I might become a TL

So can anyone give me insight on what to expect during and after Team Lead interviews are done? Long story short I’m in development and I have my first interview in March. I’ve been prepping questions for the last few months and I’m ready to not be a TM anymore. So how long from the interview if I pass, will I wait to get my position? And if I pass interviews will I immediately become a TL or is there another process. Any insight would be helpful.

Good luck, keep on them about getting your interview, they like to promise a lot of things and things just "come up". Hopefully they have something available for you and thats why they are waiting till march. Long story shirt it took me far too long to get my position and no one should have to deal with what i had to deal with to get this position.

One thing you could think about is to take the leader position, but have a plan for bailing.
Learn everything you can but always have a timeline.
As long as you know when you will be leaving and have made plans accordingly, you will be able to do a great job because they will never be able to get under your skin.
Keep track of what you are learning how to do and add it to your resume.
Look for jobs similar to what you are learning or find something completely different if you discover you really hate it.
But as long as you have that plan you won't be feel trapped or frustrated.

One thing you could think about is to take the leader position, but have a plan for bailing.
Learn everything you can but always have a timeline.
As long as you know when you will be leaving and have made plans accordingly, you will be able to do a great job because they will never be able to get under your skin.
Keep track of what you are learning how to do and add it to your resume.
Look for jobs similar to what you are learning or find something completely different if you discover you really hate it.
But as long as you have that plan you won't be feel trapped or frustrated.
This was roughly my approach. I knew the timeframe of when we would hire a new SETL within a month or so, and I started putting out feelers and getting job leads. As my interview for the promotion approached, I talked to my ETL and told them where I stood, that it was time for me to progress and I'd love to stay with Target if possible. You have to have a good relationship to pull this off, but if you don't already have that relationship, it's logical to assume that you're not likely to be in the running for the position anyway.

By the time the interview came, I was free to feel confident because I knew other opportunities were available and how to take them. It turns out that I love the SETL job and am willing to be a little underpaid compared to what I could make doing things besides frontline retail. Plus, I still have those leads and am building skills that will serve me if I stop loving the job. And at the end of it, a good relationship with management and bridges firmly intact. (a.k.a. finally doing it right)

It would suck to be the one in development when "development" means that they like you but you have a long ways to go. It's kind of like the corporate version of friendzoning.

Opportunity, Right place right time, NEED.

Sounds like you are targeted to fill when need arises.
I’ve seen a need filled by a person NOT qualified and seen a qualified person ride the bench.
Then there is always the person that truly isn’t ready - even though there is an opening - sometimes they still won’t take the chance.

Your best bet: hope there is an opening and be as ready as you can be for it. Do not refuse the first offer - even if you don’t like it, people move But are usually not offered twice. Take what is offered and do well enough that you can ask for what you really want later.

On the tl bench with a carrot dangling

If they want to make you a TL they need to say WHEN and WHERE you start in a formal WRITTEN offer.

If they don't do that they obviously don't have an opening so they are wasting everyone's time.

Target's "on the bench" makes no sense to me because you go never to do this to an outside hire.

Back