Archived I'm getting in trouble for being told the wrong info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I work at the Food Avenue right and my usual hours are from 4:00 PM to 8:30 PM. Usually I end up clocking out at 9:00 PM. (We'll get to this)

Anyways, on my first time on closing hours I made sure I rushed so I could clock out in time but in doing so I was told that I forgot to do a few things. Everything was done, but they told me that I forgot to sweep the floors and dry some utensils and take out all the trash. I took note of this and told them that I forgot to since I was rushing to make sure I don't stay past my clock out time and I was told that it's fine as long as it's not an hour. (I was told that they'd understand by one of the trainers at Food Ave)

So after a few more closing shifts it still took me to 9:00 PM because of having to sweep the floor and make sure the trash is empty, clean all the kitchen equipment, etc. So, they were asking me why it takes me so long and I explained that swarms of customers at one moment interfere with me being able to clock out on time and also all the stuff I have to do. Of course, this falls on deaf ears and they don't allow that as an excuse.
Personally, I find that kind of rude considering they don't have to make sure everything is perfectly clean since some of the people here just have to do their job and go while I have to take orders and clean up the whole place at the same time.

When I mention sweeping, they cut me off and mention that I'm not supposed to sweep. Surprised at this, I respond to them that I was told that I was supposed to sweep, but they still hold it against me for some reason. Even though, if I had not been told to sweep thoroughly it would have drastically decreased my time to clean up. Since, for example, one time I took out and replaced all the trash bags but one of the customers I had served was still in the store and ended up dumping their trash after I left. I try to explain this possibility too since there's nothing I can really do about that, but they just write it off as me being clumsy.

I'm sure that I'm not 100% innocent since I do think I should work out ways to speed up somehow but I found it kinda insensitive that I'm getting chewed out by people who haven't even done a closing shift at the Food Ave. They've done day shifts, but with that it's easy to get out on time since all you do is serve customers, keep watch on things, and leave when the next guy comes in. My shift requires me to do pretty much all that, but also closing at the same time.

Here's my time management
4:00-5:00: Pretzel in warmer and clean the machine also serve customers
5:00-5:30: Take time temperatures and serve customers.
*Break* ( I don't get to choose when to have it )
5:45-6:20: Hotdog in warmer and clean hotdog steamer.
6:30-7:00: customers here always (I want to clean popcorn here)
7:00-7:35: Put popcorn in bags and clean out the entire popcorn machine and dry it and blhblah you get the drift
7:40-7:55: Clean the counters, lock soda and freezer, clean untensils, throw out food
7:55-8:30: clean the tables, sweep the entire floor(takes up most time since), take out trash, cardboard
8:40-9:00: putting away the trash, QMOS, returning the keys,
My main issue here would be the customers and sweeping the floor since if I take out the trash ahead of time I get told that I'm not taking out the trash even though some customer put it there after I cleaned up. Same goes for the floor. With not having to sweep the floor and make sure the trash bags are completely empty I think I can reduce my time a lot by like 30 minutes and from now on I'll try to clean the popcorn machine at 6:30.
I wish they gave more training for closing hours. I know how to handle any other shift really well but I only got one day of training for closing so ehh.
I'm more frustrated at the miscommunication between the departments.

Last edited:
Welcome! When did you get your checklist signed off on? Cleaning crew usually sweeps & cleans the floor after the store closes or early in the morning,

Depending on your store operations, the cleaning crew for most stores are responsible for floors and trash. The only time I ever took trash to the back was for closings before Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas where cleaning crews were not coming in.

Your FA should be equipped with a drying rack

Food Ave used to be a lot harder. But its all about time management. Ask if there any shortcuts or timesavers to clean stuff. My stores at one time said not to close or start cleaning until closing, but we only had 30min-1hr to close. I always ignored it. I always came in communicated with the leaving TM, started my food prep, weekly cleaning/maintenance, usually about 2 hours from closing I start my cleaning. Usually throwing hot foods in the warmer, cleaning the equipment, then lining the equipment with paper, and return the food until closing.

Communicate with your FATL (GSTL over FA) on what actually needs to be done for closing FA.

But if you need to take some extra time to close FA, communicate that to the FATL, ETL or GSTL/GSA. There were times where I was bum-rushed all night, and it took me till past the store closing to clean it properly.

We keep 90% of our popcorn in bags and only pop some more when we need to bag some more. This way you can start closing it much earlier when you get a break in guest traffic.
We do the same with the pretzel machine, we prep a bunch of pretzels 4 hours ahead of closing,then we wash the containers one at a time and stack the pretzels in. Butter goes into a 12oz cup with the brush, one station down :)
We also use hotdogs paper (to go) to line our pretzel tray in the hopes we a keep it clean and not have to rewash it.
We do not have a steamer for the hotdog, can't help you there, we are also a Pizza Hut so the dishwasher makes things a little faster for us.
I also attach the drink station early, wash the counters really good and watch it like a hawk and try to maintain it as much as I can, makes life easier come closing time.
Try sweeping earlier, then you only have to spot sweep whatever mess was left by your guests afterwards(we take the mats up in the front 3hrs ahead, dont need them). We sweep behind FA around 3 hours ahead of closing and only have to retouch for the popcorn and in the back where we leave the mats down til closer to close due to water on the floor thanks to the dishwasher.
For the qmos.... I let my team qmos a little before close and whatever else they throw away I have them add it to tomorrow sheet, makes it easier for them and on a weekly bases it evens out. This way they are not forgetting or struggle to get it done.

Lastly the trash. We start clearing some of it ahead and block the hole with a food tray, we have a Starbucks so we have 4 trash total for the guests, missing 3 is not gonna kill them in the last 30 minutes or so. Same with the back, I keep the one that is the least full and empty the rest, this way I only have 1 in the back and 1 in front to grab after close.

Hope this helps, I have closing down to a science, even we a pizza Hut we can get out on time ever on weekends. Pm me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back