If you could restructure the target process...

Yep, hours are the main issue, and people to fill them. We are a mess right now because coverage in Style is a joke, and half the time at least one TM calls out on top of that. We are getting 4-5 hour shifts, and often single-person coverage during the day. Three TMs closing but almost a guarantee at least one calls out.
At our store our fitting rooms have been closed for a year. I was talking to the ETL over style and he said there no hours to man them anyway.

Hence the hours were eliminated and no used on the floor in style.

Create a more proactive guided audit process and a specialized team to do it. If a store hasn't sold an item or 90 days, that should trigger an audit that needs to be done within a week. Once those are cleared out, go for items that haven't sold in 60 days. Then, onto items that haven't sold in 30 days. You could at that point even go to two weeks for essentials and market.

After that the 30 days audits should be done every week. There will need to be a specialized team to do this. Give ownership of them to the new dedicated fulfillment TL because this process is what you need to really make fulfillment work as wanted.

This would take a task away from DBOs that they rarely get to anyway while at the same time making fulfillment more productive. Guests would be more satisfied with fewer INFs so NPS scores would also be better.
A specialized audit team is a great idea.

Our store has TMs audit there own department which IMHO is unethical makes the backroom room (BRLA?) error artificially low.

At our store our fitting rooms have been closed for a year. I was talking to the ETL over style and he said there no hours to man them anyway.

Hence the hours were eliminated and no used on the floor in style.
Everything changed after the pandemic hit, of course, but they officially did away with the fitting room attendant before that. Not sure if there were any hours for it since the beginning of 2019.

Create a more proactive guided audit process and a specialized team to do it. If a store hasn't sold an item or 90 days, that should trigger an audit that needs to be done within a week. Once those are cleared out, go for items that haven't sold in 60 days. Then, onto items that haven't sold in 30 days. You could at that point even go to two weeks for essentials and market.
... ....
because this process is what you need to really make fulfillment work as wanted.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I cannot tell you how many times I have picked a batch with an empty location on the shelf with mywork saying something like: "last sold 250 days ago - last audited 295 days ago." It's like "for real?!" when that pops up.

1. CLOSED backroom - have 2 people pulling accurately all day and bringing carts OUT to the DBO’s to push - rather than 20 DBO’s off the floor to go in the back and mess up the numbers.

2. DEDICATED TM’s to backup cashier and do re-shop - all day -
no more pleading and yelling and hoping someone who has a million other things to do will respond. Reshop and backup cashier IS your role - you MUST respond!

3. Fewer ETL’s that are in the office & out of touch- replaced with TL’s that plan and work alongside tm’s - constantly training , improving, motivating, engaging, guiding.

4. ThE MOST Important one - SET schedules - these schedules of opening, closing, mid...all mixed in the same week mess with eating and sleeping schedules, never know who is working when, increases call outs for appointments, sets would increase retention of trained employees, better work|life balance, better employee pool. Why have a different person every day ? Why not the same ?

5. PLano, signing, pricing, backroom, inbound, front end with the backup/reshop people as the ONLY teams. Keep the DBO’s IN the dept.’s to zone, push, audit, help guests. Not TOO much but enough to stay productive while being available - they are NOT available while unloading truck, pulling , backstocking, setting a pog, backup cashiering - that is why there are other teams for those tasks.

oh.... boy.

I actually don't want teams to come back.

Over the years, I have become really fucking tired of correcting other people's mistakes. I am currently still correcting mistakes, but to a lesser extent.
-
I want 40 hours a week in my department with a set schedule, working up to 6 days a week.
I want to work alone, with the exception of maybe one specific team member helping me when I get a large workload.
I want a 4am unload, and for me to work at 4am. I was exhausted, but I was able to get a lot of shit done before 8am.
-
However, a consistent, competent closing zoner (and 1-4-1 puller) can have a big impact on my area.

-
tl;dr -- PAYROLL

ETA: pay enough, and give enough hours that you will be able hire and retain truly dedicated team members that are willing to learn and carry out all facets of the job.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why in fulfillment it’s such a surprise somedays when the forecast is high and we have a lightly staffed day. There also seems to be a lack of communication as to why the forecast jumps up so high-surely someone knows something. Finally, if the forecast suddenly jumps up and we are understaffed in Ship, it might be a good idea to take a look at the next day and the following day as well to make sure the staffing fits with the forecast?

We also have a large Ship dept and there should be a paid position that’s under a TL, but above a Fulfillment Expert. Sure, there’s captains/pacesetters now, but set them up with the pay they deserve-not empty promises that they’ll be next in line at some point in the future.

Edited to add that I miss the overnight team at our store. Being in ship, it was nice to come in the morning and not have to hunt down stuff that just came in on the truck. Plus, it made the backroom much less hectic.

Last edited:
3) In regards to ETLs do two things. Give the CURRENT TLs an inducement to become one. Don't hire 22 year olds with no retail experience as one just because they have a college degree and the did an internship with Target.
This, a million times this. My store has been through like 5 TLs in the past few months all because the original TL that was hired was terrible and had absolutely zero clue as to how Target operates, making it 2x harder for his TMs to effectively do our jobs.

Have shift leaders assign two inbound team members to push furniture. It's a complete nightmare doing a 5 man job by yourself, and consistently pushing heavy furniture and unloading the truck is a good way to mess up your back.

I like to see Target take weather more into consideration when removing seasonal items. I find it ridiculous when I went on vacation to Oregon in 40 degrees weather and no jackets or gloves are sold, but look! A bikini!

Also our area is hot as hell, yet we have heaters but no AC... Does that make any sense?

After that the 30 days audits should be done every week. There will need to be a specialized team to do this. Give ownership of them to the new dedicated fulfillment TL because this process is what you need to really make fulfillment work as wanted.

This would take a task away from DBOs that they rarely get to anyway while at the same time making fulfillment more productive. Guests would be more satisfied with fewer INFs so NPS scores would also be better.

Funny they had a team that did that.. Now they are lucky it gets done at all. Well it gets done by a TM being told to key it as quickly as possible.

Glad you asked, whelp for starters I’m going to need 100% controlling interest so how about all you share holding motherfuckers sell the whole ass farm back to me for zero dollars. Pleasure doing bidness with you, bitch👌 So I’m basically CEO for life and because I get to do literally whatever I want, a company-wide binding referendum will be held and TMs will be asked to choose Best Boss and Worst Boss. Best Bosses will receive a hefty raise (everybody is paid by the hour) and Worst Bosses will be court-marshaled and sentenced to 100 lashes and 20 years penal servitude in the cart gangs

All truck push needs to go back to overnights, period. It's a huge guest disruption and if we're supposed to be focused in guests, this is the way. I'll bite and still keep price change, replenishment etc as part of modernization dbo routines. In Style, I'd honestly be fine with how we used to have truck team not push new sets of product and just save them for us during the day so they were placed correctly.
This! Pushing the truck is a simple and basic enough process that it can be given to entry level teams while still letting the DBO own the department, something pushed wrong? great development to see the DBO follow up with the push and maintain their dept. There are a lot of tms that honestly are just not able to handle the full DBO process and its not fair to single them out of a job just because we are expecting more. Just give them back their flow days and flow pay.

It would be nice if each store could set the path for audit and sfs...instead of going all the way through to a49 and then send us back to a53 which is the wall near A10. Stop putting soft lines unlocated at the end and actually with the group it is in. Some times I'm crossing the store 5 times during audit or picking a batch...crazy

It would be nice if each store could set the path for audit and sfs...instead of going all the way through to a49 and then send us back to a53 which is the wall near A10. Stop putting soft lines unlocated at the end and actually with the group it is in. Some times I'm crossing the store 5 times during audit or picking a batch...crazy
yes! I went to domestics, then up through chem and HBA, only to go back to domestics a few items later - in the same batch.

or - on the flip side - allow us to select the item we want to pick next (rather than skipping through the batch.)

yes! I went to domestics, then up through chem and HBA, only to go back to domestics a few items later - in the same batch.

or - on the flip side - allow us to select the item we want to pick next (rather than skipping through the batch.)
It had me start at an endcap, go to a few other locations, and then BACK TO THE SAME ENDCAP later. WTF

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Back