Archived Interesting comments from Target's Facebook page

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's the second surge from clearance, exchanges & spending gift cards that runs well into January.
Stores also go through "bounce back" - putting everything back to 'normal' (if you can call it that).

At my store the only people that got talked to was those who were unavailable Thursday about opening up their schedule. We didn't have a sign up sheet this year, so we pretty much got whatever they gave us.

It is not a attempt at trolling. I posted the same thing last year and I'll probably post the same thing next year because I'm sure there will still be people whining about having to work. Next year we will probably open at 6 p.m.

Point misser misses the point.

Let me explain this to you slowly since I guess you only have one response this time of year.

This thread isn't about people being upset they have to work Thanksgiving.

It's about SPOT LYING!

When they post for public consumption that they are taking volunteers and going out of their way to meet employees needs they aren't telling the truth (at least in 98% of the stores, I'll give you the few well run stores I hear about occasionally).

You're post had nothing to do with the thread and deserved every bit of the scorn it received.

So sorry. I didn't realize you were all so naive that you don't understand that everytime a corporation opens its mouth it is lying.

So sorry. I didn't realize you were all so naive that you don't understand that everytime a corporation opens its mouth it is lying.

Don't worry. Everyone who is insulting you are large hypocrites who have been either terminated from their position with target or are completely miserable with their lives because they will forever be at target.

These people will lash out against the company one day, and then defend it to the death when someone stands up against the corporation and wish termination on the poor employee who has the courage to do what none of them could.

Thebreakroom.org consists of terminated, miserable, vindictive, and manipulative employees who thrive for a sense of power and purpose which they will never obtain.

Enjoy working for peanuts while sacrificing your holiday.

If you all want change, learn to stand up and fight while being the change.

I fought, obtained my unemployment, and found much better employment which would never think about forcing me to sacrifice my holidays with family.

God doesn't want your good thoughts, he wants blood. Do nothing about it and you support the evil that is the corporations who take advantage of the little guy. Enjoy being evil. I mean 'neutral.'

At our store the most they asked us about holidays was if we were available to do overnights. Then when I went in to check for this week's schedule I was asked if I could open up my availability on Friday. But they have not asked us to volunteer at all.

My week is a little crazy.

Today I have to do C+S for 4 hours until 1. Then I have to come back from 7:30-2am. Thanksgiving I work 7:45-12:15 and then have to be back at 11-7:30 for Market. Then Saturday open Market 6-12:30 and then be back at 10pm for overnight ad. In total I am working 8 different shifts this week. 9 if I want to get technical since wednesday night is Market and then Black Friday/Ad setup after :hmm:

I still wonder how much revenue Target ACTUALLY makes by being open at 8 instead of midnight or later. You have to factor in training costs for those TMs they hire for literally JUST black friday, as well as expanded payroll. I know last year we tanked in sales and were down like 100k from projected.

Last edited:
I still wonder how much revenue Target ACTUALLY makes by being open at 8 instead of midnight or later. You have to factor in training costs for those TMs they hire for literally JUST black friday, as well as expanded payroll. I know last year we tanked in sales and were down like 100k from projected.

Here's an article that lists revenue from last year's Black Fridays. It's about opening times this year, but they give the 2012 numbers for the 8 stores listed. Walmart made more than all the others on the list put-together. "In 2012, Target's 1,778 stores had revenues of nearly $72 billion, more than 5% more than the prior year."

My store is a ULV, but usually comes in the Top 2 or 3 in terms of Black Friday sales for the shopping complex/mall.center/whateveritscalled we are in.

Last edited:

Here's an article that lists revenue from last year's Black Fridays. It's about opening times this year, but they give the 2012 numbers for the 8 stores listed. Walmart made more than all the others on the list put-together. "In 2012, Target's 1,778 stores had revenues of nearly $72 billion, more than 5% more than the prior year."

5% increase in revenue... how much more percentage in expenses? Electricity, payroll, heat, don't forget extra food for the longer shifts, now the gift cards they they are giving away...

Thank you for clarifying I never understood and I now I do it makes sense. I forgot about those giftcards lol

Why are so many people complaining? Working weekends and holidays is a part of retail. There are incentives like holiday pay and shift differential to ease the pain. My store asked everyone one by one if they would open their availability for certain time periods and offered a chance to win some rather large gift cards if you showed up for all of your shifts. If you don't like working holidays then get a boring office job!

Lauramc does have a valid point. At least, at her store, they're asking you to open up your availability. At my store, the new stl had told everyone that no one(tm, tl, & etl) could not take anytime off from beginning of Nov to the first week of Jan. That did not go over well with the team. The etl's had tm's & tl's complaining about it within minutes. Certain tm's did get some time off requests after talking to hr & their etl, based on first come, first serve or already requested approved time off.

It is not a attempt at trolling. I posted the same thing last year and I'll probably post the same thing next year because I'm sure there will still be people whining about having to work. Next year we will probably open at 6 p.m.

Point misser misses the point.

Let me explain this to you slowly since I guess you only have one response this time of year.

This thread isn't about people being upset they have to work Thanksgiving.

It's about SPOT LYING!

When they post for public consumption that they are taking volunteers and going out of their way to meet employees needs they aren't telling the truth (at least in 98% of the stores, I'll give you the few well run stores I hear about occasionally).

You're post had nothing to do with the thread and deserved every bit of the scorn it received.

We all know corporate is lying. But a lot of people on the fb site seem to be buying what they are selling, and that is what is infuriating.

I had a guest come up to me at guest services to do a return, and we got to talking about how we are open Thursday night. She asked if I would be there, and I said yes. She said that was terrible, and asked for corporate's number. I wanted to be sure she was just upset about that and she said she wanted to call to complain about our hours. I said I understood. She said again how terrible it was. I told her I had absolutely no opinion on the matter. She said that she has a job like that and she understands not having an official opinion and that we have to take care of each other and not just ourselves. I said I agreed with that and how much better off we would all be if we all thought that way.

So many people think that if the employees aren't out and out bitching about it, then they must like it. She was smart enough to understand my position and know where I was stuck in that conversation. The problem is, corporate is the only one that gets a real voice in this conversation, and when the rest of us don't want the blowback from protesting this madness, our silence is seen as liking it.

A few cashiers just under their 90 were complaining about having to work Thurs in earshot of guests & leadership.
All but one are gone amid a quiet warning about killing morale.

I was just thinking, that at my store, I haven't heard one team member complaint. I know the unhappiness is out there, but I think we all get that mentioning it could be a paycheck killer.

So we aren't supposed to call them on their shit?
At what point are we supposed to just accept that companies lie to and about us?
Aren't you just a little tired of it?
Especially when there are corporations that don't?

We've developed an attitude about politicians and businesses that is poisoning our country.
By expecting them to lie to us and allowing them to get away with it, we are spiraling down the drain.

Last edited:
Eeeks first week of November? That's brutal..... I know at my store some TMs are upset they didn't approved for asking off for the Holidays Mainly Christmas Eve ( That's a big one at my store) but the HR said numerous times they were not going to approve anyone's vacation so basically tough luck..... It was a total different story last year since we had a nice guy who was our HR person who would approve vacations first come basis but now that we have this new HR person she is denying everyone left and right and people are complaining left and right but tis the season!

Lauramc does have a valid point. At least, at her store, they're asking you to open up your availability. At my store, the new stl had told everyone that no one(tm, tl, & etl) could not take anytime off from beginning of Nov to the first week of Jan. That did not go over well with the team. The etl's had tm's & tl's complaining about it within minutes. Certain tm's did get some time off requests after talking to hr & their etl, based on first come, first serve or already requested approved time off.

The Wally where I worked told us back in July that all dates Nov. 1 to Jan. 1 were blacked out. We also had a black out period for the month leading up to inventory, which was in mid-August. I asked for a day off for a couple of weeks ago and was approved because it was only one day.
We weren't asked when we wanted to work for BF. I'm just looking forward to today's shift being over.

But how many stores have told their team members that the November/December/January dates were blacked out (leave requests/availablity changes automatically denied unless in case of emergency)? How many stores did not ask if their TMs wanted to work Thanksgiving day? How many stores are making their TMs work double shifts or more?

I remember the years when I worked Black Friday at Target was opening at 7am and closing at 11am. Then it was 6am. Then it was 4am. Then it was midnight. Retail companies are just getting greedier and more hostile trying to out do each other every year with little regard to their employees.

This!

My store did talk to everyone one on one about availability but then (atleast in my case) didn't listen. I worked weds night going into thanksgiving.... Got off at 5 am. Then I'll be back at 6 pm (asked if I could come in at 10...) then get off at 4 am...then I come back at 4 pm and close. Yea I get there's insentives and it does come with the territory, but I feel like they just keep asking more and more. Soon we all will be working 3 shifts on "Black Friday"

I posted the thread to discuss the Corps statement to the public that they are giving Team Members the option to work on Thanksgiving.

In my 9 years that I worked for Target, I worked for three stores. Only one store asked and worked with me to about not working Black Friday. And that was because I was working a second job with the local TV station, which I was working on the morning newscast, and they were also doing a live shoot from my store.

The other times, my stores told all team members that they are all 'Available' for Black Friday unless a good reason (sick family, death, babysitting situation, school, transportation needs) was given within weeks beforehand.

The only time they asked me and my other TMs anything was to either sign up for 8-12hr guaranteed shifts, or roll the dice to see if you are or not scheduled on Black Friday, or risk getting fewer hours than everyone else.

Last edited:
Worked at Target for nine years..love my boring office job and my four day weekend. It depended what department you were in whether you were asked your hours preference. Only once in the 9 years I was there was I asked. I even took it upon myself to ask to not open the year we opened at midnight, and was denied. Retail is NOT an essential service. People should be home with their families on Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back