Archived I'd like to eventually become a TL. How can I achieve that goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything I should say or do?
Ask a team lead about it. Gauge their reaction.

I helped someone get TL, because I knew they were right for it. Someone else, I struggled to keep a straight face when they brought it up and said something about headcount then went to the ETLs office to have a laugh about it.

I helped someone get TL, because I knew they were right for it. Someone else, I struggled to keep a straight face when they brought it up and said something about headcount then went to the ETLs office to have a laugh about it.

Probably how my store’s leadership would respond if I asked :(

Anything I should say or do?
Hopefully you’re new or have been seen as a fantastic TM. It’s always smart to play the new kid card and ride the wave. Most new TLs in my store recently are new TMs that get promoted, externals, or TMs who have been there forever and applied like 4 times...

First step is to tell your tl that you're interested in it. If they suck and show little interest, tell your etl/hr/stl.

Second, get yourself a mentor. That's a tl who can guide you through learning more, give you advice and candid feedback. Try to ask someone who's good and not your immediate superior.

Now you're in the spotlight. Your attendance, work ethic, attitude, and general ability to get shit done will be under a microscope.

When people ask me to mentor them I tell them that their development is on them. I give them advice, but they have to have the initiative to go and get scheduled outside they're work center to learn new skills. If they get stonewalled then I step in. I also do a sit down with them twice a month. These sit downs can range from a vent session, talking about how they could have handled situations better, to interview prep if I feel they're ready.

Now for the bit you might not want to hear. I've turned down people since I know they wouldn't cut it, but I tell them why. Most of the time they have attendance issues, or they just cant get shit done. I let them know that if they improve I'll reconsider.

Good luck getting TL, but you may wish you hadn't. Having TM's under you that don't know left from right and back biting.
And ETLs over you doing the same, plus micromanaging, submarining, and using you as a shield to cover their butts.🙄

I wouldn't necessarily say kiss ass but definitely have a leader on your side. They will want you to take ownership of a process. You will need to be the person to perfect the process and speak of what your obstacles were. The conversation should start with your ETL and TL then when your ready you will have your bench interview.

Talk to your TL and ETL and make sure they know you interest to advance.
If you are on the Front, then go for GSA.

Definitely speak to an TL or ETL that you feel comfortable with first, even if they aren't necessarily your immediate supervisor. Technically, my ETL is the ETL-SF and my TL is the SrTL-SF, but so far, I've discussed it with the ETL-log because she's the one that I have a better rapport with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back