Archived I want to quit so badly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm literally at my wits end but my fiancé won't let me quit:( He jokes and makes snides comments like when you win the lottery you can quit. I'm actively looking for jobs right now but no one has called me yet. I'm almost getting to the point where I wish they would just fire me that way I could really be let go for good and I could quit. I have normally gotten through the good and bad days but now it's just really gotten to me. What should I do? My fiancé won't let me quit and I keep crying :(

Well I would first ask why are you so unhappy with your job. Is it the people there? Is it because your fiancee makes you work there? He sounds like a jerk but I dont want to jump to conclusions. What does he do for work? Is he bringing in money too? Do you guys have children?

Target is one of those places that your heart has to be in it. If you find nothing redeeming about working here it is within your right to go.

He works too but he comes from a family where no one ever quits ever his dad owned a family business so basically my fiancé started working at a very very early age and his dad drilled the whole no one quits here. I honestly loved working at target but lately it has become worse and you can see it with everyone else quitting sales floor team members etc.. I'll be working guest service and there will be a line and I'm hitting the additional button lines are huge guests are yelling at me:( and finally 10 minutes later someone shows up after I hit it 3 times. The problem is they do not schedule enough people and of course no one can come up and help the service desk ( it was never like this) yes they have enoug hours they just choose not schedule enough people. I also am constantly getting chewed out by ETls because they choose not to communicate. Two weeks ago my fiancé was having car trouble and I told them I would be running late and I talked to a etl and she said okay thanks for telling me when I walk over to guest service the gstl says you are late! ETL didn't tell gstl so to to the gstl I was late. I just wish it was better.. Maybe it'll get better but for now it seems to be getting worse and other workers feel it too.

Ah, I didn't realize men still owned women in some parts of our country. Yeah, you definitly better not quit. He might trade you in to The Emperor to acquire more land and livestock.

You don't quit? Please, I have a work ethic that says you work your best but never does it say you don't quit jobs. That thinking is very outdated, pre-Regan era. Where people could work at one job for years, but after the 1980's the tables turned. Workers were a cost not a benefit. In a family business it probably different but that does not apply to any other business and I will tell you that kind of thinking will keep you locked into bad jobs and not happy. You have to realize your point to pull the pin and say "fuck this". You are there. Now you find another job and GTFO. If your man comes with you, fine. If not, better now than with a few kids and shit load of bills in tow..

I've just discovered recently that it is OK to quit something, to be a big fat quitter. I always believed that to quit was to show weakness and inability. I come from a long line of depression era WWII, suck it up, work hard, non quitters. But, thanks to one random person, one random day, saying "fuck that. It's not that you can't do it, it's that you don't want to do it anymore. And you're allowed to say 'I don't want to do this anymore'." And I don't know why, but that hit me hard. Do what you need to do. I've been in your shoes and luckily my partner changed his tune and was very supportive of my choices. I hope yours does too, but if not...you gotta do what's right for you.

If possible suck it up til a new job is secured. That way bills aren't an issue and you won't need to explain any gaps in your employment history. If you try to explain to a prospective employer why you "had' to get out of Target, it's just going to look bad for you. We know that Spot is having lots of issues these days, but not everyone knows.

I'll have to put up with it until I have another job lined up I suppose. Walking out would be bad ( have thought of that one) however it would look bad on future employers. I just have to hang in there:)

Might cool things with the fiance until you find a different job; doesn't sound like a very supportive person or this is their version of 'tough love'?
Or 'tough luck'.

I'll have to put up with it until I have another job lined up I suppose. Walking out would be bad ( have thought of that one) however it would look bad on future employers. I just have to hang in there:)

Target doesn't give references, so it wouldn't "look bad." They would never even know.

When you want to rage quit, think of your end goal. A job I want not a job I need right now!!

No comment on the fiancé thing. But to your general what to do about the job, keep looking. Upload a resume to indeed and keep applying. Then when you find a job, quit. I wanna quit too, but I have bills and it sounds like you do, too. The only reason I'd quit without a job lined up is if I magnificently saved up enough to last me a few months. And even then, I'd probably just do an loa just in case I didn't find anything.

LOL @ the man-haters here.. If it was a MAN posting this, the replies would be something like... "BE A MAN" or "TOUGHEN UP"
Haha double standards against men are the funniest

Bullshit. I'm always more than happy to point out when some bitch is being a bitch. Most women are fucking terrible. Few things are worse than being in a relationship with someone whom thinks they're entitled to some sort of ownership over their partner. That goes both ways.

LOL @ the man-haters here.. If it was a MAN posting this, the replies would be something like... "BE A MAN" or "TOUGHEN UP"
Haha double standards against men are the funniest
I was going to say the same thing. The complaints listed by OP are an ETL forgetting to tell the GSTL that she would be late, which shouldn't happen, but it does happen and will continue to happen forever. Just tell them that you called ahead of time, tell the GSTL to go complain to the ETL. The other complaint about hours/coverage - uh, yeah, welcome to the business world. If there is an opportunity to cut costs without cutting too much into revenue, they're going to do it. That's how the world works. Profit is almost the only thing that matters. If you can't handle it, quit. Just know that there's a chance that it'll all be the same at your next job.

I... Didn't even read her complaints about the job. Don't think it matters what the complaints are. If you're not happy, you're not happy. We all have different levels of what we find acceptable. If you're within yours, congratulations.

I didn't comment on the fiancé thing initially, because I wouldn't want someone I'm engaged to to quit without a job lined up either if we weren't in a place of financial comfort. But the way op worded it, it sounds like they could possibly be being forced to keep the job. It doesn't sound like a gentle suggestion that they discussed thoroughly and made a joint decision on. I think that's where people are taking issue with the fiancé.

Essentially, the essence of my post was that she should *woman* up. No one should have that sort of control over another. If you thinks that's okay, then you're in for a long, rough ride in the relationship rodeo.

"Hey, we've discussed it. Thanks for your input. Now I'll make a decision that meets my best interests."

I guess the thing that generally bothers me ( and yes I'm sure at other retail places ( restaurant etc) you know it's going to be busy ( back to school) and they do have the hours ( they are making sales) but again they don't schedule enough people on the sales floor and guests yell at me ( guest service) additional buttons are going off at the registers but again no one can come up because they only have 1 or 2 sales floor people are either they are on break or on register.. It's frustrating really.. I promise it wasn't like this last back to school ( hence the frustration) but thankfully the kiddos go back to school in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back