Is Being TL Stressful?

My ETL became my SD. All I have to say is a bad team and bad upper management just ruins it. I’m a TL And I can fully say I hate my SD. Between her and my HR, they choose favorites and are the best of friends. But the pay is good, so obviously I would never quit.

If there's an upside to being a young male teamlead, it's that as long as they're not a COMPLETE dufuss, they're going to get all of the tail they want, without even trying to!!!

It was nauseating to have to watch the blatent flirting up from girl TMs towards these male team leads, who otherwise would never have gotten the time of day from most of those girls.

I've been with the company a little over 20 years, I've been a TL for 9 months. Target was actually my second job for a number of years and decided to give it a chance to see where I could go. I'm starting to regret that decision. I'll just say you'll never know unless you try for yourself, you may like it and be successful at it as long as you work hard and go after it

Sounds rough being an actual TL. I've been given TL duties in the past and have been told I have leadership qualities in me, which made me excited about being a TL sometime in the future, but, I don't think I want it. Especially after seeing what some of you either went through or are currently going through. The TL I told you all about has left the store. I got to talk and hang with her before she left. She was in a rough place. She was really beating herself up. She blamed her team here and there but, I can tell that it was just the frustration talking because, she told me how much she cared for them all, but, how she kept failing to drive them to their full potential. Every problem she brought up began with "I" or "me". At some point, I actually wanted to hug her and tell her that she wasn't the problem, but, she probably wouldn't have listened if I did. Before she left, she said that she hopes that the next person who leads them treats them with respect and has the drive to push the team to their best.

I didn't know a job could do that to you. It made her feel like she wasn't worth anything and convinced her that she was the problem. I felt so goddamn bad when we spoke. I'm actually angry for her. I want to go up to her team and tell them that they suck so fucking much that the hardest working part of their team called it quits. That's scary, leadership, at least at Target, sounds like a real drag.

This is burn-out. As in the actual moment of burning out. The lead up of high stress, probably call outs, and giving up publically are the key indicators.

Target culture uses words like "coach" and "accountability" because they want it to be a positive system. It isn't. From the top all the way down to the SD the actual culture pushed is "Coach them out". Rarely ever do ETL/SDs coach you as a TL and give you any advice or help you to succeed. The conversation is "you need to do better". Most of them have no clue how you can do that, but red metrics = bad. Thats what it boils down to.

Here's a personal example.

I was a Sr.TL in a medium volume store. Originally I had backroom, instocks, plano. Great - no issues. Clean backroom, excellent brla (solid green for a year), strong transition process (sorted by aisle and palletized). Rev log top in the region.

We picked up a new SD who had some issues recognizing that best practice is more of a guideline...and forced us to adhere strictly to some things that had been changed. We had a separate flow tl and ran one down on headcount for plano in order to do that. The process worked incredibly well.

She booted the flow tl, added that to my plate, and pushed us towards some bastardized version of modernization which completely shit the bed. You can read my previous posts if you want more info. Her final quote to me was "I dont need to know how the process works to manage it". She took my leadership status forms and tried to turn them into coachings, the HR ETL wouldn't sign them. Every attempt I made to ask for advice or ideas was met with "You need to figure it out"

I went through the various stages of burn out before eventually deciding I wasn't going to let her fuck me like that, so I coordinated with the HR ETL (who also hated her). The HR ETL transferred out, price and plano TL retired. Then I just called out every truck day leaving her to hold the bag while I found a new job.

Your TL hit burnout and gave up. Once you get there, theres no coming back. Now she may have been a shit leader, we'll never know. But I would bet your store leadership didn't do her any favors as she was sinking.

My last day I was LOD and the RVP (f you Lydia) showed up. Turned my keys in and left when she walked though the door. SD was fired 3 weeks later.

I’m sitting here about to go work and my stomach is in knots. Friday I was called into the HR office again so my ETL could coach me. It was 2 against 1.

Nothing I do is right.

I was so proud to get promoted to TL. I still am, but I no longer have the joy and enthusiasm I once had. They’ve sucked that right out of me.

I think being a successful TL will depend on your store’s ETLS and SD. Most HR/ETLs are going to side with your ETL.

If you’re going for a promotion to TL I wish you luck. Remember this forum is a wonderful resource. Also, you can always head back to domestics and silently scream into a pillow.

I’m sitting here about to go work and my stomach is in knots. Friday I was called into the HR office again so my ETL could coach me. It was 2 against 1.

Nothing I do is right.

I was so proud to get promoted to TL. I still am, but I no longer have the joy and enthusiasm I once had. They’ve sucked that right out of me.

I think being a successful TL will depend on your store’s ETLS and SD. Most HR/ETLs are going to side with your ETL.

If you’re going for a promotion to TL I wish you luck. Remember this forum is a wonderful resource. Also, you can always head back to domestics and silently scream into a pillow.

I was very lucky that I had worked with this HR ETL for over a decade. She was and is very much "for the team". I still have a great relationship with her even now, years after moving on.

The easy answer is yes, it's very stressful. If you need the money then go ahead and give it a try. I personally only got a $3.15 pay bump and after about a month or two I realized the promotion wasn't worth it. Still I gave it an entire year so I can write it on my resume. I think my biggest issue was leading the same team where I was once just a regular TM for and on top of that being the youngest TL in the entire store. It was awkward giving out countless coachings for work performance and attendance to try and keep my team focused. Like a lot of people have said on here a lot of has to do with your ETL and STL having your back and according to them I did almost everything wrong, and come November when we got all that extra freight I didn't get any extra help and it was a very horrible experience. I brought work home with me often thinking about how can I do a better job and it was just ruining my life at home. Just always keep in mind that you can always DEMOTE yourself back to a regular TM. That's exactly what I and many TL's at my store have done and let me tell you it was the best decision for all of our lives. I put in for demotion exactly 1 year to the day into the job. After demotions we were much happier people. Believe it or not fast forward a couple years later and I once again want to try and become a TL, but this time for a different team other than the one I'm currently working for and just maybe a different store at that. I have a better understanding of what I did wrong and what I could of done better because I was being trained by a new stronger TL who see's me as a TL again in the future and he always telling me how I should run things if I were him, last but not least new ETL's are running my store so I would like to give it a try again.

The easy answer is yes, it's very stressful. If you need the money then go ahead and give it a try. I personally only got a $3.15 pay bump and after about a month or two I realized the promotion wasn't worth it. Still I gave it an entire year so I can write it on my resume. I think my biggest issue was leading the same team where I was once just a regular TM for and on top of that being the youngest TL in the entire store. It was awkward giving out countless coachings for work performance and attendance to try and keep my team focused. Like a lot of people have said on here a lot of has to do with your ETL and STL having your back and according to them I did almost everything wrong, and come November when we got all that extra freight I didn't get any extra help and it was a very horrible experience. I brought work home with me often thinking about how can I do a better job and it was just ruining my life at home. Just always keep in mind that you can always DEMOTE yourself back to a regular TM. That's exactly what I and many TL's at my store have done and let me tell you it was the best decision for all of our lives. I put in for demotion exactly 1 year to the day into the job. After demotions we were much happier people. Believe it or not fast forward a couple years later and I once again want to try and become a TL, but this time for a different team other than the one I'm currently working for and just maybe a different store at that. I have a better understanding of what I did wrong and what I could of done better because I was being trained by a new stronger TL who see's me as a TL again in the future and he always telling me how I should run things if I were him, last but not least new ETL's are running my store so I would like to give it a try again.
I found out recently that things in my store are a bit different. You are not allowed to demote yourself. Your only option is to quit and reapply, and if they don't like you, you will not get rehired. Some TLs have tried before, and they were faced with either quitting and risk becoming non-rehireable or eventually getting fired. Some even quit on good terms are were still not rehired.

This is burn-out. As in the actual moment of burning out. The lead up of high stress, probably call outs, and giving up publically are the key indicators.

Target culture uses words like "coach" and "accountability" because they want it to be a positive system. It isn't. From the top all the way down to the SD the actual culture pushed is "Coach them out". Rarely ever do ETL/SDs coach you as a TL and give you any advice or help you to succeed. The conversation is "you need to do better". Most of them have no clue how you can do that, but red metrics = bad. Thats what it boils down to.

Here's a personal example.

I was a Sr.TL in a medium volume store. Originally I had backroom, instocks, plano. Great - no issues. Clean backroom, excellent brla (solid green for a year), strong transition process (sorted by aisle and palletized). Rev log top in the region.

We picked up a new SD who had some issues recognizing that best practice is more of a guideline...and forced us to adhere strictly to some things that had been changed. We had a separate flow tl and ran one down on headcount for plano in order to do that. The process worked incredibly well.

She booted the flow tl, added that to my plate, and pushed us towards some bastardized version of modernization which completely shit the bed. You can read my previous posts if you want more info. Her final quote to me was "I dont need to know how the process works to manage it". She took my leadership status forms and tried to turn them into coachings, the HR ETL wouldn't sign them. Every attempt I made to ask for advice or ideas was met with "You need to figure it out"

I went through the various stages of burn out before eventually deciding I wasn't going to let her fuck me like that, so I coordinated with the HR ETL (who also hated her). The HR ETL transferred out, price and plano TL retired. Then I just called out every truck day leaving her to hold the bag while I found a new job.

Your TL hit burnout and gave up. Once you get there, theres no coming back. Now she may have been a shit leader, we'll never know. But I would bet your store leadership didn't do her any favors as she was sinking.

My last day I was LOD and the RVP (f you Lydia) showed up. Turned my keys in and left when she walked though the door. SD was fired 3 weeks later.
Wow! Your SD sounded like a nightmare, and I'm glad she's out of the job now. I'm sorry that you had to go through all that crap though. My TL was a good person. I talked to her team and they told me that she was a good leader but, easy to take advantage of. Which is weird because, she did end up firing people before for taking advantage. I haven't heard it myself but, I heard that the ETLs sometimes make fun of her or make references to her when things in her department are not looking great. Pretty fucked if it's true. Management just seems like it's made out of all of our old high school bullies.

Nothing I do is right.

Hang in there! I don't know how bad things are for you but, I hope you find a way to make it better or find a way out before things get too bad. The problem is management not developing their leaders to be better. Maybe Target just isn't the place to develop leadership.

Leading a team where you were previously a team member is tough. In my district you usually have to head a different department or store if you promote internally. when I started with Spot, I became friends with one of my coworkers. When he eventually became my boss, i had to act differently and more professional around him.

i was offered plenty of times from different etls. ive said no, not even Pfresh assistant. i am trying to stay in target not get stressed and quit. ive seen amateur TL's and they leave after 3-4 months.

It's not horrible... I've been with Spot for just about 6 years. 3 as a Backroom TM, 1 as a "benched" TL, a weird year when I went on LOA to pursue another job, and just about a year as an official TL. I've been at the same store since, and have been a Market TL and now in Flex, which is the team I ran when I was benched. It's definitely challenging, as some of them have been on the team longer than you. They may still see you as part of the OG crew, which happens in my store. It's nothing too major, as performance conversations with them are pretty straight forward, and they definitely understand the position I'm in, but as long as there's that mutual respect it's no biggie.

I haven't been coached yet, I've had some meal violations, but nothing due to my performance. I've noticed a lot of TLs in my store don't really get coached, and we've only had one case of performancing-out due to the TL unfortunately getting burn-out, but that's an entirely separate post.

ASANTS, but the job is definitely challenging, in a weirdly good way. I come from the highest volume store in my district, pretty high up there in region, too. I've worked at other places, and the amount of planning, leading and executing I've had to do at Spot definitely made other job's a piece of cake.

I found out recently that things in my store are a bit different. You are not allowed to demote yourself. Your only option is to quit and reapply, and if they don't like you, you will not get rehired. Some TLs have tried before, and they were faced with either quitting and risk becoming non-rehireable or eventually getting fired. Some even quit on good terms are were still not rehired.
Talk to HR about it or call the hotline. They even have demotion pay guidelines so it shouldn't be a store by store basis. I can be wrong though. When ETLs and STLs and all those big boys and gals don't like you I think they can say many things that aren't true just to get you to quit so they don't have to deal with you anymore. Who knows maybe it is a ASANTS thing I'm not completely sure.

Leading a team where you were previously a team member is tough. In my district you usually have to head a different department or store if you promote internally. when I started with Spot, I became friends with one of my coworkers. When he eventually became my boss, i had to act differently and more professional around him.
I heard about this too. That's how it should be but my store was always known "To do things their way" only because we are the biggest store in the city/state.

The most stressful thing is when your version of how you're performing is different than your SD / ETLs. Doesn't even need to be that you're being coached out.

For example I personally feel like I'm absolutely kicking ass in this Market role I'm in, the workcenter has improved at least 2x since I've gotten to my store and district leadership always calls out my P fresh as being the best looking she's seen when she visits my store.

I Haven't been personally pulled aside to be congratulated on any of this, and instead my conversations with my SD are always what needs to be done and what's not done and not about anything I have done, which I feel is a lot.

She's not the worst, just doesn't realize how much small format TLs actually do.

It's a role you sometimes have to work in wondering if you're doing good or not even if you yourself think so.

Yes. It goes from stressful and frustrating on a good day to miserable and demoralizing on a bad day. And there are very, very few good days...
I'm in the process right now of trying to become a GSTL. At least I am already a GSA and I take the keys whenever I'm there. You just have to remain positive and have fun in the process

I feel that, I'm aiming for GSTL right now and it was weird when I started GSA. Now everyone just comes to me for directions

I am not even a team lead and job is stressful. I don't know how my team lead does it she is given 4 departments to run. She runs shit ave,Starbucks,Deli and Bakery. She sounds so frustrated whenever HR cut her perfectly made schedule to save money. They left shit ave half an hour to an hour without coverage sometimes leaving her pick up the slack when she was need elsewhere. Seting up interviews when people quit was hard because people didn't want the shit ave job. Obviously it not happening right now due to the virus but damn that's a lot of work for one person.

Yeah, I’d definitely say it’s stressful considering I’ve watched our ETL/ SD break (or try to break) probably our most hardworking TL time and time again. My TL gets no help... just “well, this needs to be better.” It’s one of the reasons I became a GSA because my TLs (all left, but one) at the time had so much on their plate and I wanted to help.

I get burnt out just getting scheduled under Service and Engagement TL for an entire weekend with no other leadership to help. SD literally told me to respond to calls about guests wanting to speak to a store manager and got legit mad when I called her for a vendor that day because I can take care of it. The only reason I stay is because that one TL deserves sooooo much better and I know I can bring them some relief. I can run things in the front while they do the long list of tasks from ETL/ SD or we can tag team the tasks to get them done faster.

It’s just sad that this happens too often. Last year our long time TL left with no job lined up. Family and kids, but he just quietly put in his two weeks because he literally couldn’t take it. Other front end TL quit took less pay somewhere else only to end up doing that and working as a cashier at another Target because “he knew it all and zero pressure now.” Another left with absolutely nothing lined up. It’s crazy, but they are allllll so much happier now.

Back