If your hours are cut file for unemployment

Fyi

Hey everyone,

Seems like a lot of team members are unaware that if your hours are cut you are entitled to a partial unemployment benefit from most states.

On top of normal unemployment you also qualify for the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. This is new program that is part of the CARES ACT. It provides an additional $600/week in federal unemployment as long as you claim $1 of unemployment in a given week. This $600 payment is retroactive from the week of March 29 until June 30

Every state calculates your benefit rate using a unique formula. You will have to go to your states unemployment website for that number.

if your hours are cut I encourage everyone to apply ASAP. If your hours aren’t cut please inform your teammates that this is available because Target doesn’t seem to be promoting this program at all.

Last edited:
Right now the unemployment process is insane, and you are going to have to fight hard for it. I ended up having to contact my state senator after more than 30 days of no payments following unemployment determining I am eligible and an award amount.

It was worth the fight though. My award amount was partially determined from my Target wages, and over 30 days no payments plus CARES meant $4000 backpay.

My wife has been unemployed since shortly before the COVID-19 outbreak. We had to fight a challenge from a prior employer, but won the appeal and she is receiving UI benefits. We did not know that shortly after winning the appeal, she'd receive the extra $600/week. It's certainly improved our cash flow, but the extra $600/week payments are temporary. Some families may become accustomed to the extra $600, only to despair when the program expires. (I won't discuss the politics here, let's assume the payments end on July 30, 2020 for purposes of this discussion).

In the meantime, my wife is diligently applying for jobs, getting interviews over the phone or via Zoom, but so far no job offers. :confused:

So for us, we will use the extra $600/week to replenish our rainy day fund, though possibly we might replace our very aged and sagging bedroom mattress/box springs, since there's no substitute for a really good night's sleep in this day and age. :p

We’ll be over here working, paying taxes , so guys can take it easy and enjoy this vacation on our tax dollars.

We’ll be over here working, paying taxes , so guys can take it easy and enjoy this vacation on our tax dollars.
As I mentioned, I'll avoid going into the politics here - that can go on the Off The Clock Chatter forum - but I tend to agree with you, even though my wife is an unintended beneficiary of this political gravy train.

This has been a godsend for me. I work Starbucks, so initially i was getting 20-30 hours weekly in flex and opu and cleaning. Then it went down to 13 hours, 7 hours and now this week i have a staggering 2 hours.
someone asked if target would get mad— is that a thing? It’s not my fault and the programs there for a reason. Should i be even a little worried about backlash?

Again I can’t stress how everyone with hour reductions should be using this program. It has the potential to put $600 in your pocket for every week you’re underemployed over the course of the program from April 1-June 30

This has been a godsend for me. I work Starbucks, so initially i was getting 20-30 hours weekly in flex and opu and cleaning. Then it went down to 13 hours, 7 hours and now this week i have a staggering 2 hours.
someone asked if target would get mad— is that a thing? It’s not my fault and the programs there for a reason. Should i be even a little worried about backlash?

2hr shift isn't legal and fuck them if they think that they can schedule you two fucking hours and then get bent out of shape when you file for unemployment.

Personally, I am lucky my husband has been able to work from home this entire time, not a blip in the money coming in, and I won't be peeved if some get some extra help and they can get some nice things out of it. A windfall doesn't come along often so take the money and run.

2hr shift isn't legal and fuck them if they think that they can schedule you two fucking hours and then get bent out of shape when you file for unemployment.

Personally, I am lucky my husband has been able to work from home this entire time, not a blip in the money coming in, and I won't be peeved if some get some extra help and they can get some nice things out of it. A windfall doesn't come along often so take the money and run.
Yeah i always thought the minimum was four hours a shift. But it’s just a two hour meeting with the whole Starbucks crew to learn how things are going to be different going forward. Couldn’t have happened at a better time tho, it’s been perfect weather plus I’ve gotten SO much yard work done in preparation for my first time gardening!

My hours have been cut in half on the new schedule. Was getting 18, now getting 9 on the new one. Do you all think this is enough to file for un(der)employment? They already hate my guts there because I'm not the fastest worker and can't work six flats in four hours, etc, so I couldn't give less of a shit if they dislike me more.

Again, even if you get 40 hours please tell your team mates that this is out there

Have you been able to do the initial filing, and are struggling with the weekly reporting? Or is it that you can't file?

My state partnered with an outside (in other words privately owned) business to rapidly expand their website potential, and the private business crashed just as fast. Either the private business got its act together under threat or the state went with a different business, but the end result is that the current filing and reporting site is the third one since March. Maybe that could also be the issue, the website you are trying is no longer the right website.

If you do file unemployment based on reduced hours, who does the state unemployment system contact at Target (headquarters HR or local HR)?
How do they calculate reduced hours?

Our store hired about 30 new employees based on LOAs over the past month and Subsequently lots of us the store have fewer hours.

If you do file unemployment based on reduced hours, who does the state unemployment system contact at Target (headquarters HR or local HR)?
How do they calculate reduced hours?

Our store hired about 30 new employees based on LOAs over the past month and Subsequently lots of us the store have fewer hours.

depends who hey contact sometimes they go off the info you provide.

Back