Archived I'm a male and just got a GSA position! Any other male GSAs here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEye

Executive Team Leader
Hey Breakroom friends!

I just took a GSA position at my store (unfortunately no pay increase but hey, steady hours!). I'm the first male to have a front-end "supervisor" position since I've been there (4 years). I'm curious if any other males here are a GSA and if it has any other affect on guests. My store and district seem to favor the ladies being up front, so it's a huge change of pace!

We've got a bunch of them, current and former.

Good luck on your new job.

Congratulations!

My store has two other male GSAs, though one is extremely part time and is currently on LOA for an internship. And one of our GSTLs is also male. Of course none of them are on the forums, which is how I prefer to keep it. I found that when it comes to manager stuff it seems like the guests listen to the guys better. But I've found the TMs will come to the female GSAs over the guys with stuff. So I think it balances out in someways.

Good luck and let us know how we can support you.

/raise hand.

I'm the only male GSA, and of the front end, we have 1 male GSTM who works a few days a week part of the year, 1 eldery male cashier and 1 16 year old male cashier, and 1 male cart attendant who's officially a cashier 3/4ths of the year.

My store has 1 male cashier, male CA and all other front end TMs/TLs are female!

I was a male GSA for a year and a half :)

In some cases it can be nice because generally the majority of cashiers are female, and I saw a lot of inter-female rivalry that got nasty. Something I didn't really have to deal with :)

I was an extended intern that spent 90% of my time doing GSA/GSTL things at my store and I'm a guy.

And when I left, another guy replaced me as a GSA

I been a gstl for 2 yrs and im a male but we are a really busy store we have 3 gstls and 3 gsas so i am the only male not saying alot...

When I first started we had 3 out of 5 GSA's that were male, and one of our 2 GSTL's was male. Also a couple of GSTM's that are guys. We've since replaced two of the three GSA's with females. Male GSA's don't seem to stick around at the front end very long!

I've been a male GSA in 2 different stores now. I've worked with 11 other GSTLs/GSAs and 3 different ETL-GEs, and they've all been female.

The only issues I ever run into are the darn restroom checks. Every other TL does the women's restroom check while the CA does the men's. On my shifts, I have to remember to pull a female cashier off register to do the check for me every hour. Easy to forget when it gets busy!

Yeah those Restroom checks were annoying as a guy. Was constantly being reminded by female leaders that I need someone to do them -- FFS why don't they?? -_-

Yeah those Restroom checks were annoying as a guy. Was constantly being reminded by female leaders that I need someone to do them -- FFS why don't they?? -_-

Interesting. Must be a store thing, I've done restroom checks in the ladies room a few times myself. I check to make sure that there is no one in there, and I put up the "restroom closed" sign for the minute I'm poking around in there.

I've only been in the female restroom once, and that was at 8am (when I was still a Cart Attendant), GSTL had me go in for a mess.

They make our male cart attendants do the restrooms, both the women's and men's. Guests complain about it all the time.

Doing the restroom check up for the men's bathroom as a female is much easier than doing the women's bathroom as a male. It seems as if there is constantly someone in the women's restroom. Usually the guys either have me do it or take over for another female cashier so they can do it...because otherwise it's just a serious pain in the butt for them.

We've had a pretty even mix up there since I've been with Spot. We've had two male GSTLs and two male GSAs since I've been there. All have left or are about to leave for greener pastures. There's actually only one GSTL/GSA left from the bunch that was there when I was hired almost 3 years ago!

At my store, we have only female GSTLs and GSAs. Most of the cashiers are female, except for two or three guys, and all of the cart attendants are dudes.

I'm a male GSTL, I definitely feel like the ETLs and Guests respect me more than my other GSTL and GSAs but the female TM do not like it when I coach them. They run to HR and tell them that I am picking on them and calling them out. But they could care less

Never seen or heard of a male gsa or gstl I've been to over 10 stores. I almost thought they only hire females for the front of the store for appeal? Congratulations on your new role

I'm a male GSA. Actually, I'm the only male front-end team member.

Word of advice: stay out if the drama, it will consume you.

At my store most of the cashiers are female... like one out of ten are men. I had worked at the Guest Service desk for well over 2 years and, after repeated requests, finally agreed to become a GSA. I had watched many GSAs quickly burn out so I entered the position knowing the expectations and just won't allow the stress at times to bother me.

Even though I miss the Guest Service desk, I am actually enjoying the GSA position. Most times I do indeed "vibe" and at times am "bold" with making a guest happy. But, as someone had written above, when I do have to say "no", I think my response is more respected as an older male GSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back