Archived Import Warehouses

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the near future, I'm planning on making the move from store backroom to the DC-level, and in the course of my research, I found that we also operate 4 import warehouses (VA, GE, CA, and WA). Spot's website was pretty vague on what goes on there and the positions/type of work involved there. I'm guessing they act as middle men between DC's/stores and overseas vendors and distributors. Can anyone shed some light of the various postions there and what they do, and if the pay for said jobs are comparable to DC jobs? Thanks

Quit trying to send me guests! I'lll take a WAVe preferably the 118" lift height variant please :)

Now I'm not really the person to ask as to day to day operations within A IW, as my direct knowledge of them is kinda limited. I do know that my GL has said the level of automation is lower than that typically found in a RDC, and according to TGTwiki the IW's operate a shoe sorter as opposed to the more traditional tilt tray sorter. I've been trying to find out for a while if the IW's act as FTZ's for tax reasons, I'm going to have to assume yes. I do know that the IW's preform some of the basic functions of a DC in that they break down incoming freight from overseas vendors and deliver it to the DC's, you know how it goes, We don't need an entire container of microwaves when we're only sending 300 to our stores this week.

Now there used to be a member here that went from the Store backroom to an IW, I just can't remember the user name off the top of my head.

Hello! I think I might be the only active IW worker! Whooo

Anyway to answer your questions, an IW is really just a glorified storage site. We have Inbound and Outbound and during the slow season (some) IW's run Decon. Unlike DC's our inbound and outbound teams work on both their respective docks as well as warehouse work, and when volumes demand it you can also end up working in the other departments dock (inbound to outbound's dock and vise versa). So work in an IW isn't quite as static as say an RDC but your still doing the same thing, moving a box from point a to point b. Also I know at least two of our IW's are HUGE, both the ones in WA and GA are very large, in-fact here is some interesting trivia for everyone...

Look at number 2 : O
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_buildings_in_the_world

I'm quite positive pay is LARGELY dependent on the local pay of other warehouses in your area/state, however I will say, I get paid quite well in comparison to some of the other warehouses in my area. With that said, if you want to work overtime then RDC's is where it's at (at least for now). Also the jump from the store to the DC level was huge for me in terms of job satisfaction, you still have that odd Target fakeness from management but it's not nearly as bad.

If you have any more questions I normally check the boards once a week or so, but i'll try to check more often to reply back to ya.

I've been trying to find out for a while if the IW's act as FTZ's for tax reasons, I'm going to have to assume yes.
I can squash that one for ya, we don't. HOWEVER!, we do have a deconsolidator(s) who deals with alot of the freight right off the ports who then send it off to IW's or to the RDC's. But they are contracted out and not directly apart of Target per-se. Although we do receive containers right off the ports and when we have decon during the slow season we basically do the same job as them. Sooooo if Target dose have a FTZ it may not even be them and I know it's not us.

Quit trying to send me guests! I'lll take a WAVe preferably the 118" lift height variant please :)

But the only way to make the last one happy without giving him the entire contents of 239 was to give him a ride home, and the driver forgot and brought him to you.

I would let you borrow the extra WAVe that's been floating around, but I'm not certified to operate it, so I can't load it for you. Sorry! Here's a pallet jack instead.

You know we have some spare ETLs that aren't really doing anything.
Maybe we could pack them up and send them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back