Archived "I'm calling to check on my application..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for other HRTMs:

What do you tell applicants who have been turned down (either before or after an interview) when they ask about their status? I'm just curious what other people do. It's always awkward for me because I can hear the crushed dreams in peoples voices before they hang up...

I've been at Tsc when there have been these convos depends on the tm. Our long time hrtm will straight up tell them they didn't get it. The other tm will usually lie and say that it was their availability or that they went with another person

I check the application history. If a message has been sent to them I just tell them to check their email and call back if they have any questions. If they haven't received a message yet, I tell them it is still being reviewed and we will contact them either over the phone or through email.
If they have had an interview and they insist to know more I just tell them that they didn't meet our business needs at this time but their application will stay in our system for 60 days and if anything comes up, we will give them a call. If they want they can apply again at the end of the 60 days.

I usually make an effort to call everyone with open availability and some experience and at the first screening I will usually remember why they haven't been chosen to come in for an interview: sometimes they are very rude and not friendly, or couldn't even explain what position they would like, or speak horrible English.
If by any chance someone that didn't have open availability or no listed work experience calls, I'll tell them why their application is not meeting the store needs but I'll ask them if that has changed or if they have more information that I can use to review their application.

I struggled a lot to come up with a polite/kinda straight forward script. Once you find yours it'll be easier :)

"Communication was sent out to the email address you provided but thank you for calling to check on the status. Unfortunately at this time your application doesn't fit with our current needs. Your application will stay on file and active for 60 days so if anything else becomes available, we will refer back to your file and give you a call." If they had an interview and were turned down because of their interview I will say, "Communication was sent to the email address you provided but thank you for calling to check on the status. Unfortunately we have decided to go with another applicant that better suited our current needs. Your application will stay on file and active for 60 days. So please try not to be discouraged. If anything else opens up, we will review your application." Keep it light and simple and never go into details. Hope this helps.

I reply similar to KillerQueen's above message. Mine goes like:
Thank you for following up on your application. Unfortunately, at this time your application doesn't fit with our current business needs. Your application will stay on file and should there be a position that becomes available that also matches your interests and skill set, then we will reach out and contact you. Again, thank you for your interest in applying with Target.

Hi! I filled out my application a few days ago and today I got a denial letter email saying

"Thank you for taking the time to apply with us. We are unable to offer you a position at this time, but we do appreciate your interest in Target."
And the email was sent at 3:19 AM which I find somewhat weird.

I have good work history, open availability and I'm smart lol
Their website said they had positions available so why would I get this email? I'm confused.

Any thoughts? I feel like it has something to do with that awful question test they make you do at the end of the application. Maybe I answered them wrong. I feel like I answered them more as a manager stand point than a team player stand point. I'm not sure but can you tell me what my next move should be?
Thanks a bunch!

Any good HR has a corporate script lined up ready to fire. Unfortunately this is better than trying to go into any detail about why they weren't hired.

hardlinesmaster- was that to me? Why does their website say positions are available? It shows a lot of positions available

Hi! I filled out my application a few days ago and today I got a denial letter email saying

"Thank you for taking the time to apply with us. We are unable to offer you a position at this time, but we do appreciate your interest in Target."
And the email was sent at 3:19 AM which I find somewhat weird.

I have good work history, open availability and I'm smart lol
Their website said they had positions available so why would I get this email? I'm confused.

Any thoughts? I feel like it has something to do with that awful question test they make you do at the end of the application. Maybe I answered them wrong. I feel like I answered them more as a manager stand point than a team player stand point. I'm not sure but can you tell me what my next move should be?
Thanks a bunch!
Could also be the personality test, if you fail that your application is automatically declined.

Could also be the personality test, if you fail that your application is automatically declined.
Right. That's what I'm wondering. I'm not sure how long it's been since you've taken it but it's a lot different then it was the last time I took it.
I feel like I made myself maybe seen too authoritive. It was a really annoying test and I'm pretty sure my personality is as normal as can be. So that's annoying haha

So should I apply again and take the test over? Or is it too soon. I would call but it obviously will do me no good after reading the comments above haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back