Archived Interview - birthday cake question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know which question I am talking about? It goes something like this:

"What would you do if you saw a guest with a birthday cake in their cart and they asked you where the party hats are?"

I have had this in a few interviews (for different positions even) and I don't really know what they are exactly looking for. Any TL's or ETL's out there that have maybe asked this question in an interview before? Obviously they want to know how I would respond. But what (in their mind) is the best response to this situation?

Do you know which question I am talking about? It goes something like this:

"What would you do if you saw a guest with a birthday cake in their cart and they asked you where the party hats are?"

I have had this in a few interviews (for different positions even) and I don't really know what they are exactly looking for. Any TL's or ETL's out there that have maybe asked this question in an interview before? Obviously they want to know how I would respond. But what (in their mind) is the best response to this situation?

If I were conducting that interview, and basing it on what target looks for, I would want to hear that you inquired about the occasion, had good conversation with the guest, walked them to the party hats and even made suggestions about add-ons... Hey did you need to pick up some ice cream? Paper plates/napkins/cups? Find out their theme and vibe it up. Get them party favors that match their decor.

When I used to work for another retailer they would encourage us to even say things like, "thanks for shopping with us, make sure you come back and tell me how the party goes!"

In doing all of these things you are building rapport with the guest, ensuring guest loyalty, your guest servicing to the max, and you're boosting sales. You could even use that time to talk about a redcard too, if you feel so inclined.

Hope that helps!

If I were conducting that interview, and basing it on what target looks for, I would want to hear that you inquired about the occasion, had good conversation with the guest, walked them to the party hats and even made suggestions about add-ons... Hey did you need to pick up some ice cream? Paper plates/napkins/cups? Find out their theme and vibe it up. Get them party favors that match their decor.

When I used to work for another retailer they would encourage us to even say things like, "thanks for shopping with us, make sure you come back and tell me how the party goes!"

In doing all of these things you are building rapport with the guest, ensuring guest loyalty, your guest servicing to the max, and you're boosting sales. You could even use that time to talk about a redcard too, if you feel so inclined.

Hope that helps!

*you're gah typos

That question haunted me until I talked to my Etl about it haha. Nothing is that simple, right? But what they're looking for bis exactly what RedisRad said. They want you too above and beyond. Stop what you're doing, take them to the party hats and try to help them find whatever else they need for their party. Suggest other items, etc.

Since you'd be applying at a SuperTarget store, you'd wanna suggest add-ons or ideas from the Grocery Aisles. That's what there asking for.

Also, when there finally read to check out, talk about the RedCard. They really would love that :p

I had that question during my recent team lead interview. It was worded slightly different. Apparently I was't suppose to know where the party hats were so I hypothetically searched for in my PDA walked them over to them and asked the kid what they wanted for their birthday.

I've never had this question. I'll probably stare at them dumbfounded...

It's only supposed to be asked at SuperTarget stores, and Greatlands (Now called Regular Target's) with Bakery's. A normal target, doesn't sell birthday cakes, so, such question probably won't be asked..

Last edited:
Just because we don't sell cakes doesn't mean we can't hypothetically put ourselves in the situation and explain how we would offer guest service...

My store is PFresh and has just started asking this question during interviews. I know it threw at least one person off because they thought it was a trick question.

If they asked me this question I'd have to seriously consider telling them to please excuse myself so I can visit the restroom to finish vomiting.

If they asked me this question I'd have to seriously consider telling them to please excuse myself so I can visit the restroom to finish vomiting.

Dude, what the **** did target do to you? Maybe I've drank too much of the koolaid recently but did an ETL kick your dog or something?

Lol, if you seriously have to ask if you drank the koolaid you probably did. Actually think about the question being asked and how corny/silly it is.

Lol, if you seriously have to ask if you drank the koolaid you probably did. Actually think about the question being asked and how corny/silly it is.

I admit it's the special Olympics equivalent of an interview question. But vomiting? They're asking you a simple interview question, you're not being asked to lick the dried cum off of a horse's ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back