I'm worried about my status as an aspiring leader.

A couple of weeks ago, I talked to my ETL (General Merchandise) about becoming a Team Leader. We eventually sat down for a brief little interview where she asked me my strengths, my preferred department, and near future plans for my training and development. She had mentioned things like me being a general designated Sales Floor Leader every Sunday, being put in charge of the overnight Christmas set, and other things that would help me train and develop as a future leader and I've been hoping for her to help me along the way.

But just a few days ago, I got word that this same ETL has put in her two weeks notice. I can tell by her overall mood and body language that she's stopped caring about this job now. She's clearly phoning it in for her remaining time at Target and I can't help but be a little worried about how that may affect my status as an aspiring Leader. There are a couple of other Leaders who are aware of my aspirations and for the past week, all of our store's ETL's have been having constant status meetings. I would think that those meetings would involve news of Team Members who wish to be Leaders, but I'm not 100% sure.

My big worry is that my departing GM ETL will neglect everything in the past couple of weeks that involved my hopes for a Lead position. As I said, she's clearly stopped caring about this job ever since she put in her notice and now I'm worried that my leadership aspirations will completely fly under the radar.

Spot had performance your etl out. Get a letter of reference from them. There are jobs outside of spot, will take you.
With all due respect, where do you get the “performance out” part?
We are living in the great resignation, where opportunities are abundant. I know al least 6 ETLs in our district alone that moved on to other jobs…

With all due respect, where do you get the “performance out” part?
We are living in the great resignation, where opportunities are abundant. I onow al least 6 ETLs in our district alone that moved on to other jobs…
I had 3 etl performance out or quit in 6 months this year.

Gotta get in front of your SD and the other ETLs in the store. Pick up shifts and hours all over the store. Talk to your SD. Make sure everyone gets a positive impression of you. Don’t be grumpy or upset about anything, just make it clear what you want.

I’ve been working at this store for seven years and all of the Leaders view me in a very positive light. I was recently included in the handful of team members who got that 200 dollar bonus for performance.

They all like me, it’s just a matter of them knowing that I’m striving to be a leader.

I’ve been working at this store for seven years and all of the Leaders view me in a very positive light. I was recently included in the handful of team members who got that 200 dollar bonus for performance.

They all like me, it’s just a matter of them knowing that I’m striving to be a leader.
Gotta just keep going, opportunities are opening everywhere. Don't limit yourself to spot though. Think about what it means to be a good leader. Coach your peers and help them develop. Its not enough to be a good tm.

Then just keep reminding them that you are interested. If everyone thinks you would make a good choice it’s pretty easy. Practice your interview skills.

A couple of weeks ago, I talked to my ETL (General Merchandise) about becoming a Team Leader. We eventually sat down for a brief little interview where she asked me my strengths, my preferred department, and near future plans for my training and development. She had mentioned things like me being a general designated Sales Floor Leader every Sunday, being put in charge of the overnight Christmas set, and other things that would help me train and develop as a future leader and I've been hoping for her to help me along the way.

But just a few days ago, I got word that this same ETL has put in her two weeks notice. I can tell by her overall mood and body language that she's stopped caring about this job now. She's clearly phoning it in for her remaining time at Target and I can't help but be a little worried about how that may affect my status as an aspiring Leader. There are a couple of other Leaders who are aware of my aspirations and for the past week, all of our store's ETL's have been having constant status meetings. I would think that those meetings would involve news of Team Members who wish to be Leaders, but I'm not 100% sure.

My big worry is that my departing GM ETL will neglect everything in the past couple of weeks that involved my hopes for a Lead position. As I said, she's clearly stopped caring about this job ever since she put in her notice and now I'm worried that my leadership aspirations will completely fly under the radar.
You will have to prove yourself to your new etl and start the conversation again.

being put in charge of the overnight Christmas set, and other things that would help me train and develop as a future leader
This won’t do anything for you. There’s a team for it , the set it’s easy . The freight is different how you manage that freight . Sea is the only department that changes every 3 months . Owning that department would show if you can strive as a leader . Learning and managing the most freight in the store will put you in a different light, ptm getting it all out in time for the next set etc.

If you haven't had conversations or been approached about being a TL already, your store doesn't view you as leadership material.

My store has never done leadership in the vain of approaching people who work the hardest. The unfortunate reality of my store is that you have to start the conversation and do a lot of butt-kissing to get to a good spot.

Our current market leader is one of the laziest, most bitter and miserable person I’ve ever met, but she still got the role because she knew how to approach and brown nose to the right people.

This won’t do anything for you. There’s a team for it , the set it’s easy . The freight is different how you manage that freight . Sea is the only department that changes every 3 months . Owning that department would show if you can strive as a leader . Learning and managing the most freight in the store will put you in a different light, ptm getting it all out in time for the next set etc.

They just recently made me the DBO for seasonal, at least for Halloween, and they’ll be putting me in charge of the backroom Halloween purge.

off topic, but wait, which bonus is that? is that the one the other thread is talking about being this october/fall?

They just recently made me the DBO for seasonal, at least for Halloween, and they’ll be putting me in charge of the backroom Halloween purge.
Purge already? You want to protect inf Don’t mess up your counts do your 141 for now . You will still get freight until mid October. Last purge by dc for mini is October 20th
Don’t forget tomorrow is one day only 40% costumes and accessories and 30% packages candy and snack. This is your opportunity to make sales and raise that comp

If you haven't had conversations or been approached about being a TL already, your store doesn't view you as leadership material.
I would agree that YOUR STORE doesn't think you are management material but that doesn't mean you aren't one.

Interview outside of Target and state you talked your ETL about going into management.

However since they left you feel that you want to leave Target because you have to reestablish a new relationship with your the new ETL.

Good luck.

I would agree that YOUR STORE doesn't think you are management material but that doesn't mean you aren't one.

Interview outside of Target and state you talked your ETL about going into management.

However since they left you feel that you want to leave Target because you have to reestablish a new relationship with your the new ETL.

Good luck.
I wouldnt say they dont think you are management material, but people are greedy and probably just dont want to lose a hard working tm. They use you and will dangle the carrot of a promotion to get keep you working hard. Keep pressing your leadership team and make sure if there is any openings you are pushing for it. Have your etl and tl start a succession plan or whatever they call it with an actual timeline to go off of. Itll help you stay on track with what you need to improve on and keep your name i mind if anything comes up

I wouldnt say they dont think you are management material, but people are greedy and probably just dont want to lose a hard working tm. They use you and will dangle the carrot of a promotion to get keep you working hard. Keep pressing your leadership team and make sure if there is any openings you are pushing for it. Have your etl and tl start a succession plan or whatever they call it with an actual timeline to go off of. Itll help you stay on track with what you need to improve on and keep your name i mind if anything comes up

Off the top of your head, do you know if Target keeps any tangible, physical records of TM's who wish to be a TL? Like, typing up some type of report and saving it, keeping them on file type of thing?

Make an appointment to speak to your SD. Tell him you're interested and ask for "developmental activities". It's part of their job as SD/ETL to develop TM into TLs. Tell your ETL-HR too. Leadership is leaving Target so fast, they're always looking for new TLs.

Good luck.
No no no. Bad advice. Don’t say this in a job interview.

Off the top of your head, do you know if Target keeps any tangible, physical records of TM's who wish to be a TL? Like, typing up some type of report and saving it, keeping them on file type of thing?
Back in the day they were actually selecting tm for development and once they promoted to leadership would select them for additional development classes at the dsd office . Back in the day

No no no. Bad advice. Don’t say this in a job interview.
Explain why you think this is bad advice.

If your ETL left the company you now have to prove to your new ETL that you are management material which might take six months to a year.

Therefore you are back to square one in the the process.

However if your new ETL is already in the store and knows you that's a different situation.

Back