Archived I left, without any notice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackNinja1024

Lvl. 99 Ninja
Firstly, I am definitely not the type of person to quit via NC/NS. It's stupid to burn bridges and it shows immaturity, but listen to my story and maybe you can understand why I quit so abruptly.

I worked for spot for a little over a year. When I was hired for Sales Floor, I was thrilled when HR told me they want me in electronics. I knew electronics, I was comfortable here. I liked my coworkers and TL. Shortly after starting I was already showing promise with AAR and survey scores. After I settled in, I was almost always green in AAR, my YTD before I quit was in the 90% area. This was because we had agreements with resellers who would buy 10 - 15 ipads with 2 - 3 Itunes cards each, or else we'd limit them to one. Simple and effective way to boost our AAR, though possibly unethical, wasn't much of a concern to me since TL to STL knew what we were doing. My survey scores were top notch as its just my personality to be nice and respectful to everyone I meet. I often got letters from ETLs for being Awesome, received requisitions from TL for a little drawing we have for electronics attachments. I even had decent conversion for a satellite register. My overall experience with my position was positive, but I don't see guest help/ sales as my strong points and I was striving for more.

When I started with spot, I asked HR if there were opportunities to get into other departments in the future and how promotions work. I was told that cross training is encouraged, and too definitely speak with them once I'm totally comfortable with electronics. After my 90 days it was obvious that I was a hard working employee and I had never had a single complaint against me, so I thought to ask for cross training. At this point I knew how to handle MMB new release planogram stuff, and that dept. interested me the most since its more task oriented, less sales/service oriented. I asked to be trained in Plano, but was told the Sr.TL for instocks was on vacation, but that they could give me market shifts, I said ok.

I did the occasional market shift a week, but found it extremely boring since I was practically just pushing Pfresh all morning. That went on for a few weeks, till I was only doing electronics again a couple months down the road. I never complained about market, I did my job well, and was never told differently. I figure they put me exclusively in electronics because there are only a couple of us who are consistently green in AAR and actually know stuff about electronics.

A month or two after previously asking, I asked for cross training in plano again. They told me there weren't enough hours for training, and that plano wouldn't have any opening soon either. I told them that if anything comes up that I would be very interested and to please let me know.

Some time later our store hires a young couple around my age. The dude gets sent to carts, and the girl is sent to electronics. A month after they are hired our signing guy is leaving and holiday season is approaching. I had no idea signing was leaving and would have been very interested in the position had I known.

No one ever tells me about the opening, and while I don't see that as their responsibility it would have been nice since HR definitely knew I wanted more. Somehow the new carts guy gets the signing position after only being with the company for a month, and no real relevant experience. Within the month I've become acquainted with the couple and they're both great, the dude is smart and definitely capable of the job, but so was I, and I had seniority. The girl also manages to snag a TSC seasonal opening.

I'm not sure if my TL had anything to do with me not leaving electronics, because while I like my TL, he was very controlling and since I was doing good, Im sure he didn't want me to leave electronics. I'm not sure if the couple had any circumstances that they told HR and that maybe influenced the decision on both of their new positions. Either way I was disappointing but not nearly enough to quit.

Fast forward to last month. I'm practically doing my TL's job because for some weird reason our store is moving people around and my Elec + Toys TL was taking over one section of blue world, while the cosmetics TL was taking the other section, but then the cosmetics TL was so tied up in other things that my TL was doing her workload. I was pretty much doing the toys and sporting goods sales planners for weeks, while still being a electronics tm, helping guests, getting attachments, and with a smile of course.

I was actually kind of happy about the situation even though I was working my butt off. I figured I'm getting groomed for a promotion, but wasn't even sure if TM are allowed to be promoted to TL at the same store. Either way, it looks good on me, and I never had a problem pushing myself.

A couple week ago my TL tells me hes getting promoted to Sr.TL, I was happy for him. Except for on little problem. HR hired a person from another store who got promoted into this position. I interviewed for the position and the interview was cake, so what was left was just formalities I thought. The new TL's first day was a huge slap to the face. As I was getting familiar with the person, it was apparent that I knew much more about their job than they did. The last straw was when the person told me that they knew the chick that worked at TSC. Im guessing the girl knew my HR or someone at my store before they moved to my state.

I'm not going to assume anything here, but it sure looks like my store prefers certain people over others solely based on their network rather than talents. I waited a year for some hope of advancement and I felt pretty betrayed for all the hard work I put in during the year, and I know that if I had waited more I may have been promoted still, but I just don't think whats happened is at all fair. Life isnt fair, I know, trust me, thats why I left.

As much as I value being a good person and not stooping to anyone's level, I was simply disgusted by the decisions made by my HR, and I felt used. Im sorry to the people that have more work now, but it isn't that bad as I've been running half the sales floor from electronics on several occasions, and you can only do what you can, so no need for us to be stressed by no shows. I applied for a job at a company that would pay me 2 more dollars per hour plus benefits and tuition reimbursement. That same day they called back for the interview and I'm starting there on Wed. Full time, set schedule, 4, 1o hour shifts. sun mon and tue off.

I regret NC/NS to quit, because it makes me feel like a bad person, and I don't really have a great excuse for it besides that it mirrors their lack of regard for my situation. More than the company and most managers, I really regret not properly saying goodbye to all the great people I've met there, including a couple managers.

Thanks. Im feeling lucky with the way this new job fell into my lap perfectly at this time. Im just staying positive and prepared to work my butt off once again.

I wouldn't feel guilty for the way you chose to quit. You made a choice that you feel was best for you. This doesn't make you a bad person and or sorry team member. Hell, you did what most of us wish we could do. So, I have to commend you for taking yourself out of a situation...that wasn't making you happy etc. So, many people would had just gotten bitter and stayed with Spot and complained about it day in and day out. Spot is great at dangling carrots in front of people...then just when its in reach they yank it away...they do this quite often. There was a time that moving up in the ranks at Spot was largely ( largely not solely) based on how you worked and treated others....sad to say but that went by the wayside along with a lot of other things. Lastly, congrats on your new job...it sounds like Spot lost a great team member in you. Good luck with things !

You moved on.
It wasn't the best way to do it and you're right the people immediately around you may have suffered a bit but not that long.
It does sound like the management had you pegged as 'the electronics guy' and would have kept you there.
That is one of the drawbacks to being good at a job and not being great at smoozing.
Find a job where they promote on merit and learn from this one.
My brother likes to say that we rarely learn as much from the good jobs as we do from the crappy ones.
I have to say I've had one hell of an education over the years.
Now you've had a start on yours.

Last edited:
Always have to warn people about this: in retail, being too good at your job is a bad thing. You were too good at Electronics to promote out of it, because that meant they'd have to find someone to replace you. It would be far easier for management to say "screw you" and never promote you than it would be to move you out and find someone to take your place.

f9e145851f504236394f217423ad71edcbce57d2744f976a96cb07bb4507bc1a.jpg

Was thinking about spot during the holidays and came here to lurk a little. Just a little update for you guys.

When I started at this company (Express Scripts, actually rated one of the worst companies to work for lol but I dont see that) I started in the warehouse as a regular associate. Within my 90 day probationary period I was promoted to a Senior (midway to lead) position with a 5 percent raise. I had also been going in on my days off sun mon and tue to get overtime and doubletime which more than doubled my weekly paycheck. On those weeks I made more in one week than I would in two weeks with spot(crap hours) and my pay is only 3 dollars more per hour than it was with spot. Add in a 401k match, stock discounts, and a mediocre health plan and I actually feel like im making progress with life and closer to getting a new car so I can finish my education.

Recently I had signed up for a specialized pharmacy tech position that deals with researching patient orders that have issues preventing them from being filled, and taking the necessary actions required to ship the order ASAP. This requires circumventing the automated proccesses of the pharmacy and is exciting because it requires a knowledge of almost all the proccesses in all operations depts. I had signed up along with several regular technicians, and had good hopes but felt a lot of people may have been more qualified seeing as how they are already techs and if I was to accept the position I would need to get certified. Interview went well and as I had planned worked my ass off in that warehouse.

The warehouse was easy. Almost too easy and I was happy with the position but it was getting boring. It was a bit physically demanding since you are walking around the whole place moving drugs, but that was never an issue to me. Also had some leads that had no work ethic and near the end of these 8 months I am confident in saying I understood the system better than them and could do things they couldnt simply because they never had the desire to learn. So its not all rainbows and sunshine at the new place but nothing like an angry guest.

Just last week my supervisor offered me the specialized pharm tech position. I have 180 days to get certified but still can work the job. Pays a dollar higher than the Sr. Warehouse position plus ill be due for a raise in march thanks to the union (mixed feelings)In march Ill end up making about 5 more per hour than I did with spot plus benefits and all the OT you can ask for. Its also a desk job on a computer with minimal walking so thats a nice change from being a warehouse grunt. Tomorrow is my first day of training and im so excited and ready to do something new.

Dont mean to gloat just keeping you guys up to date and hopefully inspiring people to stay motivated. Hard work will pay off you just cant give up. Another thing, never sell yourself short apply for things outside of your qualifications if you are willing to learn. You never know what you might miss.

Firstly, I am definitely not the type of person to quit via NC/NS. It's stupid to burn bridges and it shows immaturity, but listen to my story and maybe you can understand why I quit so abruptly.

I worked for spot for a little over a year. When I was hired for Sales Floor, I was thrilled when HR told me they want me in electronics. I knew electronics, I was comfortable here. I liked my coworkers and TL. Shortly after starting I was already showing promise with AAR and survey scores. After I settled in, I was almost always green in AAR, my YTD before I quit was in the 90% area. This was because we had agreements with resellers who would buy 10 - 15 ipads with 2 - 3 Itunes cards each, or else we'd limit them to one. Simple and effective way to boost our AAR, though possibly unethical, wasn't much of a concern to me since TL to STL knew what we were doing. My survey scores were top notch as its just my personality to be nice and respectful to everyone I meet. I often got letters from ETLs for being Awesome, received requisitions from TL for a little drawing we have for electronics attachments. I even had decent conversion for a satellite register. My overall experience with my position was positive, but I don't see guest help/ sales as my strong points and I was striving for more.

When I started with spot, I asked HR if there were opportunities to get into other departments in the future and how promotions work. I was told that cross training is encouraged, and too definitely speak with them once I'm totally comfortable with electronics. After my 90 days it was obvious that I was a hard working employee and I had never had a single complaint against me, so I thought to ask for cross training. At this point I knew how to handle MMB new release planogram stuff, and that dept. interested me the most since its more task oriented, less sales/service oriented. I asked to be trained in Plano, but was told the Sr.TL for instocks was on vacation, but that they could give me market shifts, I said ok.

I did the occasional market shift a week, but found it extremely boring since I was practically just pushing Pfresh all morning. That went on for a few weeks, till I was only doing electronics again a couple months down the road. I never complained about market, I did my job well, and was never told differently. I figure they put me exclusively in electronics because there are only a couple of us who are consistently green in AAR and actually know stuff about electronics.

A month or two after previously asking, I asked for cross training in plano again. They told me there weren't enough hours for training, and that plano wouldn't have any opening soon either. I told them that if anything comes up that I would be very interested and to please let me know.

Some time later our store hires a young couple around my age. The dude gets sent to carts, and the girl is sent to electronics. A month after they are hired our signing guy is leaving and holiday season is approaching. I had no idea signing was leaving and would have been very interested in the position had I known.

No one ever tells me about the opening, and while I don't see that as their responsibility it would have been nice since HR definitely knew I wanted more. Somehow the new carts guy gets the signing position after only being with the company for a month, and no real relevant experience. Within the month I've become acquainted with the couple and they're both great, the dude is smart and definitely capable of the job, but so was I, and I had seniority. The girl also manages to snag a TSC seasonal opening.

I'm not sure if my TL had anything to do with me not leaving electronics, because while I like my TL, he was very controlling and since I was doing good, Im sure he didn't want me to leave electronics. I'm not sure if the couple had any circumstances that they told HR and that maybe influenced the decision on both of their new positions. Either way I was disappointing but not nearly enough to quit.

Fast forward to last month. I'm practically doing my TL's job because for some weird reason our store is moving people around and my Elec + Toys TL was taking over one section of blue world, while the cosmetics TL was taking the other section, but then the cosmetics TL was so tied up in other things that my TL was doing her workload. I was pretty much doing the toys and sporting goods sales planners for weeks, while still being a electronics tm, helping guests, getting attachments, and with a smile of course.

I was actually kind of happy about the situation even though I was working my butt off. I figured I'm getting groomed for a promotion, but wasn't even sure if TM are allowed to be promoted to TL at the same store. Either way, it looks good on me, and I never had a problem pushing myself.

A couple week ago my TL tells me hes getting promoted to Sr.TL, I was happy for him. Except for on little problem. HR hired a person from another store who got promoted into this position. I interviewed for the position and the interview was cake, so what was left was just formalities I thought. The new TL's first day was a huge slap to the face. As I was getting familiar with the person, it was apparent that I knew much more about their job than they did. The last straw was when the person told me that they knew the chick that worked at TSC. Im guessing the girl knew my HR or someone at my store before they moved to my state.

I'm not going to assume anything here, but it sure looks like my store prefers certain people over others solely based on their network rather than talents. I waited a year for some hope of advancement and I felt pretty betrayed for all the hard work I put in during the year, and I know that if I had waited more I may have been promoted still, but I just don't think whats happened is at all fair. Life isnt fair, I know, trust me, thats why I left.

As much as I value being a good person and not stooping to anyone's level, I was simply disgusted by the decisions made by my HR, and I felt used. Im sorry to the people that have more work now, but it isn't that bad as I've been running half the sales floor from electronics on several occasions, and you can only do what you can, so no need for us to be stressed by no shows. I applied for a job at a company that would pay me 2 more dollars per hour plus benefits and tuition reimbursement. That same day they called back for the interview and I'm starting there on Wed. Full time, set schedule, 4, 1o hour shifts. sun mon and tue off.

I regret NC/NS to quit, because it makes me feel like a bad person, and I don't really have a great excuse for it besides that it mirrors their lack of regard for my situation. More than the company and most managers, I really regret not properly saying goodbye to all the great people I've met there, including a couple managers.
I know how you feel! I left for similar reasons. It was mostly because I felt I got lied to many times and was never given a fair chance for promotions. I am SOOOO tempted to write my old store number here.... but I will not. You also need to be "liked" by the ETL you interview with. I don't begrudge anyone their success but I just want to be given a fair chance and not given the interview so the ETL has an opportunity to wring me out. Good luck to you! I am happy you got out! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back