Archived Inventory prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

glo

Hi guys. One of the ETLs chose me to lead the sales floor portion of inventory. I've seen it happening a long time ago but have never taken part. I've read through the guide and it really doesn't seem like there's a lot to it. My prep team should basically be zoning, aiming for accuracy in keeping the same items aligned and not necessarily to POG, right? That along with tagging diaplays, precounts, reshopping, and getting overstock off the floor? Is that it? Should we be aiming to do anything else?

Like I said, it's my first time doing this and last year's process was all sorts of screwed up so i'd like to get it right. Any suggestions?

Also, a few weeks out, have price accuracy further "as is" or online clearance items that won't scan on inventory night. And have them pull unticketed SL items to get barcodes as well.
Yeah, I've been marking down Online Items, Repackages, and whatnot down and will start having the other Team Leads removing them from the floor tomorrow. Guest Service is also defecting out these items.

I was really just feeling like I was missing something as far as prep went. Seems pretty simple to me.

It is pretty straightforward, there's just a LOT of ground to cover.

yes definitely focus on clearing out the AS-IS items now. otherwise you will be doing alot of financials on inventory night. all thats needed is a superzone or 4x4 of each section, exactly what is said. all the inventory team will do is scan the first item in a row, count, and then move to the next item so it doesnt HAVE to be to POG just aligned correctly. you definitely have the salesfloor part of it covered already... its just alot of salesfloor to cover so hopefully you have enough time to do it. Price Accuracy can be a big help by lowering repacks and online returns weekly or twice weekly. they can also pull softlines items from the racks without barcodes (something my team does anyway.. so its no big deal)

Just FYI, I had 5k in shortage in dollar spot, and I learned that the RGIS team just scans the shelf label and counts those items, so if you have a dump bin, make a label for each item inside or they will skip it. I audited a section that had "74" written on the tag and I counted 115 pieces just on the first shelf.

Thanks for the advice guys! Prep is coming along great. Toys/Sporting Goods, Domestics/Bedding, Electronics, Active, Hoseiry, Lingerie, Boys/Girls, Stationary, Kitchen/Housewares, Pharmacy, Chemical, Pet are all done. Left a little early this morning and I'm expecting Cosmetics and most of Grocery, HBA, and RTW to be done. I just wish the day team would focus on maintenance though!!

Pretty much the entire backroom is done besides our bulk pallet UPC sheets, furniture and bulk plastic.

Spent 3 hrs in boys/girls basics today... That was a lot of fun.

I'm just curious how much time you were giving for inventory prep.

I did it last year with a small group and we were given what seemed like a very short amount of time to complete everything. I imagine having inventory done correctly is pretty important, but there were definitely parts that weren't correct although there wasn't anything I could do because we weren't given the time and the ETL in charge didn't seem to care. So just kind of curious how much time you have.

Last edited:
I'm just curious how much time you were giving for inventory prep.

I did it last year with a small group and we were given what seemed like a very short amount of time to complete everything. I imagine having inventory done correctly is pretty important, but there were definitely parts that weren't correct although there wasn't anything I could do because we weren't given the time and the ETL in charge didn't seem to care. So just kind of curious how much time you have.
4 overnights with a team of at least 3 including myself. One night I had 7 or 8, another I had most of flow for 2 hrs. One night it was me and 2 others, and the other was 4 including myself. I think we may have gone a little overboard with the hours, but I think we'll be glad we did.

4 overnights with a team of at least 3 including myself. One night I had 7 or 8, another I had most of flow for 2 hrs. One night it was me and 2 others, and the other was 4 including myself. I think we may have gone a little overboard with the hours, but I think we'll be glad we did.

Thanks!
I'm assuming the overnights were full shifts? Like eight hours?

We were given three days during store hours. There were 3-5 of us each day (including myself) with a total of four or five hours each day. It definitely wasn't enough especially because half of the people would just walk up and down the aisles chatting and not touch anything, but then say it was completed.

Myself and another person showed the ETL in charge an aisle they said they completed and it had at least five pretty obvious things out of place and most aisles they did were similar. The ETL then told us to follow behind them and redo/check all of their aisles which seemed pretty ridiculous to me. We ended up breaking off and doing our own sections which I feel were done well.

But even if we were all working I don't think it would have gotten everything done correctly.

I worked at a clothing store before Target and inventory was super important there. I'm assuming it is also very important at Target, right? Or did it really not matter having things out of place?

Last edited:
Hi guys. One of the ETLs chose me to lead the sales floor portion of inventory. I've seen it happening a long time ago but have never taken part. I've read through the guide and it really doesn't seem like there's a lot to it. My prep team should basically be zoning, aiming for accuracy in keeping the same items aligned and not necessarily to POG, right? That along with tagging diaplays, precounts, reshopping, and getting overstock off the floor? Is that it? Should we be aiming to do anything else?

Like I said, it's my first time doing this and last year's process was all sorts of screwed up so i'd like to get it right. Any suggestions?
Yeah, it's just zoning product by DPCI on the floor so inventory can count things quickly and accurately. I helped sales floor do half the store before inventory, was only 3 of us, took 10 hours. We just made carts of items that werent in their home to be placed back in their home and sent nothing to backstock.

Thanks!
I'm assuming the overnights were full shifts? Like eight hours?

We were given three days during store hours. There were 3-5 of us each day (including myself) with a total of four or five hours each day. It definitely wasn't enough especially because half of the people would just walk up and down the aisles chatting and not touch anything, but then say it was completed.

Myself and another person showed the ETL in charge an aisle they said they completed and it had at least five pretty obvious things out of place and most aisles they did were similar. The ETL then told us to follow behind them and redo/check all of their aisles which seemed pretty ridiculous to me. We ended up breaking off and doing our own sections which I feel were done well.

But even if we were all working I don't think it would have gotten everything done correctly.

I worked at a clothing store before Target and inventory was super important there. I'm assuming it is also very important at Target, right? Or did it really not matter having things out of place?
Yeah, they were full shifts. When I had people, I would pair them up to work an aisle at a time. I think people work faster and are happier that way. I quickly checked through all the aisles as they were finishing them. It worked really well. Working during store hours sound disasterous to me. You can get so much more done overnight.

The ETL running our inventory was great. We get along well and he cares about how we do. Like I said, last year's inventory was horrible and he had the pleasure of starting at my store right after it ended.

The items don't necessarily need to be in the right spots, the items behind them just have to be the same. Inventory is very important and can really effect raises throughout the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back