Archived I need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently a GSA at my store, but this morning it was brought up to me by my ETL-HR (and several other TL's) that the Team Lead position in Food Ave. is opening.

Now I want to promote, I've been wanting to be a team lead for the past 2 years. Got promoted to GSA last May and feel like I finally got the hang of that after moving there from Electronics. Now I've not worked Food Ave. before, I've done everything else in the store except Starbucks, Food Ave., and Pharmacy. So I'm looking for pro's and con's. Can anyone help me out? Is it even worth applying?

Wow. I just saw your previous post and thought for sure you meant you were hired on as a TL. I'm sorry to hear about your situation!

Response to this specific post: I've never worked over there, but I've heard that it's a good place to go unnoticed. So that may be a con, if you're looking to shoot up the ladder.

Wow. I just saw your previous post and thought for sure you meant you were hired on as a TL. I'm sorry to hear about your situation!

Response to this specific post: I've never worked over there, but I've heard that it's a good place to go unnoticed. So that may be a con, if you're looking to shoot up the ladder.

Yeah no I wasn't a TL when I got hired, but like many college students upon graduation I found myself desperate for a job. Lo and behold Target hired me and that's where I've been since lol.

I appreciate your honesty about the going unnoticed part. Our food ave's been without a TL since June of last year so their scores are hard core red. Since every place I've been to the score have gone to green I think that's why they want me to apply. But obviously it's food service, not exactly the greatest place in the store ya know?

It's a great place to learn to run a business, so to speak. Learn Starbucks too. You will be running a team, ordering stuff, quality control for food to guests. Drive sales!
Hey red, need some help here. She is the in house food mistress.

This will be one of the most difficult to get to green because, although best practices there go hand-in-hand with health laws, you'll have to change the culture.
If it's like our store, all our TMs are cross-trained in BOTH areas. It provides better coverage with a small team & the opp for TMs to pick up shifts more readily.
You'll need to learn your sales flow so you can order adequately w/o winding up with tons of overstock. You'll be getting your state's food handler's license (good for 2 yrs & spot pays for the test & certificate) & going through inspections by Steritech, your city's health dept & occasionally Johnson-Diversy.
If you turn your FA around, it will def be a win BUT....you could also find yourself stuck there for an indeterminate time. As others have said, it CAN be a black hole.

Our poor FATL has been trying to get out for the LONGEST time. Every time a TL position opens she's the first to apply. Even at other stores! It's a great position to have if you've never been a TL, but the workcenter is so secluded that you could be forgotten. If you have no intention of moving further within the company any time soon, then go for it. If you can get the entire workcenter up to green from the hard core red it's been in, then I'm sure they'll go crazy for you. But just realize that you'll eventually be held accountable for those reds if you aren't able to get them up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back