Archived I'm a Keeper (from seasonal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out theyre keeping me! Yay! I had a question or two. First, I'm sceduled New Years Eve to close and 2-10 New Years Day--does anyone know if I'll get time a 1/2? Also, I'm training over @ Starbucks too as I have barista experience. Is Starbucks a higher paygrade than cashier- which is what i was hired in at? AND finally, does anyone else find some (not all but some) of the college kids to be a bit pretentious? I'm still 26 y.o. But sometimes feel looked down on b/c I'm not in school, nor do I have a degree.

1.) Yes, New Years Day (not eve) is time and a half.

2.) Starbucks should be roughly $0.50 an hour higher than cashiering I believe.

3.) Absolutely, I am not currently in college, but am half way through my bachelors and am 25, the ETL-HR assumed I was much younger than she was (she's a year older than me) because I look younger than I am, when she found out I wasn't she seemed to think less of me or not currently being in college or having graduated yet.

So if SB is paid more, will I get that raise when I am "certified" or in May? Will I get a raise, and should I ask someone about it and how? Lol. Thx

Congrats from another seasonal keeper (from last year)!

I hit my year last month and I was talking with some TMs who were seasonal with me and we said that this year was different because we actually know what is going on now. Training is rushed and usually they don't put a lot of effort into teaching you all you need to know because they aren't sure if you are going to stick around. In my case, I picked up shifts in a couple of other workcenters so I could cross-train. These days I'm pretty much tied down to the fitting room because I have "guaranteed hours" and I don't get called in for cashier shifts. I routinely ask to "learn" new things (I may know about it already, but not necessarily the "Brand" way to do it) and I will offer up training wisdom to all who are willing to learn.

No on the college kid thing lol. I always feel like everyone (who knows) looks down on me because I'm working at Target... and not in my field, though. And I often feel like a bunch of the people on this site hate everyone who works at target and has a degree because apparently we're all pretentious asshats who are incapable of doing retail so we just jump into etl jobs for the eff of it. I'm only a tm, but I've read so many to that one etls that mention an etl who's fresh off that graduation stage. Usually makes me feel better about myself, tbh. 70% of the people I work with don't know I went to school, though. They mostly just assume I dropped out or didn't go. I get asked about whether I'm gonna go/go back all the time.

The students at my store do seem to be a little err... how can I put this? Overly optimistic. I never tell people I went to school unless they go on about how school's an automatic ticket to whatever job they're in love with. Then I kill their dreams, because I actually am an asshat.

There's not shit wrong with not having a degree, though. It's honestly the better option nowadays. I could get away with a full-time retail job at my current wage (if it were consistently ft) if I didn't have to pay Sallie Mae et al back.

There are so many TMs at my store with various degrees that can't find jobs in their fields, I don't judge anyone. We even have a GSA who's been in college since I started four years ago. I think she's going for another degree now.

Congrats Sleepy! I am also being kept on after season (CA/Cashier atm; but they want to cross train me).

I am 25 btw and haven't been in college for the past 2 yrs. Almost have my AA though.

Congrats for getting to stay on.

Any of the kids who look down on you are the same kind of smegheads who would look down on people for any number of stupid reasons so they aren't worth your time.
You can always go back.

The students at my store do seem to be a little err... how can I put this? Overly optimistic. I never tell people I went to school unless they go on about how school's an automatic ticket to whatever job they're in love with. Then I kill their dreams, because I actually am an asshat.

There's not shit wrong with not having a degree, though. It's honestly the better option nowadays. I could get away with a full-time retail job at my current wage (if it were consistently ft) if I didn't have to pay Sallie Mae et al back.
I love your first sentence. HA.

My A.S. in Pharm Tech was college take 2 for me. I only got the AA because i'm old and they allowed transfer of all of my general ed classes from take 1. That meant I only had 5 classes beyond what the state required for a Pharm Tech - why wouldn't I get it?! What is more in loans?!?! I changed my major too much in take 1 to have a degree. Oops.

We don't have college kids at our store, the youngest ETL is the GE one - but even at that I think he's been around awhile. I guess I shall be thankful we don't have them....

Congrats on staying on you guys!!

I was hired before we started seasonal hiring, so I was hoping/expected to be kept on. Had my 90 day review yesterday and that will be the case. Congrats to all the seasonal keepers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back