Archived incident report question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres an example story

u are operating the crown and one of your finger crushed by it against some obstacles (flats, tubs, wall, etc)
U got a bruise on your finger and its swollen.... but nothing more than that, your finger is gonna live, just bruise and swollen.

then your TL asked you, "do u want me to file an incident report abt it?"

what should you say?

if yes, why? whats gonna happen?
if no, why? whats not gonna happen?

yes, in case, it doesnt get better by the next day. if you have broken the skin & made contact with metal. you might need a tetanus shot.
be safe & smart, report it.

Yes, but why does he ask? Isn't that suppose to be automatically reported?

Is there pros and cons for reporting an injury?

Pro? You're reporting it and it can be taken care of on target's dime if there's a problem.
Con? You're not telling your employer an accident happened on their property. If there's a problem after the fact, insurance can't be sure the incident actually happened at work, and you'll end up having to pay for it.

Yeah last week I strained my back lifting something and filled out a report. Went for a drug test and to their doctor. Got pills and a couple weeks of physical therpy out of it, all on Target's dime. Plus if you're hurt, you can get out of your normal work. I can only lift/push/pull up to 20 lbs and management can't really get on me for working too slow.

Only con is if there is ANY question whatsoever that it could be denied by workman's comp. In general, these companies work hard to get out of paying claims and will deny, deny, deny if at all possible. I've seen people get very screwed over for anything that involves long-term treatment. At that point, if you have health insurance, it's generally just easier to send it through the health insurance, deny that it could have been anything work related, and be done with it. Because if your health insurance finds out that it might be work related, they will deny it and tell you to go to workman's comp...and then if they've both denied it, you're screwed in the middle unless you get a lawyer.

Basically, I've seen too many legitimate cases of workman's comp go sour to trust it much.

I have done this several times over the years. Never reported it :wacko: Just a little swollen? not really a big deal to me.

Best thing is to report it just in case. You truly dont really have to fill out paperwork right off the bat. As long as you tell someone something happened you can go 48 hours with no paperwork, unless its serious which I would hope you would report that anyhow. Other then this affects their safety metrics for the store, your store wont mind especially if your put on light duty of ANY kind. At this point your store charges out all your hours to insurance.
I got hurt a few months back and payroll was tight. They put me on light duty, was nothing serious in my mind but all the ETL's that seen the video pretty much made me go, LOL. But when I came back and was fine the store manager kept telling me, tell the doctor you need more time with light duty. She was happy she was charging out all my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back