Archived In trouble already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started training this week and was off yesterday (Wednesday). Got a message from TL mid-afternoon asking if I could come into work. Called her back and politely told her I couldn't work it out to come in.

This morning during team meeting, the ETL mentioned how busy they were yesterday and appreciated everyone making such a great team effort to get everything done yesterday, while giving me a sideways look.

So, am I already in trouble here? I mean - I have a family and can't just drop everything to pick up a shift on short notice. Any insight would be appreciated.

You won't/shouldn't get in trouble for not picking up a shift out of the blue.
Thanks for answering. Yeah, I wouldn't normally think so, but I sorta feel like the ETL was making a point with me. Kind of got me worried I was off to a bad start.

Family comes first. Spot loves to under schedule, and then call people in if it gets busy. Some ETLs apparently like to think that everyone spends their days off waiting to be called in, and then get ticked off when they find out that’s their kool-aid illusion and not everyone else’s reality. They shouldn’t hold it against you for not coming in, and cross your fingers that the ETL doesn’t hold a grudge. Good luck!

There are no guarantees. You could be seen as a non team player.

Hmmm, well if that's the expectations, then that's going to be a problem with me continuing to work there. I've got little kids that can't be left alone. Can't just drop everything and come running whenever they need me. Never promised them I had that latitude. I can work my schedule, be on time, and work my a@# off when I'm there, but I can't be "on-call," Thanks for your frankness, this is what I sensed. Looks like maybe I should re-evaluate working for Spot. Oh, well.........

You shouldn't be in trouble BUT, know that when you work for Target any expectations that you have a life are definitely mistaken, at least at the stores I'm familiar with. That's how it comes to be that you are required to have open availability and may yet get irregular/no hours

I can't imagine anyone would be mad that you said no, unless you complain that you don't get enough hours.

tm's at my store decline or even ignore call-ins all the time including myself. i honestly wouldn't worry about it, but your ETL is a jerk if they are trying to make you feel guilty about it. the only thing that matters is showing up to your scheduled shifts on time and minimizing call outs.

I can't imagine anyone would be mad that you said no, unless you complain that you don't get enough hours.
Nope. I was hired with the understanding that I only wanted to work about 20 hours a week at most. Paying daycare to cover more hours than that would cause me to lose money.

tm's at my store decline or even ignore call-ins all the time including myself. i honestly wouldn't worry about it, but your ETL is a jerk if they are trying to make you feel guilty about it. the only thing that matters is showing up to your scheduled shifts on time and minimizing call outs.
I sensed more than trying to make me feel guilty. More like disappointment I didn't drop everything and come in. ……….Yeah, if this is the deal, I'm thinking this isn't for me.

Started training this week and was off yesterday (Wednesday). Got a message from TL mid-afternoon asking if I could come into work. Called her back and politely told her I couldn't work it out to come in.

This morning during team meeting, the ETL mentioned how busy they were yesterday and appreciated everyone making such a great team effort to get everything done yesterday, while giving me a sideways look.

So, am I already in trouble here? I mean - I have a family and can't just drop everything to pick up a shift on short notice. Any insight would be appreciated.
Picking up shifts is optional.
They cannot force you to work shifts when you are not scheduled.

Nope. Dont worry. Just their personal opinion if that's even what it was. Leave it be and move on. Maybe pick a shift up if ever asked again, and work hard, go the distance. You're just fine.

I almost never answer my phone when I see it's work calling. Time off is time off...Now, one time my TL texted me asking if I could come in early and I was like...ya know what that's a lot less annoying than a phone call, sure, be right there. 😅

But my point is, my Leads have never once mentioned that I dont pick up shifts/answer the phone when they call. So no worries about it, it might have been busy but I'm sure they called other peeps who also said no. Annoyance was probably not addressed to you in particular.

Last edited:
Don't worry. You are probably reading into the situation too much. The ETL's at my store understand that you can't always drop everything and come in. Don't quit just yet. Give it a little time. Things are a little hectic with Easter and all. Next week, things will be a little more low key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back