Archived Information to other employers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was terminated for something that Target is having a rough time proving at the moment. My question is what information can Target give potential employers if they were to call? Can Target tell them you were terminated and the cause of it?

if anything, they will verify your name and dates of employment. Anything extra they choose to say opens them up to liability. So no matter how bad you were or how bad you pissed off the executive team, target won't tell prospective employers about it, mainly to cover themselves.

Target only records dates of employment and if you are rehireable or not. But from what I understand, if you are deemed non-rehireable. The status is shared with other retailers. But the reason will not be given.

If a TM was involved in a loss prevention or some other incident in which Target pressed charges, you will have it on your record.

Target only records on if you are rehireable or not. But from what I understand, if you are deemed non-rehireable. The report is shared with other retailers.

If a TM was involved in a loss prevention or some other incident in which Target pressed charges, you will have it on your record.

Is it in their best interest to share that with other retailers though? I had someone say that hiring managers share that kind of info with each other on careerbuilder.com or monster.com, but I kind of felt like since you're in competition with another company that you wouldn't wanna do them any favors like advising them not to hire someone who would turn into a problem. Idk though maybe they do as a proffesional courtesy.

I just overhead my STL talk to a person over the phone. The only information they can give out is to confirmed that the person is question was employed there and for how long. That's about it.

The only questions I've heard asked is:
1. Did this person work for you?
2. From when to when?
3. If given the opportunity, would you hire this person again?
If the answer to #3 is no, it's up to the prospective hire to offer an explanation. The former employer cannot offer anything more without opening themselves up to a libel suit.

Store Leadership isn't suppose to be answering ANY questions about team members who move onto to other retailers. They are suppose to refer the caller to the 1-800 number for "Team Member verification" hotline. We had an ETL fired just last year for giving a "poor" reference over the phone to another employer about a Team Member.

Guys - let's get real here. ETLs/TLs will talk to employers. I was a TL, and I did it multiple times for TMs over the years. It was always for TMs who I liked, did a great job for me, and I did it as a personal favor for them. Did I ever tell anyone else I did it or admit to it? Hell no. But guess what? It's illegal for that other employer to record you on the phone with them, so there is zero evidence you ever did it. In other words, it is 100% risk free unless you are a complete idiot and go around telling people you did it.

Before I got my current job with Sony I had the one ETL in the store I trusted give me a reference to my current manager as a favor to me. How do I know he did it for me? Because my current boss knows things about me I never told him that my ETL knows.

We had one ETL a few years ago get hired by the FBI. Two agents came in our store doing a background check on him before they hired. Think our STL talked when they came in flashing badges? Damn right she did. Two hours straight in the STL office with her. It was the talk of the store for a while.

So if you are Mr "No body likes me TM", then yea, no ETL/TL is going to say a word about you. But if you are someone particularly liked and ask the right ETL/TL you will can get them to talk good about you. If you are absolutely hated? Don't put it past an ETL to talk trash about you in private on the phone and then never admit to having done anything.

It happens. All the time.

Last edited:
Target doesn't tell anyone your termination reason code or rehire status however they do whatever they can to deny your unemployment claim, including providing the details you mention. So you don't have to worry if you are applying for a new job at a new company, but you do if you are talking about qualifying for unemployment.
I was terminated for something that Target is having a rough time proving at the moment. My question is what information can Target give potential employers if they were to call? Can Target tell them you were terminated and the cause of it?

If you are accused of stealing, that could affect your background result, but no, target doesn't share rehire status or termination reason code.
Target only records dates of employment and if you are rehireable or not. But from what I understand, if you are deemed non-rehireable. The status is shared with other retailers. But the reason will not be given.

It is against corporate policy for anyone to be a personal reference for a current or past target employee. That being said, if someone choses to do a personal favor and Target doesn't find out about it, then there's nothing that can be done of course. Employment verifications are done by The Work Number or www.theworknumber.com A very few types of EV's are done by the TMSC 800-394-1885 for things like disability, pharmacy team members, payroll witholding information, punch detail reports, etc. Verification of Benefits (to verify eligibility for medical, dental, etc) are done by the TBC = Target Benefits Center 800-828-5850.
Guys - let's get real here. ETLs/TLs will talk to employers. I was a TL, and I did it multiple times for TMs over the years. It was always for TMs who I liked, did a great job for me, and I did it as a personal favor for them. Did I ever tell anyone else I did it or admit to it? Hell no. But guess what? It's illegal for that other employer to record you on the phone with them, so there is zero evidence you ever did it. In other words, it is 100% risk free unless you are a complete idiot and go around telling people you did it.

Before I got my current job with Sony I had the one ETL in the store I trusted give me a reference to my current manager as a favor to me. How do I know he did it for me? Because my current boss knows things about me I never told him that my ETL knows.

We had one ETL a few years ago get hired by the FBI. Two agents came in our store doing a background check on him before they hired. Think our STL talked when they came in flashing badges? Damn right she did. Two hours straight in the STL office with her. It was the talk of the store for a while.

So if you are Mr "No body likes me TM", then yea, no ETL/TL is going to say a word about you. But if you are someone particularly liked and ask the right ETL/TL you will can get them to talk good about you. If you are absolutely hated? Don't put it past an ETL to talk trash about you in private on the phone and then never admit to having done anything.

It happens. All the time.

if anything, they will verify your name and dates of employment. Anything extra they choose to say opens them up to liability. So no matter how bad you were or how bad you pissed off the executive team, target won't tell prospective employers about it, mainly to cover themselves.

I guess I'm safe there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back