Archived In a pickle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a temporary account for anonymity, i'm very active on my main account. I'm in a bind, and could use some advice. Here is the situation.

A team member told our STL I sexually harassed her, and has spread the rumor around her work center. I was pulled in to HR office, not told exactly what i allegedly said, who accused me, or even when the accusations were made. I was placed on corrective action. I told the HR i did not say anything sexual, and i hardly ever even talk to that person(I'm 99% sure i know who made the accusation). She said she had evidence otherwise, but declined to say what the evidence was. I told the HR i would be calling the team member hotline, and HR told me the hotline would simply call to verify that an investigation was conducted, and the CA would remain on my record.

I legitimately didn't say anything sexual, i hardly ever even swear! Who can give me some advice? I really love working at spot (most days) and was hoping to advance up in the company, but this isn't feasible with a sexual harassment stain on my record

Don't let HR intimidate you. Call the hotline, tell them your story. You should write it down and sort it all out first though so you can be clear on the phone. Best of luck OP.

Thank you. I have never used the hotline before. Do i call while on the clock, or at home, or what? There is really nowhere private to talk at my store. Do you know if the hotline actually investigates claims or do they really just call HR and confirm an investigation. I feel sick to my stomach even thinking about this :/

There are two sides to every story...clearly your HR needs to be reminded of this. IF you are sure you didn't say anything that could even remotely be considered SH...then I would call the hotline for sure.

Thank you. I have never used the hotline before. Do i call while on the clock, or at home, or what? There is really nowhere private to talk at my store. Do you know if the hotline actually investigates claims or do they really just call HR and confirm an investigation. I feel sick to my stomach even thinking about this :/
Don't call on the clock...call on your own time. Sit down write out what you want and need to say when you call...you will be nervous so its only natural you may forget things. Tell the hotline operator everything...the ands, buts, ifs and ors. They will ask you if you tried talking to your Hr ( which you did) they will walk you through the process...its not hard at all. I will say again though...write down what you want to say or at least an outline and check it off as you tell it to the Hotline operator...this way you don't miss anything . They will give you a ref number or report number...you can call back to check on the status of your complaint...write this down and hang on to it. When you call the hotline it generates a report that I know goes to the DTL office and then on to your stl, hr etc. It may also get sent to the person who is over HR for the whole district. However, I am not sure about that one.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Do you think that calling the hotline will put a target on my back, or will affect my hours? I've never even been coached before, I have no idea how any of this works

Thank you so much. Do you think that calling the hotline will put a target on my back, or will affect my hours? I've never even been coached before, I have no idea how any of this works
In your case when you call...they are going to know who called...this is a too specific case. I would try talking to the hr and the stl together about this....and explain to them you didn't do it etc etc and you feel like you are being targeted....then if they give you the same story tell them that you feel you need to call the hotline. They are not suppose to target you after calling...but sadly most of them do...because you called them out on their bs.

Sounds like a transfer or a new job may be in my near future then. I will speak to my HR and STL tomorrow, and call the hotline if still necessary after work tomorrow. I would like to keep updating on this site so maybe someone can guide me or give me advice through all this

Stand up for yourself and don't let them walk all over you....at the same time prepare for the worse and leave yourself an out .

When you call the hotline it generates a report that I know goes to the DTL office and then on to your stl, hr etc. It may also get sent to the person who is over HR for the whole district. However, I am not sure about that one.

You're right. Typically, the DTL and HRBP will both review and follow up with each incident.

Did the ETL actually say "Sexual Harassment"? If so, he erred, as "sexual harassment" is an accusation of a crime. Instead you should have been written up for violation of team member conduct. Check your CA...if anywhere it says "Sexual Harassment", call the hotline and ask what you need to do about being accused of a crime by your ETL's. This will require AP investigation and most likely getting the authorities involved.

If it's just "Team Member Conduct", then you should have had a coaching conversation with your TL or ETL first before the CA was delivered, as I believe this CA requires documented conversations from both team members first.

I can honestly say, having previous HR experience, that calling the hotline does sometime put a target on your back. A lot of times, it results in retaliation from ETLs or your STL, in the form of further coachings or corrective action for the smallest mistakes you make.
If you do call, follow @tgtguy 's advice-write down everything beforehand. And, don't talk to anyone but HR and STL about what you are going through. But, you may want to start looking elsewhere. The thing about sexual harassment-it is subjective. Whether you are guilty or not, that other tm's opinion casts a stigma about you. It is unfair, but true.
Whatever you do, stay away from the tm who accused you-no matter what you say to her, it will only make things worse for you.
I am so sorry you are going through this. That really sucks.

Last edited:
Sadly, even if you do manage to get this completely corrected (as in the CA scrubbed from your record), your chances of advancing upward at your store are tarnished for good. Why would they promote someone who challenged them & proved them wrong? The execs never like that. Being a TL often means licking that ETL booty. Your only option for that now is to transfer stores and hope to secure a promotion there.

If you were put you on CA, they have to go the events and reason for the CA, and have you sign off that you fully understand and accept the conditions of the CA.

Tread lightly from here. I would not recommend directly challenging the CA. I would get the STL involved and request mediation between yourself, HR, and the TM (if possible). And if they can bring in the next level HR rep (District???) as 3rd party if possible. And be sure to document everything. If there was a misunderstanding or false accusation made, then the CA can be dissolved.

More than likely the evidence is the video surveillance or eyewitness. Sexual harrassment may not have been an inappropriate conversation, it might have been a awkward joke, gesture, stare, or touch in passing. If you can recall anything, be sure to look at it from your and the other TM's perspective.

Last edited:
We had TMs accuse one of my TLs of sexual harassment several times throughout the years. Do I think he did it? Yes. Did he get fired? No, because his aunt was an ETL at the store. Most of the TMs who filed the complaint quit because nothing was done and they felt uncomfortable at work. Sorry for starting off topic.

If talking with your STL doesn't help I would contact the hotline. Will you be Targeted? Probably. However, that is a whole other lawsuit if you get targeted for alleged sexual harassment. But you can pull through. Most likely you'll outlast your management team so if you ever want to promote it will happen. Don't get pushed into a corner because some twat made accusations against you. Now if they have evidence then you may be screwed. Even a co-conspirator will be hard to challenge. Keep your head up and defend yourself. I hate when people make false claims against another person.

Keep us posted. Hopefully everything will work out in your favor.

More than anything I hate when a woman makes false claims because they create problems for all the other women who have legitimate complaints.
Getting caught in the middle of something like this is a nightmare.

As everyone as said, document everything in detail and keep documenting it afterwards so if there is backlash you have record of it.
Keep emotion to the minimum, just facts.
Don't let them intimidate you, stand up for yourself if you are right.
Like Mhugh said this whole thing is subjective, something that you thought nothing of might be taken differently by the other TM so tread lightly.

Update: I asked for a copy of the CA, and was told target will not give anything in writing The official CA reason was personal conduct. I asked if AP could confirm I was even present at the time of the allegation. I was denied this too because it was "a waste of resources". I asked for clarification on what the exact allegations, and was told revealing the exact circumstances could reveal what team member reported me, so i could only be told that I was inappropriate and the team member felt intimidated by me.

I have been writing down everything from the interactions and called the hotline right after work. They said there would be a follow-up investigation involving the district leader, and possibly investigation center involvement. I am supposed to see the issue be addressed by the end of the week.

I'm using a temporary account for anonymity, i'm very active on my main account. I'm in a bind, and could use some advice. Here is the situation.

A team member told our STL I sexually harassed her, and has spread the rumor around her work center. I was pulled in to HR office, not told exactly what i allegedly said, who accused me, or even when the accusations were made. I was placed on corrective action. I told the HR i did not say anything sexual, and i hardly ever even talk to that person(I'm 99% sure i know who made the accusation). She said she had evidence otherwise, but declined to say what the evidence was. I told the HR i would be calling the team member hotline, and HR told me the hotline would simply call to verify that an investigation was conducted, and the CA would remain on my record.

I legitimately didn't say anything sexual, i hardly ever even swear! Who can give me some advice? I really love working at spot (most days) and was hoping to advance up in the company, but this isn't feasible with a sexual harassment stain on my record

"Making sexual comments or jokes, or using graphic or sexually degrading language to describe someone". Pg 9 of TM handbook.

You didn't have to say it directly to the TM, could've said she's got nice tits to a couple people who in turn told that TM.

I'm guessing they didn't fire you because A) the TM might not work there anymore B) they need more than one complaint against you.

Update: I asked for a copy of the CA, and was told target will not give anything in writing The official CA reason was personal conduct. I asked if AP could confirm I was even present at the time of the allegation. I was denied this too because it was "a waste of resources". I asked for clarification on what the exact allegations, and was told revealing the exact circumstances could reveal what team member reported me, so i could only be told that I was inappropriate and the team member felt intimidated by me.

I have been writing down everything from the interactions and called the hotline right after work. They said there would be a follow-up investigation involving the district leader, and possibly investigation center involvement. I am supposed to see the issue be addressed by the end of the week.

That's weird, my store always gave me copies of my CA.

"Making sexual comments or jokes, or using graphic or sexually degrading language to describe someone". Pg 9 of TM handbook.

Sad to say you didn't have to say it to her or about her for this one to be an issue. If you told a joke to other TM and she found it offensive (if it was or not) she could report it.
There's a classic case about an executive telling his coworker about the Seinfeld show from the night before where Seinfeld couldn't remember the girls name but it rhymed with a part of a woman's body.
He didn't say anything that wasn't broadcast on national TV but was hit with a behavior suit because he offended a coworker who overheard the conversation.

Last edited:
Least we not make asses of ourselves here. It's not always women who are being harassed, be it sexual or otherwise. In today's day and age, this can also be female harassing male, female harassing female and male harassing male. (These types of problems keep union stewards up at night)
As others have said here, document everything, document whom was in any and all meetings, document, document, document.

OP, the way that this is reading it sounds like some kind of cover up. all I can tell you is that keep to your word. Every lie has a loose thread that unravels the whole thing once pulled. look back through your documentation for a common discrepancy, spot is really good at BSing people but no lie is impervious. But stick to your guns and hold your ground. best of luck to you mate, we're all here for you. keep fighting and never surrender. keelah se'lai.

They have to give you a copy of any corrective action, especially if you request it. (If it is a coaching, you don't get a copy.) Something is fishy. I hope the hotline helps you. Sounds like you are the one being harassed. I hope you come out of this on top, no pun intended. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back