If your hours are cut file for unemployment

While mine is not partial unemployment, based on verbage of the letter I think it works out the same. I filed late March. For whatever reason unemployment didn't use Q4 2019, but they have my total wages by quarter from Q4 2018 through Q3 2019 listed on my award letter. Running numbers through a calculator my award amount per week is about ⅔ of my average wages per week during that time period. While on unemployment if I work and my gross week's wages is more than my award amount then I don't get unemployment that week. If I earn less, then I don't get the full award amount though I don't know how that would be calculated.

But as said, each state's formula is different.

Good points above: if you are partially underemployed due to reduced hours, you'll report the hours and wages you earned during the preceding week when you file your weekly claim. States vary on the details. In some states, your reduced-hours earnings will be deducted from your weekly benefit amount using a formula (in Washington it's a 75% reduction excluding a $5 credit), it would look somewhat like this:
Your weekly UI benefit: $ 250; your reduced hours - 15 hours at $15/hour: $225 (75% of this is $168.75)
$ 250.00

UI benefit of $81 PLUS the Federal $600 supplement
This is illustrative only, YMMV

My hours have been cut in half on the new schedule. Was getting 18, now getting 9 on the new one. Do you all think this is enough to file for un(der)employment? They already hate my guts there because I'm not the fastest worker and can't work six flats in four hours, etc, so I couldn't give less of a shit if they dislike me more.

File. Many states just require that your hours are half of your running average.

Plus you'll get that sweet $600 federal bonus!

This was a past experience and I was young and naive. I was laid off my full time job and Target was my part time. I filed for unemployment and of course I had to report my Target income. I was getting my UI, then I got the dreaded “letter” for an interview. I don’t know who contacted first (EDD or Target), but Target reported that I was not available to work as I had limited availability, therefore I was only earning less (since its my part time). I got schooled by the EDD lady letting me know a job is a job and I should have opened my availability.(my reasoning was I lost my full time job and that I needed my availability open for a future full time job).
So I just want to advise that before you apply, make sure that your schedule is flexible that Target can’t fight your claim if your available to work at all times. That it was them that they cannot give you the hours you need to make a livable wage.

Probably varies a lot state to state, but I got it very easily.
Mine was their system not being able to accept the weekly certification, and when they finally got that fixed after two or three weeks, it was followed by me not knowing how to report severance pay to them so it got reported twice, leading to my claim being closed. When I tried to reopen my claim via website it said I had to call and speak directly to a representative (holdover from old system) to reopen the old claim, but there were so many callers that phones were constantly busy, no getting through.

After about 5 weeks following the award letter being sent to me I contacted the state senator, two business days later DoL contacted me direclty and it was fixed. But in that 5 weeks I called well over 120 times (I didn't bother to count my phone log after that number), sent 15-20 emails each to four different state DoL email addresses, and even snail mailed copies of two emails to the DoL, with no response to any of those attempts to contact.

Some one must not like you. They bumped up your hours so not only do you miss out on Unemployment, but you miss out on that $600 federal bonus!

Yeah, I know they don't. I got an ION for not being fast enough, but at least I'm not on the floor the next two weeks. OTOH, that might be worse if I'm out of practice for two weeks. They've put me on the register more lately too.

Not sure, but I took an unpaid LOA, yet was eligible for unemployment not only during it, but even after returning from it.
What was the reason you put for filing for unemployment?.... cut hours? I know someone that was going to file because of being on an loa but she said there was no option for the circumstance and she so far hasn’t been able to get in touch with anyone to actually ask.

If you try to apply because of reduced hours. I assume Target/your store will be notified. Will you get in trouble in anyway or have retaliation for applying for partial unemployment?

If you try to apply because of reduced hours. I assume Target/your store will be notified. Will you get in trouble in anyway or have retaliation for applying for partial unemployment?
No one at my store has said anything to me about it, but my hours shot up to 37.5-40/wk. (However, I'm in Fulfillment & we've lost a few people to LOA, so my increased hours could be coincidental.)
My UI application is still pending after a month, though... I think Target/Reed are dragging their feet on it. 😡

Back