Archived I know regular, overtime, hol premium, SHF $1.00, and even Exp Reimb, but this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most recent pay stub has a line that says Cashprize and a small (nothing super substantial, but more than I make in an hour) amount of money. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm currently just a team member in the system. Not complaining, but would like to know what it is for?

I get top performer quite often. But we always get gift cards or candy.. I've already gotten my gift cards for my two most recent top performers.

Any prize over $25 or gift card of any amount is supposed to be entered in MAX so it can be taxed appropriately.

Gift card, though? Any gift card, regardless of the amount is supposed to be entered into MAX so it can be taxed.

I had never heard of this until I was helping our STL with the most recent store compliance assessment.

But I received extra money in my pay. As well as I always get my gift cards (at least 9 times for top performer) and I've never seen it. This is target, I know they wouldn't reward me twice. ;)

They aren't giving you EXTRA money, just DOCUMENTING the money you have been given in prizes, sorry for the confusion!

I just picked up my stub today and have a cash prize for $2.77 on there. Strange thing.. I do not accept redcard prizes. So what exactly is this amount I'm paying tax for, but never received?? I know it's less than 3 bucks but I'm working to make money, not to pay taxes on money I never made. WTH?!

huh, maybe I should look at my paystubs. - I think I have opened 2 or 3 of them in the few years I have been there. I have never heard of anyone in our store getting "cashprize" on pay stub - and they would be talking about it if it ever happened. Our store will never give out gift cards either - You have to pick out some kind of merchandise in the store for up to a certain amount then it is req'd out. I always pick groceries.

^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Gift card, though? Any gift card, regardless of the amount is supposed to be entered into MAX so it can be taxed.

This seems kind of bullshit. I'd rather not get a giftcard to target than get one and have to pay more income tax as if it was earned wages. That's like them giving you $1.00 to spend at target, but then charging you $0.30 at the end of the year, so it's less money you have to spend elsewhere.

Have you actually tried asking HR? They might, you know, actually know their job and give you a simple answer, lol! Slim, but worth a try. ;)

I asked and didn't understand the answer. When I tried to explain I did not understand the answer, it just upset the HR so I dropped it. Any more of that crap though and we will revisit.

It could be that the HR in your store had not been reporting the gifts, or prizes. Sometimes when they do self assessments they realize that there are procedures they are not following correctly and then implement them. All gift cards need to be reported as income. They will tax those gift cards accordingly. Any prizes with a value of $25 or more (I may be off on the current amount) also need to be reported as income. When team members receive anniversary gift cards those are taxed as well.

I remember one year when overnight was Target's key focus we gave away gift cards like crazy overnight. I think we had something like a $300-400 a week budget to get the team food and prizes. I remember our HR manager ETL yelling at us because we didn't document who we gave them to as she was supposed to report that on their paychecks for tax purposes.

If they started taking 10$ from everyone who didn't meet the base expectations instead of rewarding the one who does what the most of what they're asked to do every month, I bet we could filter out a lot of time cLock suckers[/if only I were in charge]

Edit: who am I kidding, they wouldn't even complain, they'd just call it the lazy tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back