Archived If you use a giftcard can you use the 10% discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm glad I googled Target and found this website. Nobody EVER mentioned it in almost 2 years!! Thought I would make this topic my first post since I have a little experience on the subject. You can buy all the gift cards you want and then you can use them with your discount. JUST PAY CASH for the card! My name kind of gives it away, but I do work in AP and we do frequently catch team members violating this policy. Usually because they buy the gift card with a credit card and then 10 seconds later in very next transaction they use it with their discount. Per HR policy from corporate to "achieve fair and equitable treatment of all team members" :wacko: first offense is final warning, second is termination. Same goes for letting someone else use your discount.

Welcome to the boards fellow AP!

Um dude. It's been almost a week since you've posted this and the iPhone is pretty much here. During that time you could have applied for a Target Check Card or Credit Card by MAIL and got it already. No risk and you save an extra 5%. Doesn't make sense to me unless your credit score is in the crapper. But if it is, do you want your job references in the crapper too?

You can buy all the gift cards you want and then you can use them with your discount. JUST PAY CASH for the card!

...Or just use cash for your purchase in the first place?

(Yes, I know--carrying less cash, quicker transactions, receipt lookup, etc. There are benefits to just keeping and reloading a giftcard to use for everything. But it always seemed like more hassle than it was worth, for me.)

Thanks for all your greetings! Glad to be here, everyone seems quite knowledgeable. I've already found several answers to my questions that no one in my store could answer!

Thanks for all your greetings! Glad to be here, everyone seems quite knowledgeable. I've already found several answers to my questions that no one in my store could answer!

You will read stuff here that your store won't tell you about until it happens. Usually 2 months before...
Search our threads, we have a lot great posts on various topics.
We are here to learn, teach & vent a little.

All of this makes me wonder ... Does anyone here know if someone has actually been termed for doing this? Or written up/coached? I know people who have been fired for stealing, bringing a weapon to work, etc. But, I have never heard of someone being coached for something like this. Unless the item is expensive and/or the transactions are done back to back, I would imagine something like this would 1) be difficult to prove and 2) not worth the time it takes to prove. For instance, say I buy a giftcard at my store with a Wells Fargo credit card. Then I use the giftcard two weeks later to buy a bottle of dishwashing liquid and use my employee discount. Does it automatically prompt something in the system for AP? Obviously, if you are standing in line and buy the giftcard on one transaction and then right then use it to buy a $599 tv, I see how that is pretty obvious.

All of this makes me wonder ... Does anyone here know if someone has actually been termed for doing this? Or written up/coached? I know people who have been fired for stealing, bringing a weapon to work, etc. But, I have never heard of someone being coached for something like this. Unless the item is expensive and/or the transactions are done back to back, I would imagine something like this would 1) be difficult to prove and 2) not worth the time it takes to prove. For instance, say I buy a giftcard at my store with a Wells Fargo credit card. Then I use the giftcard two weeks later to buy a bottle of dishwashing liquid and use my employee discount. Does it automatically prompt something in the system for AP? Obviously, if you are standing in line and buy the giftcard on one transaction and then right then use it to buy a $599 tv, I see how that is pretty obvious.

Yes, I do know someone who was termed for this type of thing (although it wasn't the only reason). There is very little we do at Target that isn't tracked somehow, someway. You'd be surprised how carefully we are watched.

Targets discounts are much better then walmarts. At walmart the discount can not be used for clearance or sale items and only certin grocery items like snacks and vendor items get the discounts

the rule is say you have a big purchase and you dont have cash on you you would have the cashier ring it up add your discount then suspend then you purchase gc for the same amount and use it on that purchase. its not allowed at all you can use a gift card and your discount on things but only if the gift card exceeds the amount of the total. you can get fired for it

We had a TL who did that a lot; totaled the sale w/discount, have the cashier suspend the trans while she loaded a worn giftcard with the trans total from a bank card, unsuspend the trans & pay with the newly-loaded giftcard.
She was warned then eventually termed.

We had a TL who did that a lot; totaled the sale w/discount, have the cashier suspend the trans while she loaded a worn giftcard with the trans total from a bank card, unsuspend the trans & pay with the newly-loaded giftcard.
She was warned then eventually termed.

Bad etl!

the rule is say you have a big purchase and you dont have cash on you you would have the cashier ring it up add your discount then suspend then you purchase gc for the same amount and use it on that purchase. its not allowed at all you can use a gift card and your discount on things but only if the gift card exceeds the amount of the total. you can get fired for it

When I was still "young and stupid" (i.e. a noob cashier), I did that for a TM, not realizing that it wasn't allowed. I'm fairly certain that the TM was termed.

I remember one time that another cashier and I questioned our etl-hr about that. She told us that we didn't need to worry about it. We weren't (in her words) the "gift card police" and that they would catch the tm doing this.

I gave a tm, a hard look with his aunt buying stuff. Then, he ask to his gstl why, she says you can get fired for that. The tm say, never again after that.

I gave a tm, a hard look with his aunt buying stuff. Then, he ask to his gstl why, she says you can get fired for that. The tm say, never again after that.

You are not making sense.

This is quite normal. As long as the team member pays at the register, that is that. If any reimbursement happens before or after the fact, neither the cash register reports nor the cameras would show any evidence.

So... How about I go to the grocery store at the other end of my shopping center and buy a Spot gift card there? Or buy an e-card from .com?

So... How about I go to the grocery store at the other end of my shopping center and buy a Spot gift card there? Or buy an e-card from .com?

So, assuming that you mean you're paying for the giftcard with a non-Red debit or credit card and then using that giftcard with your discount card to make in-store purchases... and also assuming that ".com" means "target.com"... The first scenario would be within policy, but the second would be against it. In the first scenario, it's the grocery store paying the transaction fee charged by your credit/debit card issuer, but in the second, it would still be Target paying that fee even though you were buying through the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back