Incredible amount of store drama

So, I have no idea how to preface this, but I have never worked at a store like this in my 10 years of working retail jobs.

Without giving too much away, I live in one of the major three cities in the USA and work for a Target in said city. I started working for Target a few months ago, and without naming my department, I will say I have had nothing but a negative experience.

First, I was thrown right into work the same day as my orientation. I had experience with said department due to a past job. This was a red flag, but I figured maybe people had called off and they needed someone as a buffer. This lead to me closing said department by myself even though I had never worked for Target before, and hadn’t even had training because my orientation was the same day.

Coworker drama is at all time highs. There is constant drama over everyone who works at every department, and said drama spills out into basically every single department even if you are not in said department. SDs and other district managers are at our stores on a regular basis, and we recently had two people all out and quit. I have personally had ETLs tell me that I need to do more to keep the store going, and have had the DM for my department come over and yell at me unprovoked.

I have had coworkers complain on a constant basis when things aren’t done to the standard they want, whether or not it is done correctly. This has caused a lot of stress in my personal life, as I am always wondering what terrible thing I have done to warrant being yelled at by my coworkers on any given day.

I can go on, but the environment is incredibly toxic. Turnover is high and, even working at some of the most understaffed and decrepit places does not compare to my experience here. Is this a common thing amongst Target as a whole, especially in major cities? I would quit, but I am currently providing for myself and my girlfriend, and I would likely be ineligible for unemployment if I did so.

I would not say this represents Target as a whole and I don't think your store being in a major city is necessarily a defining reason the atmosphere is so toxic.

Complaining about work is kind of a part of working in retail, however, how the complaints manifest are not universal. For myself, sarcastic criticism mixed with alternate suggestions is my go-to. Others take a whining toddler approach. It sounds like your store has several who like to stir the pot and create animosity which others then feed off of.

I’m sorry this has been your experience. My store would never put someone by themselves on the same day as orientation. We usually pair them up with a training buddy for the first several shifts they work. Right now hours are very tight and the workload has not decreased. We are spread thin and people are on edge.

I’m sorry this has been your experience. My store would never put someone by themselves on the same day as orientation. We usually pair them up with a training buddy for the first several shifts they work. Right now hours are very tight and the workload has not decreased. We are spread thin and people are on edge.

The only time I could potentially see this, is at Starbucks. If someone came here already as a trained barista and the closing partner called out, it would leave the new person alone. It would suck and should never happen.

So, I have no idea how to preface this, but I have never worked at a store like this in my 10 years of working retail jobs.

Without giving too much away, I live in one of the major three cities in the USA and work for a Target in said city. I started working for Target a few months ago, and without naming my department, I will say I have had nothing but a negative experience.

First, I was thrown right into work the same day as my orientation. I had experience with said department due to a past job. This was a red flag, but I figured maybe people had called off and they needed someone as a buffer. This lead to me closing said department by myself even though I had never worked for Target before, and hadn’t even had training because my orientation was the same day.

Coworker drama is at all time highs. There is constant drama over everyone who works at every department, and said drama spills out into basically every single department even if you are not in said department. SDs and other district managers are at our stores on a regular basis, and we recently had two people all out and quit. I have personally had ETLs tell me that I need to do more to keep the store going, and have had the DM for my department come over and yell at me unprovoked.

I have had coworkers complain on a constant basis when things aren’t done to the standard they want, whether or not it is done correctly. This has caused a lot of stress in my personal life, as I am always wondering what terrible thing I have done to warrant being yelled at by my coworkers on any given day.

I can go on, but the environment is incredibly toxic. Turnover is high and, even working at some of the most understaffed and decrepit places does not compare to my experience here. Is this a common thing amongst Target as a whole, especially in major cities? I would quit, but I am currently providing for myself and my girlfriend, and I would likely be ineligible for unemployment if I did so.
yes. u basically described my store. Theres always drama in every department including mine where unbelievable expectations on us. 30 minutes per uboat, or some nonsense and one of our lead has mood swings, so one minute this lead is happy, the next minute throwing tantrums, bitching and always whispering to us about being coached and written up, like shut the hell up. spring summer fall is where most of the time, target focuses on the detailing and straightening out slow or lazy workers. they let go or intimidate people around this time. ive noticed this in my 10+ tenure. we already had 4 quit in my dept alone within a month. we are planning on 2 more including myself. im currently searching atm. targets a great company but the people you work with makes working there really terrible.

Pretty sure a lot of Target stores are like that, My store has drama and some soft ass workers who like to talk shit and be a snowflake. I don’t think all are like that but Target lies about it’s workplace environment and culture, It’s toxic because they hire the most soft types of people.

yes. u basically described my store. Theres always drama in every department including mine where unbelievable expectations on us. 30 minutes per uboat, or some nonsense and one of our lead has mood swings, so one minute this lead is happy, the next minute throwing tantrums, bitching and always whispering to us about being coached and written up, like shut the hell up. spring summer fall is where most of the time, target focuses on the detailing and straightening out slow or lazy workers. they let go or intimidate people around this time. ive noticed this in my 10+ tenure. we already had 4 quit in my dept alone within a month. we are planning on 2 more including myself. im currently searching atm. targets a great company but the people you work with makes working there really terrible.
It’s only a great company to those if you can promoted by sucking up to higher ups, I honestly think it’s not that great unless you are talking about how much money a lot of stores make and that the pay and benefits are real nice.

Gimme more Fresh Step, where are the bale wires? Ears turned off. Jobs got done. punch out. Leave. Repeat....and repeat.....

Pretty sure a lot of Target stores are like that, My store has drama and some soft ass workers who like to talk shit and be a snowflake. I don’t think all are like that but Target lies about it’s workplace environment and culture, It’s toxic because they hire the most soft types of people.
Stores have drama because management allows it. My team would not dare yell at each other. I won’t hire or keep drama. If you want to have drama you’re going to have the worst area with the fewest hours.

Very little that I saw at the store from Neptune. I never saw much because I was like Mike Rowe, did the dirty jobs per my request. I liked working alone, set my own goals and standards and got it done. Had a million years of blue blazers and regimental ties, meetings and expense accounts. Gimme a broom and a pair of work gloves any day.

Stores have drama because management allows it. My team would not dare yell at each other. I won’t hire or keep drama. If you want to have drama you’re going to have the worst area with the fewest hours.
I’m saying, If someone tries to give me shit, Ima tell em to worry about yourself and stfu.

I’m saying, If someone tries to give me shit, Ima tell em to worry about yourself and stfu.
I'm saying that if the person giving you shit thinks they will be backed up by management, that's a management issue. Management should make it clear that it's no one's place but theirs to call out someone else. The team should teach each other, not correct each other.

I'm saying that if the person giving you shit thinks they will be backed up by management, that's a management issue. Management should make it clear that it's no one's place but theirs to call out someone else. The team should teach each other, not correct each other.
As long as it ain’t personal, I’ll try and help someone out, But Target Management seems to be a joke at a lot of stores in this country.

Amen. Thats why HR said my "TM" conflict was now a formal investigation into leadership. What they allow will continue. Its been almost a year of stalking by TOTM. Seems leadership been in on it.

Amen. Thats why HR said my "TM" conflict was now a formal investigation into leadership. What they allow will continue. Its been almost a year of stalking by TOTM. Seems leadership been in on it.
You need to find an escape and fast. It's pretty ballsy for HR to tell you that you're screwed, leadership is supporting this stalking, that your complaints will not be listened to. I guess HR really has their protective ducks in a row since they think telling you flat out nothing will be done won't result in a harassment case.

HR on most levels doesn't give a flying fuck about rank and file TM's. Youngsters don't understand this. It's historic. Put your shit where it belongs on the shelves, keep talk to a minimum, don't argue, be on time, do your job as best you can.

If you feel that they are counting on you to keep your department running, whatever they say they won’t fire you as long as you show up and do your best . It’s always their tactics to push TMs to work more and more by complaining and threatening . Ignore if possible and continue doing your work. If you don’t know something because of poor training, let them know you were not trained and ask them to train you ASAP.

You need to find an escape and fast. It's pretty ballsy for HR to tell you that you're screwed, leadership is supporting this stalking, that your complaints will not be listened to. I guess HR really has their protective ducks in a row since they think telling you flat out nothing will be done won't result in a harassment case.
Update...leadership "voluntarily " transferred. Asswhole TM still spinning toxic lies using anyone who will listen. I totally ignore her and it drives her narcistic self off a cliff.

Same here.
High school type clicks, snubs to all not ‘in’, gossip (spread mostly from hr that knows all), full blown childish behavior, lovers spats, finger pointing and a lot of ‘but it’s not MY job - someone else needs to do it - said by most, work/stuff/messes left everywhere. It’s exhausting.
Advise is to stay out of it all as much as possible. Treat all fairly and favorably, do as you’re told and go home.

Back