Archived ideas on RC...how to bring up the subject with a guest...please be serious with the ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree. I also am not a cashier. The point I was trying to make is " you can't get blood out of a stone". After reading all the threads on red cards, I feel, most cashiers feel they are doing everything possible to get a red card and are very frustrated. Making more money per hr will not help, IMO.

I can see your point. But I was referring to those TMs who simply don't give a flying fuck. The ones who don't ask about Red Cards and service plans, stand around and chat at the fitting room or electronics boat instead of zoning/re-shop/whatever, take 30 minute breaks and hour lunches, and call in every Friday night because they'd rather go out drinking than earn a paycheck. The ones who shouldn't have been hired in the first place, and yet we wonder why they haven't been fired yet.
I can understand that....and we have a few of those in my store as well :)

[
I respectfully disagree. I also am not a cashier. The point I was trying to make is " you can't get blood out of a stone". After reading all the threads on red cards, I feel, most cashiers feel they are doing everything possible to get a red card and are very frustrated. Making more money per hr will not help, IMO.
I have a close friend/ co worker who is a gstl. She is constantly telling me how they ETLs are up her ass about RC....and then she has to say something to her cashiers...which she hates doing ...but if she doesn't then she gets in trouble. So, my point is Spot shout lay off the cashiers/front end about the RC...let them promote it but don't up their ass about it all the damn time. Spot should actually listen to their team members and realize they are doing all that they can

I work part-time, about twelve hours a week. On average I open seven RCs in one shift (four hours). Here are my two main principles for opening RCs:

1) No apologies
You can say "would you like to open a Red Card today? I can save you 5% today and everyday," like a million times and it won't help you if your tone of voice and body language say "I'm so sorry to ask, but my boss requires it." Guests are smart...they can read you. If you, as an employee, don't think it's a good idea to have a RC, your guests won't either. Don't apologize for offering to save the guest money. Always believe in what you're selling and remember, you're HELPING the guest by offering them the 5% discount. You're doing them a favor letting them open RCs. If you're excited about it, and generally think it's a good idea, so will your guests.

2) Person-to-person
If you didn't know anything about RCs, would you be more likely to open one if the cashier said you should, and listed the benefits , or if your best friend explained all the benefits and said you should open one? You'd probably be more likely to open one if your friend recommended it. In that minute or so when the guest is checking out, your goal should be to stop interacting as cashier-guest, but rather person-to-person. When the guest sees you not as someone just trying to sell something, but as a person, the sales dynamic disappears and you just become two people chatting at the register. When you're person-to-person, your opinion becomes more legitimate in the guest's eyes, and they're more likely to believe in, and appreciate, the RC benefits you're explaining to them.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I think there is only so much that team members can do to sell the RC. Spot needs to realize that the whole security mishap....has made a lot of guests gun shy. They should spend more money on media blow outs to prmote the Red card and explain how they have taken steps to prohibit another security lapse. Then if you Spot wants team members to promote the RC like crazy....pay them more .

TMs can educate themselves on what actually happened during the breach. First and foremost, the most appealing redcard (the debit card) was not breachable because of the pin required. The mag strip on the CCs is what gave way to the breach. Know when your store is rolling out the smart chips. Ours has already had the new smart chip card readers for about 3 weeks now. Target is sending all of it's CC holders new cards with smart chips before October, and BEFORE any of the other corps that were also breached during the holidays are rolling out their own smart chips. So.. the guests may think they know based on heresay but don't be afraid to let them know Target is being more proactive in protecting their personal information than any other corporation that was breached. Also, specially noting that Target was not the only one breached, just the one that got the most press. :)

In response to the OP, I first ask "Will you be saving 5% on your purchase today with one of our AWESOME red cards?" If they say yes, I say "FANTASTIC! Have you taken advantage of our free shipping online?" I will also talk to them about Pharmacy price matching and rewards and cartwheel. Obviously they like to save so.. why not? I make sure the conversation can be heard by any guest in earshot. That gives them time to think about it before I even get to their purchase. If they have children, I ask if they've signed up to designate the 1% of their purchases to the school. I speak fast and clearly with a smile. I am not SELLING redcards. I am offering our guests savings. There is a difference. For the guests that do not have a redcard, I get responses like "I don't do credit cards" (cue debit card speech) or "I already have one" but they use a different card. ("Well you can only save that 5% if you're using it.") or "No" (Well if you'd like to save X amount on today's purchase it would only take a few minutes of your time, do you have a blank check?" No? "That's alright! Let's get you approved with credit and as soon as you get your card, you can make your purchases and walk right over to the service desk and pay it." There are MANY ways to get your guests excited about savings. You have to genuinely want to help them save. If not, it's not going to work. I love seeing people save money. I high five them when they have a ton of coupons and tell them all the ways they can save more, be it a redcard, pharmacy rewards, price matching, cartwheel, sales... all of it. Also, I find that one of the most appealing things to me about the debit (the cash back option) is rarely talked about... that and the extended returns. Last, definitely announce how much they have cumulatively saved with their redcard. All of your conversation with your current guest should be heard by your other guest(s) in line as well as any sneaky GSTLs lingering by. ;)

When it comes to peoples money...they tend to believe what they first hear...whether it be truth or not. They are just being careful...and who can blame them

To be honest, my guests seem to be getting irritated with the "ask every guest thing". They heard me ask the person before them buying a pack of gum... They start off saying no. One tonight even said, "they tell you to ask everyone don't they? I'm sorry."

Bad vibes going on with certain aspects right now related to it. It's hard to explain....

When it comes to peoples money...they tend to believe what they first hear...whether it be truth or not. They are just being careful...and who can blame them

I guess it's just a difference in perspective. Certainly you can't force anyone to do something they don't want, but helping a guest make their decision by giving real details takes a bit of the burdon off and that feels nice to anyone. You say they are being careful. I say they are being naive if they think that their sensitive information can't be breached at any other POS machine or device. It happens. In a digital world, information compromise is an unfortunate part of life.

I have learned that when it comes to other peoples money...its their choice...maybe they are being naïve...but its their money and their choice. Spot needs to realize this..

I don't recall Target ever telling a guest that a redcard is mandatory.

I didn't say or imply that its mandatory. I am saying that guests are saying no...for their own reasons...and spot needs to stop pushing it so hard ....and let the dust settle .

I have learned that when it comes to other peoples money...its their choice...maybe they are being naïve...but its their money and their choice. Spot needs to realize this..

That's because Target doesn't tell guests that Red Cards are mandatory. Target tells cashiers that Red Cards are mandatory.

when i worked for a different company, selling the company credit card would net you a $1.00 bonus for each application that successfully went through. it was also implied that if you wanted to advance as a chashier/gsa type person that would would net at least 1 or 2 applications per shift.

I think if people were paid like a $1 bonus per application, and then a $5 bonus each time you acquired a new cardholder people would try to acquire them like crazy.

I didn't say or imply that its mandatory. I am saying that guests are saying no...for their own reasons...and spot needs to stop pushing it so hard ....and let the dust settle .

I felt like you did actually imply that. Target mandates that you ASK every guest, not that you actually get every guest to apply. I don't see what the big deal is. It's part of the job. I don't know of any job where you get hired and then decide you don't want to do part of it without expecting a supervisor to say something. lol

I think if people were paid like a $1 bonus per application, and then a $5 bonus each time you acquired a new cardholder people would try to acquire them like crazy.

This wouldn't be much incentive to me.... maybe others, but a $1? Not my trigger point.

Sometimes, when the weather is crummy outside I'll say something about avoiding the weather for a few minutes....and stay inside for a few minutes...and apply for a RC.

I'll tell my first guest of the day that the whole tone of my day will be set during the transaction....SO, would like to make my day and get a RC?

I'll tell my final guest (which is not often easy to determine) that they could easily make my day by getting a RC.
After working at Target as a cashier for 2 years (at 2 different stores) let me tell you that who ever said that you have to come across like you think its a great thing is right. If someone thinks you are just trying to sell them something they will tune you out. How ever if you come across like "hey you are in here a lot let me help you save some money" you will get better responses. Also if you don't have any in a while just keep it up. I just got though a month where I had no RedCards but I kept my head up kept asking and now I'm having my best week in a long time (now I do wish we got some sort of commission for them but that's beside the point).

Canibedreamin if you're only a GSA your store is F'n up. I'd make you a GSTL in heartbeat based on your attitude alone! I know people just like to bitch, but until Target decides to remove all of its eggs out of this particular basket and move onto the next thing that is going to miraculously fix our company.... Being positive about Red Cards is not hard. The debit card especially is an amazing thing to have as a guest.

No, the RC is not mandatory for the guest.....just mandatory for TMs to get cards from guests!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back