking about work anyways. I caved and just told them what they were asking. Cue end of conversation, they very condescendingly say "well, enjoy your little break :/"...
Another instance is when they pulled me aside from working to involve myself with their personal biohazard, though they didn't make me touch anything, they just asked me to watch. I don't really want to put any more information out than that in case they find this thread.
A few TM's and I have talked about it and I can confidently say no one likes them. We feel as if if we were to turn down their advances of friendship, then we'll be retaliated against in the workplace (maybe not on purpose, but still.) Ever since I stopped 'matching their energy' and trying to be super excited like they are, they act super sad like I don't like them anymore. It doesn't feel like a professional environment.
Outside of work, I know they're incredibly irresponsible (ie... spending over 2 grand on something that they couldn't take care of, so they had to return it and didn't get their money back.) Although, I'm trying not to let this knowledge make me more biased than I already am.
They make me not want to go to work. I want to call out every day that I know they're there. They're incredibly condescending, dumb, and don't know what they're doing. They had no large retail experience prior to this job.

I guess I just wanted to rant, I don't think there's any advice to give. I don't want to complain to HR because on paper it looks like they're doing good, and I really would hate to jeopardize someone's job. I love my department and my fellow TM's around me, but I know they all feel the same way. I genuinely can't stand them. I'm dreading going into work tomorrow because I know I'm going to have to spend time around them.

Shoutout to anyone who read all of that :')). I'm just frustrated!!!!!

Yikes and Gadzooks!

My guess is that leadership knows that there are issues with this person. Problem is, the wheels of justice turn oh-so-very slowly in Targetland. Being an overbearing or just plain dumb boss is one thing, but to insist on being one's "friend" is something else - very unprofessional. I have a personal bias against this type of personality, as I'm not much of a "friend" person and I really don't want to stand around chatting and laughing it up at work - I got shit to do. This makes me sound like I'm miserable to be around, and I'm really not, lol. I smile and laugh as much as the next person, I just don't need to hear your life story or jabber for more than a minute or two. But I digress...

I hope things get better - I've outlasted many awful managers in my working life, hopefully this one will be moving on or mature enough to be a better boss. Good luck!

Hey I jave had three of those this year! Didnt last tbh just keep your nose down. HR clearly already knows they are doung off the clock stuff with tms which spot is pretty strict on being a nono. They will either get the can for off the clock shennaigans or quit because thry keep getting sniped at. Sadly alk you can really do is tell hr about the off the click stuff but be careful cause that can swing back on you depedning on your atore and management. Those types are annoying as hell but honestly shoot themself in the foot and leave soon enough.
That whole getting phone numbers things seems to run rampant in smallwr store not target and walmart tbh. My second job is a specialty store and i get random texts abalut work i just delete. Idk why people think thats ok 🙄

I suggest you talk to them about it. Honestly as a team lead they should be able to take the feedback.

Nobody likes confrontation but direct is always best. Be firm with your complaints and don't say stuff like "everyone feels..." or "I've heard from a lot of people..." instead stick to what you feel and have experienced and listen to them in turn.

Then tell another team leader or HR about your experience with the conversation so you are protected from any retaliation, even if the convo goes well.

I suggest you talk to them about it. Honestly as a team lead they should be able to take the feedback.
they did this a few weeks after they started, with every TM theyre over. nothings seemed to really change since then, unfortunately i think its just their personality. like i said they're incredibly young and honestly were not prepared for the job at all. i will consider talking to them again if i see no changes. personally im just doing my best to avoid them right now haha...
edit: as mentioned im also afraid of retaliation. and i feel like it would be a problem if i were to directly talk to them about it. so for the moment that idea is off the table. that could change in the future, though.

I’ve out lasted most. I do my job, keep my head down and OUT of all gossip and out of work shenanigans. I wouldn’t confront, I wouldn’t complain, I wouldn’t rat out, I wouldn’t even try to make it better. Punch in, do your work, take your breaks in peace, don’t make friends, steer clear as much as possible.

“They”
Are these new TLs like a cohesive organism? Like a smack of jellyfish, or a school or fish, or like a murder of crows?
Are they always together? Like every interaction you described, you said they, as in more than one TL in the same spot, in the other department “they were there”
At TSC “they were asking you questions”, “they asked you to stay late””they have no retail experience”
I don’t want to cause panic, but it seems as though your store has been infiltrated by a non-human-life form.
Your accounts of interaction with “them” and how “they” seem to be everywhere at once, all the time. Asking similar, redundant, repetitive questions. Only points to some sort of new parasite. Or an alien life form. Any who, keep reporting and be very aware of your surroundings.

Start doing a punch correction every time they text you. It'll get sorted pretty quickly.
Exactly. Anything work related, (other than your scheduling) keep the texts and put in a time correction punch for 15 minutes. If, for some unbelievable reason there are enough exchanges that it goes past 15 minutes, put in a correction for another 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, Spot doesn’t like terming anyone, especially Leaders, during Q4. However, it can happen. So, you are probably looking at the middle of Q1 until they are gone. Keep your head down, work hard, and hang in there until then. Good luck and keep us posted.

“They”
Are these new TLs like a cohesive organism? Like a smack of jellyfish, or a school or fish, or like a murder of crows?
Are they always together? Like every interaction you described, you said they, as in more than one TL in the same spot, in the other department “they were there”
At TSC “they were asking you questions”, “they asked you to stay late””they have no retail experience”
I don’t want to cause panic, but it seems as though your store has been infiltrated by a non-human-life form.
Your accounts of interaction with “them” and how “they” seem to be everywhere at once, all the time. Asking similar, redundant, repetitive questions. Only points to some sort of new parasite. Or an alien life form. Any who, keep reporting and be very aware of your surroundings.
Maybe they are non-binary. Or the OP doesn't want to specify gender for anonymity.

“They”

Maybe they are non-binary. Or the OP doesn't want to specify gender for anonymity.

I was avoiding gendering for anonymity :). I was hoping it wouldn’t get confusing but it might’ve been a little bit! sorry!
I always use "they" to not specify gender.

Echoing what others have said about staying firm and documenting. We're currently - "currently", they've been at our store for a few years and they're just the worst - dealing with a problem TL at my store. I've basically been frogmarching TMs to the SD's office every time they've mentioned an issue with this TL so we can get the incidents documented. It takes a lot to take down a TL. The complaints need to be actionable - being a "bad boss" isn't actionable, and having a bad personality isn't a fireable offense. For instance, being strict isn't an incident, but yelling at a TM is. Asking you to stay late is just annoying, but trying to get you to work off the clock is actionable (like talking about work while you're on break, or texting you about work - apart from asking you to come in - while you're at home). HR/your SD needs numerous, separate incidents in order to really do something about this TL. Bring them everything actionable (or just everything if you're not sure, honestly) and bring it to them when it happens.

Oh, and be straightforward about what you're reporting. The TLs trying to help you are probably very aware of this TL's behavior and have probably listened to a lot of complaints about things they can't use as evidence. Part of me frogmarching TMs in to document stuff (with their permission, obviously, making sure they're comfortable doing it and making sure they know they have my support) is because I've realized without me there to direct the conversation and make the SD listen, the TM will lead with general complaints, so the SD just dismisses it as something inactionable they've heard before - until I push the conversation PAST the general complaints into the actual incident. If the problem TL tries to talk to you about work during your break, politely but firmly establish that boundary with the TL, wait until your break is over, go right to the SD's office, or the HR office, ask if they have a moment to speak alone, close the door, and just say "Problem-TL tried to speak to me about work off the clock, again. I was on my fifteen in the breakroom and they (whatever they did)." If the SD has spoken to them about not doing something - and I'm sure they have - every time they do that thing again, it's an actionable incident. Will it be exhausting to report every single time something happens? Yes. Is it the only way to see change? Yes.

quick edit: A good(?) rule of thumb for telling the difference between actionable behavior and just your TL being a bad boss - if "you had to be there" to get how bad it was, it's probably not actionable. Rolling eyes, tone of voice, scoffing... unfortunately, that's just being a bad boss. The kind of stuff you want to report is what they do, not how they do it.

Last edited:
Hi there, I don't post here often so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I just want some advice.
My store got a new TL for my section (+ a few others included) a few months ago. They seemed really high strung and too uppity, like they were trying too hard to be nice to everyone. However, they're VERY young, with no large department store experience, I figured it would calm down after a few weeks, because it just seemed like their personality. They asked for my and everyone in their sections phone numbers their first day (HR has since gotten onto them, but they continued texting me and my coworkers about/not about work...HR personally pulled me aside and asked how often they texted me and what about.) I've come to the decision that they're just, extremely dumb (to put it frankly, I really cant think of any nice way to say this.) They've been slowly getting on everyone's nerves, as they seem to just keep getting more and more eccentric and annoying. Their first few weeks, they called me and another TM three times in one day (once to ask if we would come in that day, another to ask if we would stay late the next day, and once more to see if we would work two days out). It's gotten better but previously if we would decline staying later than our scheduled shift they would try to bargain with us by saying like "just another hour". If we agreed, they'd ask us to stay even later ie "how about you stay until 9? (when we agreed to staying until 7)". Most of these behaviors have calmed down, though not by much.
They are also incredibly overbearing. They'll hover over us, make us walk all around the store with them, tell us that we need to do basic work duties even if we're already working on them, and overall being incredibly annoying. My section doesn't have it as bad as one of their other sections that they're over. I know they messed up their backstock numbers completely, among other things, and has caused two people to leave that section for another one permanently.
Recently what has gotten on my nerves the most is when I was scheduled for another section for the day, they were there. I was in the middle of my 15 and returning to the breakroom from getting food, and they stopped me in TSE to talk about work. I said, "I'll get back with you when I'm off my 15." They acted really offended, rolled their eyes and continued talking about work anyways. I caved and just told them what they were asking. Cue end of conversation, they very condescendingly say "well, enjoy your little break :/"...
Another instance is when they pulled me aside from working to involve myself with their personal biohazard, though they didn't make me touch anything, they just asked me to watch. I don't really want to put any more information out than that in case they find this thread.
A few TM's and I have talked about it and I can confidently say no one likes them. We feel as if if we were to turn down their advances of friendship, then we'll be retaliated against in the workplace (maybe not on purpose, but still.) Ever since I stopped 'matching their energy' and trying to be super excited like they are, they act super sad like I don't like them anymore. It doesn't feel like a professional environment.
Outside of work, I know they're incredibly irresponsible (ie... spending over 2 grand on something that they couldn't take care of, so they had to return it and didn't get their money back.) Although, I'm trying not to let this knowledge make me more biased than I already am.
They make me not want to go to work. I want to call out every day that I know they're there. They're incredibly condescending, dumb, and don't know what they're doing. They had no large retail experience prior to this job.

I guess I just wanted to rant, I don't think there's any advice to give. I don't want to complain to HR because on paper it looks like they're doing good, and I really would hate to jeopardize someone's job. I love my department and my fellow TM's around me, but I know they all feel the same way. I genuinely can't stand them. I'm dreading going into work tomorrow because I know I'm going to have to spend time around them.

Shoutout to anyone who read all of that :')). I'm just frustrated!!!!!
Document what you can, Basically don’t let them win if they are a problem. A lot of Target Managers thanks to the bs culture of the company, There’s a lot of bias.

A few suggestions.

First, if a lead interrupts your break, politely say "It is against company policy to do any work while off the clock or on a paid break. My paid break ends at (specific time) or I clock in/back in at (specific time)." Also, politely say "It is against company policy to ask someone to work off the clock or on a paid break."

You may want to choose when you respond this way. If a lead asks you who you gave a set of keys to or who is covering your break and the answer is a one word, you may just want to answer quickly.

Second, if you do not want to work on your day off or stay later than your scheduled shift, politely say "I am sorry but I have a personal commitment or appointment that day or after work." Don't just say no, say no with a reason. If the lead thinks you a just going to be at home watching TV, they will keep pushing. If the lead knows you have a commitment or appointment, they should stop.

Third, just do your job and keep your head down. Also, keep your answers as short as possible.

There are leads in my store that I do not like. I avoid them when possible and keep my answers as short as possible. If they greet me when I arrive by asking me how I am doing, my answer is "Fine". I do not ask how they are doing because I do not want to have a conversation with them and I also do not care.

Second, if you do not want to work on your day off or stay later than your scheduled shift, politely say "I am sorry but I have a personal commitment or appointment that day or after work." Don't just say no, say no with a reason. If the lead thinks you a just going to be at home watching TV, they will keep pushing. If the lead knows you have a commitment or appointment, they should stop.

And that commitment could be a commitment to channel surf after work. They won't know the nature of the commitment.

Thanks for asking but I have a prior commitment, some other time of course. Quick and easy. I always stayed, easy money and I'm quite boring anyway. Zoning was cool, kind of artistic.

Our original group of TL's and ETL's frequently asked some of us if we would like to help out and stay later. Almost all of us did, we all got along well plus there was always a free lunch in the break room waiting for us. Myself and one other guy often wound up in the back room cleaning up, doing a little back stocking and cranking out bales. No Karens back there thankfully.

Back