Archived Is becoming a GSA worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My answer - if you have any aspirations of becoming a TL in the future, do it. It gives you leadership responsibilities, and eventually if you do a good enough job you'll get put on the bench. Stores differ, however, so that may not happen as quick as you would like. Yes, the pay is less than ideal for the responsibility the position entails, but it's a stepping stone. Look at it this way... you don't have to worry about writing reviews, issuing Corrective Actions, or coaching team members on performance (other than a quick coaching on RedCards. Gotta be careful because you toe the line a lot there). As much as they will look at things like RedCards, Cashier speed, and other results they look at how you lead, how the team responds to you. If you can do that successfully, the results will happen without much prodding. I have to agree 100% with @Firefox - the job is so unpredictable. You always have to know what is going on, and it can get crazy and overwhelming at times, but if you are a person that thrives on a fast paced environment you'll do fine. You just take it one issue at a time. Good luck!

Some stores empower the GSA even more than usual and allow them to give performance feedback to cashiers, it's not documented but my store allows it to happen and the GSTLs will back the GSA up and document a TM if they aren't improving based on the feedback they received from their GSA.

Some stores empower the GSA even more than usual and allow them to give performance feedback to cashiers, it's not documented but my store allows it to happen and the GSTLs will back the GSA up and document a TM if they aren't improving based on the feedback they received from their GSA.
My store is the same. I mean look at my signature, GSA works for some as a great stepping stone to TL.

I was a electronics and then was asked to be a GSA. It is a lot of BS, but if you can get through it and drive results and not lose your mind then it will get your far and get you noticed and when trying to promote to TL or above of you have a degree it'll speak volumes.

This is kinda upsetting, I felt almost honored like I was doing a good job...

You probably were doing a great job and that's why they considered you for the position, you should still feel some pride from that. We just don't want you to get into it without knowing the risks. For all we know, your store has a perfect leadership team that fully supports their GSAs, and it might be a great place to be. However, many stores aren't so in general I would advise people to avoid the position unless they know what they are getting into and have plans for further growth in Target.

This is kinda upsetting, I felt almost honored like I was doing a good job...
honestly it is something to feel honored about. Your job in the store is the hardest and most important one and I have to facts to back that up. GSAs have leadership responsibilities but not the leadership power. You have a say so in how you run your workcenter and you supervise other TMs. Your constantly having to drive results where nothing can be finite and it's ever changing. Other TLs have it easy because their work centers arent based around the guests mood and time of day. Tie a revision and set an adjacency on time...you're done. Make sure everything that's in the back is true back stock so there's no holes on the floor....EASY. You on the other hand have to handle guest issues, recycling, cafe, starbucks (if you have one), bathrooms, cashier attitudes, ETL strife, STL strife, you're the first person a visitor will seek out when they make a stop at your store for a visit (announced or unannounced)....do you honestly think after listing all these things they'd just put ANYBODY up at the front? (not taking anything away from anyones workcenter in the least but a lot does go into the front end other than getting guests checked out fast and recognizing TMs who get a red card)....PLUS i'm not sure if it's just in my region or Target wide but the front end is a HUMONGOUS focus and they're pretty much saying if whoever isn't cutting it to move them immediately in anyway possible.

It can be an honor if yours is a smooth-running store that values development of its team.
If your store is dysfunctional, however, you could look a little closer & notice the high turnover in that position & that experienced TMs want nothing to do with it.
As a result, leadership will attempt to massage a new TM's ego telling them they have potential & GSA is a stepping stone to greater things when they have no intention of moving you up as long as you tolerate the abuse heaped upon you.

I was pressured to take the position since I'm on the TL bench and it would be the next step for me before TL. I wasn't excited at all and was regretting my decision, but I'm surprised that I like it. Red cards are a pain, guests are a pain, I negotiated a higher raise than the 50 cents but still some days I feel like it's not enough pay for the work. You really are doing the work of a GSTL without the pay. I do enjoy the guest service side of it, like making it right for the guests (the guests who are nice and appreciate it). And I enjoy the cashiers and speed weaving, and the "managing people" side of the job. I'd only take it if you intend on moving up the ranks at target, it's a great boost for TL interviews. Other than that, nah. There's other ways of moving through the ranks.

If you desire to be a TL than go for it. It could also help show that you have leader experience if you are applying for another job down the line. Just do NOT let the false promises or hopes of a team lead job allow you to get taken advantage of! If they can get you to do more jobs but not have to promote you than they will!

I was pressured to take the position since I'm on the TL bench and it would be the next step for me before TL. I wasn't excited at all and was regretting my decision, but I'm surprised that I like it. Red cards are a pain, guests are a pain, I negotiated a higher raise than the 50 cents but still some days I feel like it's not enough pay for the work. You really are doing the work of a GSTL without the pay. I do enjoy the guest service side of it, like making it right for the guests (the guests who are nice and appreciate it). And I enjoy the cashiers and speed weaving, and the "managing people" side of the job. I'd only take it if you intend on moving up the ranks at target, it's a great boost for TL interviews. Other than that, nah. There's other ways of moving through the ranks.
completely agree, being a GSA makes going through interviews when your going up for promotions makes it so easy to get situations and answers to the questions, when the DTL was asking me questions for my promotion I honestly had so many situations that didn't even necessarily have to prepare, I just had to remember the situation in detail.

So my interview is next week, but I just found out a GSTL was lying about me to TMs. So I immediately went to the other GSTL and explained the situation and she said she'd talk to the other one, and keep me anonymous, but so the GSTL who was talking about me came up to me and was like I'm so excited for your interview!! And I was like...thanks. And then she went on to talk crap about this ETL and being like oh I heard she was saying things about you don't take it too hard she's (insert age) and she thinks she knows everything. And I got annoyed and just walked away, but I'm still so angry but before this I really liked that GSTL I just Idk if I should pursue this anymore if I have to deal with that crap

If your store has a history of developing team leaders from within and especially promoting them from GSA then yes.

If your GSAs have had a high turnover rate and none of them seem to be getting promoted, then run as fast as you can.

This is the best way to put it. GSA is a leadership position so a lot of stores when promoting from within look at GSAs, PAs, etc for their TLs. The pay as a GSA sucks but in the long run the benefits can be worth it.

"Do you enjoy being paid the same as the electronics TMs whose only responsibilities are "don't lose your keys", "don't let shit get stolen" and "ask every guest if they want a red card. If you want. I guess."?"

I agree GSA is up there among the worst jobs in the store, but I resent this statement by that redditor.

Being a GSTL-lite sucks for sure, but so does being responsible for 2 of the most year roundhighly shopped areas, being forced to learn at least the basics for literally every other work center except market and cafe to stay afloat, while selling redcards AND promoting AAR while explaing things to old people who are very stubborn/willfully ignorant.

F that redditor.

/Endrant

That said, OP, don't do it unless there's a clear-cut avenue to bigger and better. I've yet to meet a GSA who likes the job.

It's been a very obnoxious process. I had four interviews, which my GSTLs were even surprised in regards to that. I won't get an answer till one person in HR gets back (supposedly) my GSTLs keep telling me they're 99.999% sure I've got it, to the point where they've both taught me how to close. And, in addition to all of that our current GSA didn't show up for work the other day, and I had a four hour cashier shift (opening) and the head of the store walked up to me, handed me the keys and then told me I'd be watching lanes for the day. It was a VERY busy morning, I had had absolutely zero training and hadn't even been offered the job and I was pissed. I'm starting to think this might not be a good idea but I'm too far in now, I think...

"Do you enjoy being paid the same as the electronics TMs whose only responsibilities are "don't lose your keys", "don't let shit get stolen" and "ask every guest if they want a red card. If you want. I guess."?"

I agree GSA is up there among the worst jobs in the store, but I resent this statement by that redditor.

Being a GSTL-lite sucks for sure, but so does being responsible for 2 of the most year roundhighly shopped areas, being forced to learn at least the basics for literally every other work center except market and cafe to stay afloat, while selling redcards AND promoting AAR while explaing things to old people who are very stubborn/willfully ignorant.

F that redditor.

/Endrant

That said, OP, don't do it unless there's a clear-cut avenue to bigger and better. I've yet to meet a GSA who likes the job.

Every other workcenter? Hmmm.

Every other workcenter? Hmmm.
Hardlines, occasional softlines stuff depending on POG, at my store we do our own price change, pulls, and instocks. Not to mention being always on the phone and/or dealing with guests. Merch protection, POG..you name it, electronics team members, or at least the ones who take ownership of the area, are jacks of all trades.

.50 cents over base is a joke for both us and GSA

Hardlines, occasional softlines stuff depending on POG, at my store we do our own price change, pulls, and instocks. Not to mention being always on the phone and/or dealing with guests. Merch protection, POG..you name it, electronics team members, or at least the ones who take ownership of the area, are jacks of all trades.

.50 cents over base is a joke for both us and GSA

So we could throw you in the backroom and you'd be fine, I take it?

I took your response as referring to a GSA and not an electronics TM. I'm sure you do a fine job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back