Archived I wonder if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I wonder if the original thebreakroom.org is down because of the June 17 union vote coming up in Queens, NY. I hate to be "grouchy" but it wouldn't surprise me if the old site was forced to shut down until the vote is over.

Am I being paranoid? Of course! What do you all think...?

Not entirely sure how that would be related... could be but doesn't seem very likely in my opinion... then again... what do I know? lol

I don't think so. The union thread went left field to other off topics.

Another user was on the forum when the server when down. He said the server went crazy on his computer.
Plus, scram email & other non spot forum are down too.

Welcome back, my old friend!

I don't think so. The union thread went left field to other off topics.

Another user was on the forum when the server when down. He said the server went crazy on his computer.
Plus, scram email & other non spot forum are down too.

Welcome back, my old friend!

Thanks, I feel better now! You have restored my faith in the company...well, not entirely!

Team members in NY are voting on whether or not they will have a union? WOW! I didnt think Target would EVER allow something like that to happen!

It's not up to Target if a union can come in or not. Federal laws exist to allow for virtually any work force to unionize to receive collective bargaining rights. On that same note though, there is no federal laws protecting a union from an employer deciding to close a store and negate the existence of a union any more.

If not why is the original site still down?

If a site is down this long it is usually because it is being kept down for a reason. I am sure the person maintaining the server should have been tech savvy enough to get the site up even with limited functionality by now or at least find someone who could.

Too many variables involved to speculate. Maybe he's unemployed and can't afford to fix things, as in if a motherboard is fried and he doesn't have the $150 to drop on a decent board. Perhaps he had a database corruption and is busy with work so much he isn't able to rebuild everything right now. Point is it is PURE SPECULATION at this point to assume Target is somehow responsible for the site going down. It is a coincidence that the site went down during union talks at a store, nothing more.

Target Corp. was the first thing I thought of when the old forum went down. Doesn't mean it's true but they do forbid social networking talk or at least I heard that somewhere.

Gawker.com has had a lot of articles on the NY Union vote and is now showing the orientation video and flyers. Maybe Target didn't want an online forum for Gawker to find posts about employee experiences?

Yesterday, Gawker posted a leaked Target union video and now Target is saying they don't use that video anymore. True? www.mogulite.com/target-anti-union-video/

Last edited:
Target doesn't expressly forbid social networking with it's employees. They do however hold them accountable for threats and abusive behavior between team members as well as to not reveal any trade secrets to outsiders. As long as you are friendly and responsible they will have no room to say anything to you about your private activities. Check on workbench for their official policy for social media websites, it should have been updated within the last few months if I remember.

I don't think the site going down had anything to do with the union thread and I'm sure folks here will tell you I'm the first to look for the worst from the man.
The very nature of the net is change, sites come and go for all kinds of reasons. I'm just glad that we were able to find a new home.

It's not up to Target if a union can come in or not. Federal laws exist to allow for virtually any work force to unionize to receive collective bargaining rights. On that same note though, there is no federal laws protecting a union from an employer deciding to close a store and negate the existence of a union any more.

I'm pretty sure that neither of us are labor lawyers. I'm also not necessarily arguing for or against UFCW representation for Target employees.

However, you might want to read up on "Runaway Shop Doctrine" and what happens when the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) finds such a closing to be a runaway shop, where the business is closed and relocated simply to avoid having to recognize and negotiate with a certified employee's union. Boeing is currently having trouble with the NLRB over plans to set up an aircraft assembly plant in South Carolina for this reason.

Target realizes this when it gives a coy "There are no guarantees" answer rather than blatantly threatening to close the store, which would arguably be illegal. Being coy, and arguing purely economic motives for closing would make a case for a "runaway shop" hard to prove, but not impossible.

If the previous forum owner was into talking Target so much then why isn't that person here in the meantime?

If the previous forum owner was into talking Target so much then why isn't that person here in the meantime?

Maybe he hasn't found it, or hasn't cared enough to search. Scram seemed to be online very sporadically and irregularly as far as the old forum was concerned.

Scram doesn't work for spot anymore. He is a dispatcher & goes school. He does have other forums, he runs too. Those servers are down too. I wished I had save the info on the old forum. But, I am not giving up yet.

I'm not sure what happened either. I had Scram's phone/email, but it was saved in my PM box, and was lost with the server. I really hate the idea of starting over so I haven't been here except to check it out a couple times. I think it's great that everyone found a place to gather while the break room is down, but I liked the idea of the topix forum better. This site feels kind of like plagiarism.

I look at it as the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" approach. I ran across the old site and became a member for how involved everyone was and informative the site's resources were. We are on the right track here to keep that going. Another point to consider is if the old site were to be brought back that the transition for anyone would be minimal.

I simply made the site look the same because I wanted to get it done quickly, and wanted users to be comfortably familiar with the layout of things. Obviously the concept of this site is not my own, and I never claimed it was. If and when Scram gets the original site back up, I'll make every effort to work with him to get everything from here back over there.

That is true, I am totally impressed though how quickly this one got up to 200+ members. It might not be as hard to start over as it seems. We'll see. Anyway, It's good to see everyone again!

Hey guys. Sorry I vanished.

Here's the low-down.

Back in the day (like very far back in the day, circa 2002) I did a lot of freelance webdesign while I was a youngin and I ended up finding a guy who had his own server and hosting he did and I made him a website in return for free hosting. While that was going on I had the plug pulled on us when they did some spring cleaning and they restored us but we lost some data, that was back in the early days of TBR. But this last time I have absolutely NO idea where the host went or what has happened. I am assuming at this point after many failed attempts at reaching him via AIM and his gmail that he fell off the face of the earth.

Well, a few weeks prior to the host vanishing my Hard Drive on my PC died. I did a regular update of some Windows files and my computer locked up and sat frozen for a full night at the same percentage, so I tried to reboot only to find the system startup files corrupt, and when I went to repair that the entire OS and HD died, my BIOS was unable to read the hard drive and did not recognize it. So that forced me to buy a new one.

After that cluster I forgot all about going back in and making some updates of all of my sites since I had them on my old Hard Drive and by the time we needed to do one it was too late.

So, I have absolutely no data from the old forum, nor do I have any of the old files for the website. I am now starting from scratch.

I went ahead and purchased a hosting plan from a legitimate hosting company that I have done work with in the past on other clients websites. I am currently in the process of configuring a new forum, but the downside to that is it's newer then the one this is running and I am having a hard time trying to get the database tables to take. So, the grim reality is we might be a flat out fresh new start for a 3rd time.

I am working with Formina Sage and I respect the fact that he took his time and energy to put together a little place on the net to hold what we could together until I figured something out. Hopefully we can get something together in the next day or two otherwise I will just launch a fresh clean new start.

In the mean time, if anyone has any problems with anything shoot me an email at scram[at]thebreakroom[dot]org

Thanks for sticking around guys.
-Zac

Scram, you have help some many folks including me, do & understand spot better. Life is a rollercoaster with ups & downs. What matters the most is, you have a created a forum that resulted in making of a great team.
As a team, we rebuild the info again. I wish I had more computer skills to help out on server & code stuff.

Through efforts of formica sage, He has become the phoenix that rises from the ashes.

A big thanks to you & fs!:thumbsup:
My beer rises & salutes the both of you!

Please stay in touch!

You were completely correct!
Hey all! I wonder if the original thebreakroom.org is down because of the June 17 union vote coming up in Queens, NY. I hate to be "grouchy" but it wouldn't surprise me if the old site was forced to shut down until the vote is over.

Am I being paranoid? Of course! What do you all think...?

I'm just glad the freedom of speech is continuing in this new website, though very sad and upset if the original site was ruined due to the Union discussion. It would just prove Unions are VERY helpful to employees, and more people need to join together to form Unions! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back